Danny DiLiberto Sports Illustrated Article

junksecret

Certified Fish
Silver Member
I've seen a few posts about Danny DiLiberto in recent days including Willie Betmore's get-together and thought some might enjoy this.

It's a really good article about Danny D from a Sports Illustrated article in 1977 entitled Easy Times The Hard Way.

It's a melancholy tale, but a great read IMO.

Joe
 
junksecret said:
I've seen a few posts about Danny DiLiberto in recent days including Willie Betmore's get-together and thought some might enjoy this.

It's a really good article about Danny D from a Sports Illustrated article in 1977 entitled Easy Times The Hard Way.

It's a melancholy tale, but a great read IMO.

Joe

Cool Article. He's coming to Chicago Sunday night or Monday and I'm taking a 2 hour lesson from him and some other friends of mine are doing the same.:D
 
I just read the entire article for the first time in many years. It was a sad story, that hasn't changed much over the years. Here it is 30 years later, and Danny is still scuffling to get by. He has had a rich, but not so rewarding life. It should be required reading for young pool players. Of course, that wouldn't stop many of them. The game has a strong allure that can grab you and not let go.
 
jay helfert said:
I just read the entire article for the first time in many years. It was a sad story, that hasn't changed much over the years. Here it is 30 years later, and Danny is still scuffling to get by. He has had a rich, but not so rewarding life. It should be required reading for young pool players. Of course, that wouldn't stop many of them. The game has a strong allure that can grab you and not let go.

What happens when he's finally too old to "scuffle by"? Without a pension or social security, how can guys like that live? everything is so expensive.
What really happens to guys like that?
Sad.
 
grandpapkusky said:
What happens when he's finally too old to "scuffle by"? Without a pension or social security, how can guys like that live? everything is so expensive.
What really happens to guys like that?
Sad.
Well hopefully they have made some friends who will take them under there wing so to speak and let them live with them or a room owner makes them the houseman. :cool:
 
I just talked with Danny a couple of days ago. He was in the middle of a lesson he was giving. Then he was going to the midwest where he had a couple of lessons on the way. He told me he was going to visit Jeannete Lee and show her some one pocket moves.
He is not a slacker and works very hard to support his family. He invited me down to Florida to come and stay with his family so he has a home and everything. He is doing well. The only problem as was well noted on the forum is that he has a daughter who had a health problem and he struggles to deal with that. So if any of you can take his lessons when he comes to your local area that would be a great help. Plus you would be getting some fantastic instruction plus stories that you wouldnt believe. About Fats, Lassiter, Crane, Balsis, to todays players. He has played them all. He in my opinion is a great great man and is one of my heroes.
 
yobagua said:
I just talked with Danny a couple of days ago. He was in the middle of a lesson he was giving. Then he was going to the midwest where he had a couple of lessons on the way. He told me he was going to visit Jeannete Lee and show her some one pocket moves.
He is not a slacker and works very hard to support his family. He invited me down to Florida to come and stay with his family so he has a home and everything. He is doing well. The only problem as was well noted on the forum is that he has a daughter who had a health problem and he struggles to deal with that. So if any of you can take his lessons when he comes to your local area that would be a great help. Plus you would be getting some fantastic instruction plus stories that you wouldnt believe. About Fats, Lassiter, Crane, Balsis, to todays players. He has played them all. He in my opinion is a great great man and is one of my heroes.

He is giving some lessons in Indianapolis to Jeannette, Williebetmore and Elvicash from this forum and a bunch of other people today. He may have already started yesterday because he and Willie were headed to the poolhall.

I'm going to talk to him Sunday and he's going to be up here in Chicago Monday until ??? I've got guys booked in for about 8-12 hours depending on if he is available Tuesday. If anyone is interested in hooking up with Danny for a lesson in the Chicago area email me at gwtlaw@aol.com and I'll try to put you in touch and see if it can be arranged.
 
grandpapkusky said:
What happens when he's finally too old to "scuffle by"? Without a pension or social security, how can guys like that live? everything is so expensive.
What really happens to guys like that?
Sad.

We all make our own choices in life. I feel bad for the 98% of the players that played for 40-50 years chasing that gold ring and die broke. As I said, we all make our own choices in life. I didn't let pool get in the way of my family or a job, but I did choose to drink, smoke, and do drugs all my life. While I have more than enough money to live well on, what good is it if you can't go out and enjoy it because of health reasons. Johnnyt
 
grandpapkusky said:
What happens when he's finally too old to "scuffle by"? Without a pension or social security, how can guys like that live? everything is so expensive.
What really happens to guys like that?
Sad.

He's a living legend in pool! He will continue to get calls from Accu-stats and the likes to do tournaments like the Turning Stone one coming up. He'll be fine.
 
Danny DiLiberto Sports Illustrated Article. I do have a few [8] issues of that Sports Illustrated. I was planning on putting on ebay.

Yes, it an outstanding article.
 
Back
Top