Darren Appleton's World 8 Ball Series 2017

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
https://www.facebook.com/world8ballseries/

Looks like Darren's brainchild, World 8 Ball series is about to take off with qualifiers starting all over the world.

World Pool Series Stop #1 Jan 14-17th 2017
Confirmed Players
1. David Alcaide - Spain
2. Darren Appleton - England
3. Johnny Archer – USA
4. Jennifer Baretta - USA
5. Yannick Beaufils - France
6. Carlo Biado - Philippines
7. Karl Boyes - England
8. Ruslan Chinahov - Russia
9. Tony Chohan – USA
10. Lee Van Corteza – Philippines
11. Francisco Diaz - Spain
12. Max Eberle – USA
13. Nikos Ekonomopolous - Greece
14. Vincent Facquet – France
15. Kelly Fisher - England
16. Robert Foldvari – Australia
17. Michael Hill - England
18. Dennis Hatch - USA
19. Pat Holtz – Scotland
20. Warren Kiamco – Philippines
21. Stevie Moore – USA
22. Alex Pagulayan – Canada
23. Tony Robles - USA
24. Jorge Rodriguez - USA
25. Francisco Sanchez-Ruiz – Spain
26. John Schmidt - USA
27. Jayson Shaw – Scotland
28. Brandon Shuff - USA
29. Jeremy Sossei - USA
30. Ralf Souqet – Germany
31. Earl Strickland – USA
32. Shane Van Boening – USA
33. Monica Webb - USA
34. Shaun Wilkie – USA
35. Zion Zvi – Israel

46-96: Awaiting Confirmation
97.Qualifier uk
98.Qualifier uk
99.Qualifier uk
100.Qualifier uk
101.Qualifier uk
102.Qualifier uk
103.Qualifier uk
104.Qualifier uk
105.Qualifier uk
106.Qualifier Finland
107.Qualifier Thailand
108.Qualifer Puerto Rico
109.Qualifier Australia
110.Qualifier France
111.Qualifier USA
112.Qualifier USA
113.Qaulifier USA
114.Qaulifier USA
115.Qaulifier USA
116.Qaulifier USA
117.Qualifier USA
118.Qualifier USA
119.Qualifier USA
120.Qualifier USA
121. Yannick Beaufils Sponsors Wildcard
122. Kang Lee Sponsors Wildcard
123. Wildcard
124. Wildcard
125. Wildcard
126. Wildcard
127. Wildcard
128. Wildcard

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I hope it takes off and goes well. I was skeptical at first because he was talking about "x hundred thousand dollars guaranteed added!" but I don't see that so much any more in his materials, which is a good thing. Start with some humility, run things well, get a good reputation, and grow for the long term.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Looks like a nice field. I'm looking forward to this. It would be good for pool if Darren's eight ball tour were to be successful.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just read through the website, the rules are all over the place. There are several different match lengths, hill-hill goes to a spot shot type shootout, the break is alternate break in early rounds, and winner break in later rounds. I see only confusion and more confusion from the players and the fans with all these changing rules throughout the event.

Entry fee is quite high. I guess he's going for top players only? I don't see these events having more than 48 players.

See here for info from the source:
http://www.worldpoolseries.com/events/tournament-details/#format

Joe_Jaguar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just read through the website, the rules are all over the place. There are several different match lengths, hill-hill goes to a spot shot type shootout, the break is alternate break in early rounds, and winner break in later rounds. I see only confusion and more confusion from the players and the fans with all these changing rules throughout the event.

Entry fee is quite high. I guess he's going for top players only? I don't see these events having more than 48 players.

See here for info from the source:
http://www.worldpoolseries.com/events/tournament-details/#format

As of their Facebook post tonight they only have 6 open spots remaining. So they have gotten a few more than 48...

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As of their Facebook post tonight they only have 6 open spots remaining. So they have gotten a few more than 48...

6 spots shy of 128? I'll believe it when I see it. We have all seen "confirmed" players change on a weekly basis. Confirmed doesn't mean paid in full, in the pool world.

For the caliber of player described on his webpage, he will need half of the field to be international players flying in. That many international players only come in for the US Open on US soil. Not even that many come for the DCC. We shall see.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
http://www.worldpoolseries.com/events/events/#secondseries

The events are $525 entry fee (including green fee) with $16,200 added. I hope he gets a full field and the event grows. I just can't seem many players flying internationally for that type of payback.

I hope my memory is not failing me here, but I believe the event carries WPA ranking points. The event appears on the WPA calendar.

In countries where Olympic money is available to players, events that carry WPA ranking points are often ones where expenses are, at least to some extent and often fully, reimbursable.

Hence, the economics of participation for overseas players may not be what you think.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I hope my memory is not failing me here, but I believe the event carries WPA ranking points. The event appears on the WPA calendar.

In countries where Olympic money is available to players, events that carry WPA ranking points are often ones where expenses are, at least to some extent and often fully, reimbursable.

Hence, the economics of participation for overseas players may not be what you think.

Yes, the website says WPA events. I thought WPA required something like 50k or 75k to be added. Wasn't that all the talk when Barry was counting the entry fees from past champions as part of the added money?

Anyway, we will know more in 2 weeks:)

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Yes, the website says WPA events. I thought WPA required something like 50k or 75k to be added. Wasn't that all the talk when Barry was counting the entry fees from past champions as part of the added money?

Anyway, we will know more in 2 weeks:)

I don't think the requirements for a ranking points event are the same as for a sanctioned world championship. The requirements you have cited are for a sanctioned world championship. Hence, at least as I understand it, Darren's event cannot be called a world championship because the added money is insufficient.

PS This is a Mosconi ranking points event, which might well help participation among American players.

Last edited:

Poolmanis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Didn't see few of the top players like Bergman or Skylar. Any other event overlaps this one?

There is Chinese 8-ball tournament that is overlapping. Darren's tourney was beforehand but China 8-ball decided to overlap. SVB, Mika and some others are paid to go there...

snucar

World Snucar Champion
Silver Member
Another "great" idea that will go nowhere. Mediocre field too, failed to attract more than half of pool's elite. It's basically "Darren and his friends" Tour. lol

TheBook

Ret Professional Goof Off
Silver Member
I hope it works out but for it to really exceed it needs the support of the fans.

What they need is a small time tournament to draw the fan players in. I think that is the reason for the success of the Derby and SBE. Most that attend are also participants in some action even tought they are dead money.

🎱

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... Darren's event cannot be called a world championship because the added money is insufficient.

I think another factor is how the players are chosen. For a world championship federations are permitted (and more or less obliged) to nominate their top players as entrants.

Forbin

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The live stream is expensive

Does anyone else think the live stream is a bit pricey at $38 / $13 per day? Or am I just being cheap? It would be nice if they had an option to buy just the final match.