Daulton Leong Road Respect

jrhendy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think he’s back playing again after a long hiatus to raise a family.

That is Rich’s son. Talked to him at Hard Times recently. He is on a mission to get his game together.

Rich Sr. passed some time back.

jrhendy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Used to sneak into Gino & Carlo's bar in North Beach in San Francisco, (I was underage), and watch Ronnie Barber, Rich Marquez, Filipino Gene, etc, gamble at three ball on those two bar tables. Rich could play, but I made a little $ side betting on Baltimore Buddy against him at the Tip Top Club on Mission Street. Filipino Gene used to get in action after hours at the Tip Top. Hawaiian Howard (Ikeda) used to play too. Whatever happened to Howard?

Howard also passed a few years ago. Last time I saw him was 5/6 years ago at Derby City working at one of the vendor booths.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Howard also passed a few years ago. Last time I saw him was 5/6 years ago at Derby City working at one of the vendor booths.

"Baltimore Buddy" Dennis also passed away a few years back. I really liked that guy. Soft spoken and smooth, he knew how to get games going. He took me to bar across the street from 20th Century Fox studios one time. A lot of the studio guys would come in there after work and play doubles Eight Ball. Buddy had been in there a couple of times and befriended some of them, and hadn't played a game in there yet. He needed a partner.

He told me that I was going to have to win all the games (PRESSURE!) because he couldn't show his true speed. I was a little worried I could hold up my end but he got me perfect position every time and made it easy for me. We won game after game and no one seemed to care. Buddy kept busy chatting with the guys while I was shooting and kept the mood light in there. We were only playing for ten a man so it was no big deal for these guys with their good jobs.

I think we made a hundred bucks (or more) each that night and left two happy campers. That was good money back then. Buddy had a knack for finding soft spots like that. But he could really play if he had to.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
how I got the ladies!

"Baltimore Buddy" Dennis also passed away a few years back. I really liked that guy. Soft spoken and smooth, he knew how to get games going. He took me to bar across the street from 20th Century Fox studios one time. A lot of the studio guys would come in there after work and play doubles Eight Ball. Buddy had been in there a couple of times and befriended some of them, and hadn't played a game in there yet. He needed a partner.

He told me that I was going to have to win all the games (PRESSURE!) because he couldn't show his true speed. I was a little worried I could hold up my end but he got me perfect position every time and made it easy for me. We won game after game and no one seemed to care. Buddy kept busy chatting with the guys while I was shooting and kept the mood light in there. We were only playing for ten a man so it was no big deal for these guys with their good jobs.

I think we made a hundred bucks (or more) each that night and left two happy campers. That was good money back then. Buddy had a knack for finding soft spots like that. But he could really play if he had to.

When the game was scotch doubles in the bars all the ladies wanted to play with me. All of their shots were tap ins.

Hu

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Settle down, it's obvious you both, have/do/did experience Quite different experiences with the same man. Many in life do wrong and then become good people.

Would of been Wonderful to hear why you felt so much good for this man. Instead you chose not too and took another way to go about your business.

To Slam another without understanding their reasoning behind what they say, shows me more about the one who's attacking w/o asking first, what they had done to them to form their opinion.

In a court of law, there are ALWAYS two sides.

It's soooooooooooo easy nowadazzzzzzzze to attack another w/o just cause. Hate is rampant.

I forgive you Fran for attacking w/o asking first why the other person came to this conclusion.

Daulton Leong may have gone thru a bad time in his early yrs on the W. coast, but to not ask why, or what he did First is confusing.

To publicly reduce someone's life down to an incident or a few incidents is irresponsible and unforgivable.

Dalton was my boyfriend for 5 years up until his death. You could say that I knew him pretty well. We were together practically every day for those 5 years. His family and I are still close. He was kind and caring and did a lot of good deeds for people in need without ever letting them lose their dignity. He was so subtle about it, half the time they didn't even know he was helping them. But one thing's for sure. He never bragged and always kept it to himself.

Oh and just for the record, I don't post for the sake of one person. I post for others who may be reading the thread. Like in this case, your forgiveness comment has no meaning to me whatsoever. However, I decided that it's a good idea to post my relationship with him and why I knew him so well. BTW, I know who you are.

Last edited:

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
Dalton was my boyfriend for 5 years up until his death. You could say that I knew him pretty well. We were together practically every day for those 5 years. His family and I are still close. He was kind and caring and did a lot of good deeds for people in need without ever letting them lose their dignity. He was so subtle about it, half the time they didn't even know he was helping them. But one thing's for sure. He never bragged and always kept it to himself.

Oh and just for the record, I don't post for the sake of one person. I post for others who may be reading the thread. Like in this case, your forgiveness comment has no meaning to me whatsoever. However, I decided that it's a good idea to post my relationship with him and why I knew him so well.

HUG/FRAN

....in 1993 Königswinter, Germany....the girls had arrived/teammates sittin' in the bleachers, I walked up behind where they were seated to Peg. I asked Peg L. (we grew up in same area of USA)... if she'd like a shoulder rub which we've done before after play....Immediately, like a beehive....The rest of your WPBA members turned their heads Quickly and :) responding at the same time....''do you do fronts''? :grin-loving: We all fell into laughter, me kinda' embarrassed, but not.....because we were all ''pool players''.

I still forgive you....

Last edited:

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wasn't the OP a celebration of Leong's (albeit warped) effort to make things right...hence the use of 'respect' in the title.

While I won't agree dumping a backer is to be celebrated, the op clearly gave Leong props.

We see your offense at Leong not being averse to the dump, what are you gonna do? If it is true, it is true.

To publicly reduce someone's life down to an incident or a few incidents is irresponsible and unforgivable.

Oh and just for the record, I don't post for the sake of one person. I post for others who may be reading the thread. Like in this case, your forgiveness comment has no meaning to me whatsoever. However, I decided that it's a good idea to post my relationship with him and why I knew him so well. BTW, I know who you are.

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
HUG/FRAN

....in 1993 Königswinter, Germany....the girls had arrived/teammates sittin' in the bleachers, I walked up behind where they were seated to Peg. I asked Peg L. (we grew up in same area of USA)... if she'd like a shoulder rub which we've done before after play....Immediately, like a beehive....The rest of your WPBA members turned their heads Quickly and :) responding at the same time....''do you do fronts''? :grin-loving: We all fell into laughter, me kinda' embarrassed, but not.....because they were ''pool players''.

I see how you picked out only a portion of my post to quote. I hope others will go back and read my entire post and not just the portion you decided to quote.

Island Drive

Silver Member
I see how you picked out only a portion of my post to quote. I hope others will go back and read my entire post and not just the portion you decided to quote.

I edited my post once, then read this. I still only do shoulders, and I'm not good at holding grudges created from a keyboard.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I edited my post once, then read this. I still only do shoulders, and I'm not good at holding grudges created from a keyboard.

I hope there aren't any lasting hard feelings about this.

Certainly she must realize that his relationship with her was far different than the relationships he had with potential paydays.

He did what he did and we all leave behind the good and the bad.

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wasn't the OP a celebration of Leong's (albeit warped) effort to make things right...hence the use of 'respect' in the title.

While I won't agree dumping a backer is to be celebrated, the op clearly gave Leong props.

We see your offense at Leong not being averse to the dump, what are you gonna do? If it is true, it is true.

No one wants their life to be defined by things they did wrong, especially if the majority of their life was by doing things that are good. Fine, if you want to tell a negative story but that's not what Jewett did. He categorized him as a negative person. I guess that's how people are who live only by numbers and have no understanding of humanity. I'm sure, not that he cares in the least, but Jewett just lost a ton of respect from me.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No one wants their life to be defined by things they did wrong, especially if the majority of their life was by doing things that are good. Fine, if you want to tell a negative story but that's not what Jewett did. He categorized him as a negative person. I guess that's how people are who live only by numbers and have no understanding of humanity.

We are all grown ups and we know people are mostly multifaceted messes.

All of us.

Chip Roberson

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Good Post Island Drive. Any more about folks matching up with Denny Searcy ? Was with Wade Crane in Charlotte back in the day when he played Denny. Two day match that didn't end well for our side.

Island Drive

Silver Member
Ring it Up!!!!

Good Post Island Drive. Any more about folks matching up with Denny Searcy ? Was with Wade Crane in Charlotte back in the day when he played Denny. Two day match that didn't end well for our side.

Saw Searcy play, at the Courtney/Coffee event in Burlington IA, early 70's....it was and added money event and they stiffed the players.

This tournament....was along the west side of the Mississippi River. The mass of tournament tables were set up on a basketball court floor, gym.

Where we stayed at the hotel.....in the end hallway they had placed a 9 footer in a corner where both hall ends met.

There was plenty of room for one 9 footer + sweater seats. Bob Osbourne, Mataya, Searcy, and I think Wade Crane had it up to $300 a man 10 ball after a day of playing.

I'm sure a few others ventured into the Ring Game, but they never lasted....and it was damp, wore yah out to run one rack.

Searcy wore long blue jean pants, a thick man, whom handled the situation, the money and his steadiness, and the Humidity.... he was never stuck. Great attitude at the table, but in the end, Mataya took a 8 hr break, and came back and ended breaking up the game $$$$$$$$$$$$. I'm sure Dennis was the only one who didn't lose much if at all.

That ring game, was in steady action, for at least 20 hrs.