Death of the House Man (long post sorry)

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
Death of the House Man

Perhaps it’s just me, perhaps it’s my generation that is starting the resurgence of pool in America. The internet telecasts, live streaming, information traveling at the speed of thought. With all of this new technology dawning on us every day we must also look back to our roots as pool players. Whether it’s playing in our family’s basement, going to the local pool hall with friends, or knowing someone who played professionally our past really is important maybe more important than we realize.
One of the things I most fondly remember when I first decided to take our game seriously was the kind and knowledgeable houseman. Always good for a couple of games or a piece of advice, a bastion of knowledge and respect, maybe not the strongest player in the joint but everyone knew his name and took him seriously.

As pool continues on more and more I am finding that these once highly regarded watchmen of the felt are slowly fading away as if time itself is replacing them with younger less experienced counter help. Believe me friends there is a very large difference between being a counter person and being a house man.

In my own local pool room the lack of a house man’s presence is quite noticeable. The current regime if you will is gruff and has grown bitter over the years. What once was a sprawling utopia of billiards is now simply just another pool hall. Tournaments used to bring in competitors from all over the country vying each for over ten thousand dollars and that was just the Calcutta money. Now tournaments bring in the same eight to ten regulars playing on the same tables every day for their ten dollars. Now there is nothing wrong with catering to these individuals because let’s face it they help pay the bills and any business is good business but what happened to the good old days?

Tables are no longer vacuumed the way they should be, rails not wiped, trash not removed, and the bathrooms well let’s just say the bathrooms are an acquired odor. Not one I would personally like to acquire but to each their own. Advice not given, games not played etc. etc. etc. the list goes on and on.

I hope dear reader that in your pool hall you at least have someone who takes pride in their work and does find it an honor to be the all important house man. Someone who makes you feel welcome and part of a club. I miss that feeling in our pool hall. I miss that feeling that what we were doing was somehow bigger than ourselves as kitchy as that sounds and Im sure it does.

I miss that feeling that when we were shooting and we had action that there was nothing else in the world going on. Time could literally stop outside and our own private party was going on strong inside. Hootin and hollerin, woofin, and of course some gentle trash talking. “Ill give you the six ball anytime for anything” for example. Nothing too serious and nothing too expensive. Don’t get me wrong we had action big action with one event coming to mind. A foot race between two portly gentleman from one end of the block to the other for five thousand dollars. I remember laughing as these two rotund gentleman waddled up the block huffing and puffing as my new found family and I laughed for hours after. This whole event started because of the house man. Stirring the pot and finding something anything to do, to bet on, to play for.

It wasn’t always about money. It was for the pride of the room. Our room. Now unfortunately we solemnly await the final nail in our coffin, that fateful wind to blow the doors of our little piece of the billiard world closed as it has done so many others. Will the housemen of years past fade into memory like pool halls of yesterday or will they too in pool rise again. Will they take their rightful place as the historians, the wise ones, the voices of reason? Time will only tell and as the clock ticks on so do I in the hope that one day we will see the phenomena of the house men once again come into the light.

Charles M Eames

The House Man LIVES! He lives in you and me and hundreds of others. The House Man lives here on AZ Billiards and you can see him every day giving kindly advice about this and that. The House Man knows where he is wanted and appreciated and he has learned to change with the times. :D

Great Post BTW!
JoeyA

"CaliRed".

High Def Videos!!!
Silver Member
Never a need to apologize for a "long post"

As I was a houseman for the history laden 211 Club in Seattle, I will relate my experiences. I wish I could have been employed in that position when it was in it's old location, but I missed out on that.

From a employer standpoint, I was responsible for handing out the balls and charging table time when they were returned, being a bartender, making sure people observed the house rules, selling cues and accessories and keeping the tables and pool room clean thruout the night.

From my standpoint, I felt as the houseman, I needed to do the following (keeping in mind that I lived and breathed the game, and I have great respect for the game and players)

I needed to monitor the table situation and who might be matching up, to allow the "money tables" to be open at a moment's notice if a substantial game was going to happen

Pool players are quite demanding and needy, so I needed to command respect from everyone, or else the players would run the room. This involved being firm when good players would come in and expect special treatment that would interfere with my "regulars".. I wanted my regulars to know that their patronage meant something.

I watched the room my entire shift... never got bored even when there was a couple of regulars that were banging them around for 2.00 a game. I watched everyone and kept up to date with all the action. If someone asked me how someone did earlier with so and so, I needed to weigh my response in case it might have a effect on a future game. I was all about stirring up action, because it was a drug to me.. Their action was my action. I wanted to see as much good pool as possible and I got to sweat it all.

Anytime a good money game would come up, I would make sure the tables were cleaned, I would make sure a table of their choice was available, cueball of their choice was available and made sure that if there was anyone playing on a nearby table that would interfere with the game, I would move them. If the game was big and you were on my good list, I would allow you to play after hours.

There were 2 groups of people that would come in a pool room.

In one group, you had the regulars, which consisted of.......

* the old men that came in every day at the same time, played the same game with the same person
* the railbirds that would hang out on the rail all day and night
* the people that more or less lived there, they had no jobs, they had nothing else in their life except the poolhall, they might even be a ball short of a full rack, if you get my drift :)
* the practicers, they would come in and practice for hours and hours every day, setting up drills, practicing the same shots over and over
* the small time gamblers that would play for anywheres from a 1.00 a game onepocket to 5.00 races
* the guys that get to get away from the wifes one day a week and play pool.. they would come in once a week and play all night
* the go-offs... these people would come in once a month or so and lose hundreds of dollars to whoever was the lucky guy in there that night and got to matchup with them
* the shortstops that would play about anyone in some kind of a game, they just wanted to be in action and win the money
* the nits, these guys would hang around all day and all week if they had to, until they had the nuts. These guys would play for about anything, cheap sets or higher sets, they knew they had the nuts and they booked probably 85% winners and were pissed every time they lost
* the good players that wouldn't gamble.. they could play lights out but would never match up.. if they did, you never knew who to bet on, the gambler who didn't play as good, or the other guy that never gambled.
* the best of the Northwest! These are the people I wanted to see play, because they were the best around that area. Most of these people would try to drum up something but was hard to get games. Lots of sitting around
* and then you got the road players which was the most exciting time in a poolroom. They would come thru and there would be alot of woofing and jawing, before something would come off. But you would see just about everything... Banks, Onehole, Golf, Snooker, Onehanded, 9ball, 3cushion or StraightRail, 14.1, Prop bets.... They were going to play someone and they were probably going to drop some good size money or win some, but there was going to be ACTION !

The other group was everyone else... the bangers, the drunks, the bar players, the guy trying to impress his date, the curious ones that have never been in a poolhall. etc;

It was that group that I never enjoyed... they were the ones that made my job difficult. I was very protective of my poolhall and my players and those people are the ones that invaded our "home":)

I was very tough on them... because they were just getting in our way of living our pool lives. With all their whistling, their drunken antics, their dropping of the whole rack of balls on the table, their stick twirling, their sitting on the rails, their attempts at those stupid trick shots you've seen a thousand times before, their prima donna attitudes, their 5 piece cues handed down to them, banging sticks against the table, their stupid ways they chalk the cue and MOST OF ALL... their dumping of gallons of powder all over their hands and then smearing it all over the tables.

Sure, they were good for many laughs but damn, they got on your nerves most of the time.

I didn't care if anyone came in, as long as they followed the rules and had respect for our "home" I wouldn't mind educating them the first time, but after they chose to ignore my advice, they were on the short end of the stick.

I had a special interest in finding people that were serious about pool and wanted to join our "home" I could spot those kind of people and I would go over to them and let them know about everything going on... show them who were the players to watch, explain the rules of the games, introduce them to people, let them know the do's and don'ts in a pool room. Pretty soon you would see them coming in all the time and playing people.. Pretty good feeling, I must say:)

I was a excellent players and regulars houseman and probably not the best houseman to all the others. Keep in mind though, I do have alot of business sense and did realize that those people were helping us keep our doors open, so I made most feel welcome, but it was not easy.

Anyways that is some insight on someone who has done it.. I have great respect for the game of pool/billiards, the history of it, the players from the past, the way it was before the Color of Money. I have great respect for the people that can play this game at the highest level and also those that try to excel at it but didn't have tutors or natural ability. I respect the art of gambling and matching up, the courage and heart of people that can make that difficult shot with the high dollar set on the line, the people that can grind away at someone and wear them down even though they have the worst of it.

And of course AZ Billiards and that "other great forum". This place fills a void from the past and keeps me up to date on the whole country and what's going on in pool from both of "those groups".

Thanks !!! :D :thumbup:

CaliRed <------- who says... long post? whatchu talkin bout?

ForumGhost516

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You Win !!

As I was a houseman for the history laden 211 Club in Seattle, I will relate my experiences. I wish I could have been employed in that position when it was in it's old location, but I missed out on that.

From a employer standpoint, I was responsible for handing out the balls and charging table time when they were returned, being a bartender, making sure people observed the house rules, selling cues and accessories and keeping the tables and pool room clean thruout the night.

From my standpoint, I felt as the houseman, I needed to do the following (keeping in mind that I lived and breathed the game, and I have great respect for the game and players)

I needed to monitor the table situation and who might be matching up, to allow the "money tables" to be open at a moment's notice if a substantial game was going to happen

Pool players are quite demanding and needy, so I needed to command respect from everyone, or else the players would run the room. This involved being firm when good players would come in and expect special treatment that would interfere with my "regulars".. I wanted my regulars to know that their patronage meant something.

I watched the room my entire shift... never got bored even when there was a couple of regulars that were banging them around for 2.00 a game. I watched everyone and kept up to date with all the action. If someone asked me how someone did earlier with so and so, I needed to weigh my response in case it might have a effect on a future game. I was all about stirring up action, because it was a drug to me.. Their action was my action. I wanted to see as much good pool as possible and I got to sweat it all.

Anytime a good money game would come up, I would make sure the tables were cleaned, I would make sure a table of their choice was available, cueball of their choice was available and made sure that if there was anyone playing on a nearby table that would interfere with the game, I would move them. If the game was big and you were on my good list, I would allow you to play after hours.

There were 2 groups of people that would come in a pool room.

In one group, you had the regulars, which consisted of.......

* the old men that came in every day at the same time, played the same game with the same person
* the railbirds that would hang out on the rail all day and night
* the people that more or less lived there, they had no jobs, they had nothing else in their life except the poolhall, they might even be a ball short of a full rack, if you get my drift :)
* the practicers, they would come in and practice for hours and hours every day, setting up drills, practicing the same shots over and over
* the small time gamblers that would play for anywheres from a 1.00 a game onepocket to 5.00 races
* the guys that get to get away from the wifes one day a week and play pool.. they would come in once a week and play all night
* the go-offs... these people would come in once a month or so and lose hundreds of dollars to whoever was the lucky guy in there that night and got to matchup with them
* the shortstops that would play about anyone in some kind of a game, they just wanted to be in action and win the money
* the nits, these guys would hang around all day and all week if they had to, until they had the nuts. These guys would play for about anything, cheap sets or higher sets, they knew they had the nuts and they booked probably 85% winners and were pissed every time they lost
* the good players that wouldn't gamble.. they could play lights out but would never match up.. if they did, you never knew who to bet on, the gambler who didn't play as good, or the other guy that never gambled.
* the best of the Northwest! These are the people I wanted to see play, because they were the best around that area. Most of these people would try to drum up something but was hard to get games. Lots of sitting around
* and then you got the road players which was the most exciting time in a poolroom. They would come thru and there would be alot of woofing and jawing, before something would come off. But you would see just about everything... Banks, Onehole, Golf, Snooker, Onehanded, 9ball, 3cushion or StraightRail, 14.1, Prop bets.... They were going to play someone and they were probably going to drop some good size money or win some, but there was going to be ACTION !

The other group was everyone else... the bangers, the drunks, the bar players, the guy trying to impress his date, the curious ones that have never been in a poolhall. etc;

It was that group that I never enjoyed... they were the ones that made my job difficult. I was very protective of my poolhall and my players and those people are the ones that invaded our "home":)

I was very tough on them... because they were just getting in our way of living our pool lives. With all their whistling, their drunken antics, their dropping of the whole rack of balls on the table, their stick twirling, their sitting on the rails, their attempts at those stupid trick shots you've seen a thousand times before, their prima donna attitudes, their 5 piece cues handed down to them, banging sticks against the table, their stupid ways they chalk the cue and MOST OF ALL... their dumping of gallons of powder all over their hands and then smearing it all over the tables.

Sure, they were good for many laughs but damn, they got on your nerves most of the time.

I didn't care if anyone came in, as long as they followed the rules and had respect for our "home" I wouldn't mind educating them the first time, but after they chose to ignore my advice, they were on the short end of the stick.

I had a special interest in finding people that were serious about pool and wanted to join our "home" I could spot those kind of people and I would go over to them and let them know about everything going on... show them who were the players to watch, explain the rules of the games, introduce them to people, let them know the do's and don'ts in a pool room. Pretty soon you would see them coming in all the time and playing people.. Pretty good feeling, I must say:)

I was a excellent players and regulars houseman and probably not the best houseman to all the others. Keep in mind though, I do have alot of business sense and did realize that those people were helping us keep our doors open, so I made most feel welcome, but it was not easy.

Anyways that is some insight on someone who has done it.. I have great respect for the game of pool/billiards, the history of it, the players from the past, the way it was before the Color of Money. I have great respect for the people that can play this game at the highest level and also those that try to excel at it but didn't have tutors or natural ability. I respect the art of gambling and matching up, the courage and heart of people that can make that difficult shot with the high dollar set on the line, the people that can grind away at someone and wear them down even though they have the worst of it.

And of course AZ Billiards and that "other great forum". This place fills a void from the past and keeps me up to date on the whole country and what's going on in pool from both of "those groups".

Thanks !!! :D :thumbup:

CaliRed <------- who says... long post? whatchu talkin bout?

Unbelievably long post sir absolutely awesome read and some amazing experience there.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
Got to have a houseman and an old timer or two

A pool hall isn't a pool hall without a houseman and an old timer or two. I ride past a handful of places to play pool on the long trip to the only pool hall around. The houseman is the owner and he'll get you in a game even if he has to play himself. He has always got something going and he is always doing something extra for the pool players and customers. You don't come through the door without him speaking to you.

His help is young but almost all pool players and pretty good ones. One recently beat Scotty Townsend and Jamie Farrell on the way to winning a fair sized tournament there, not shabby in anybody's book. More importantly, friendly people one and all.

I do miss the old halls with rack boys. A quarter a rack was pretty much the end of the era around here. When I started one place was still a nickel a rack and the others a dime. A big tipper pitched the racker a quarter now and then. One place near the college instituted rack girls, very popular with the young crowd! I was young then but the real pool halls where serious pool was played were always where I felt at home.

Hu

CreeDo

Fargo Rating 597
Silver Member
There are some good posts in this thread.

I know exactly the feeling you have Ghost. Our place used to be lively and the person running it was deeply into pool and took pride in it. At some point business slowed and we came to rely on the kids and bangers to make the rent. The tables stopped getting reclothed, the racks are beat to hell, about twenty house sticks are missing tips and there's more people playing the jukebox than playing pool. Now we can't even cover the phone and cable bills. Yesterday there was exactly 1 customer.

I don't know how much of a difference it would make, but I miss having the owner as the house man. He was/is the strongest shooter and could replace tips, give relationship advice, or make you a pizza. The current counter people will take care of you ok, but it's not the same. Our owner is a great person but he's got four young kids and several more who have already moved out... he just can't do it now. And without him, the already slow business is suffering even more.

Jerry Forsyth

The room I grew up in, Happy's Pool Room in Greenville, NC, was heaven on earth for a young pool player. You would walk up a couple of concrete steps and when you opened the door the smell would beckon you in. That's because there was a grill on the right after you got in that served the best greasy cheeseburgers I have ever had. Fatty, the owner, would cut the meat with a little oatmeal to save a buck and the oatmeal made the burgers juicy and melt-in-your-mouth good.

On the left were the card tables where the rummy games and the dominoes were played. From there on to the back of the shotgun-style room were the old Saunier-Wilhelm (I believe) tables and the right wall was lined with church pews that were raised slightly on risers. The houseman was an old black guy who knew a million jokes and who kept the tables spotless in between his racking duties. At the end of each game you just yelled out 'rack' and lay a dime on the footrail if you wanted a 9-ball rack and 15 cents if you wanted a full rack game. You would also lay another dime (if you were at all polite) out for his 'pay' as that was the only money he made.

Sometimes your table might be 3 or 4 tables down in line for the racking if the place was full of 9-ball players whose games went quickly. And that was fine. It gave you time to go get another beer (so cold they had ice chips in them) or just sit in the pews and shoot the breeze for a moment.

I think about Happy's often. I went back to Greenville some ten years ago and it was still there at that time but the grill was gone. Too bad. One other thing I remember about those times. American beers tasted different then. Pabst was a real good beer. Crisp, clean. Schlitz was the number one seller in America and it tasted great. But those brands changed their formulas and now there are very few good yankee beers.

ForumGhost516

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ladies and Gentleman

The room I grew up in, Happy's Pool Room in Greenville, NC, was heaven on earth for a young pool player. You would walk up a couple of concrete steps and when you opened the door the smell would beckon you in. That's because there was a grill on the right after you got in that served the best greasy cheeseburgers I have ever had. Fatty, the owner, would cut the meat with a little oatmeal to save a buck and the oatmeal made the burgers juicy and melt-in-your-mouth good.

On the left were the card tables where the rummy games and the dominoes were played. From there on to the back of the shotgun-style room were the old Saunier-Wilhelm (I believe) tables and the right wall was lined with church pews that were raised slightly on risers. The houseman was an old black guy who knew a million jokes and who kept the tables spotless in between his racking duties. At the end of each game you just yelled out 'rack' and lay a dime on the footrail if you wanted a 9-ball rack and 15 cents if you wanted a full rack game. You would also lay another dime (if you were at all polite) out for his 'pay' as that was the only money he made.

Sometimes your table might be 3 or 4 tables down in line for the racking if the place was full of 9-ball players whose games went quickly. And that was fine. It gave you time to go get another beer (so cold they had ice chips in them) or just sit in the pews and shoot the breeze for a moment.

I think about Happy's often. I went back to Greenville some ten years ago and it was still there at that time but the grill was gone. Too bad. One other thing I remember about those times. American beers tasted different then. Pabst was a real good beer. Crisp, clean. Schlitz was the number one seller in America and it tasted great. But those brands changed their formulas and now there are very few good yankee beers.

Ladies and Gentleman Jerry Forsyth thanks for your two cents Jerry. Love to have you posting on my threads. I someday hope to have your level of experience.

catpool9

"Rack Um"/ Rusty Lock
Silver Member
The House Man,Alive and Well!!!!

The House Man LIVES! He lives in you and me and hundreds of others. The House Man lives here on AZ Billiards and you can see him every day giving kindly advice about this and that. The House Man knows where he is wanted and appreciated and he has learned to change with the times. :D

Great Post BTW!
JoeyA

Your right Joey, the House Man is Alive and Well in "each and everyone of us!":)

David Harcrow

ForumGhost516

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have to say its nice to see that so many people share the same view as I do. I wonder if today in this day in age if you brought back competent house men or now women as well who have the knowledge and the experience and a love for the game if it would help or hinder a pool room. Who knows i guess only time will tell.

Charlie

gunzby

My light saber is LD
Silver Member
Sadly the room I go to most has no house man. I've thought about telling them that I would do it for free once a week when I am off work, or at the least doing it for free table time. The thing is that I would not take away my own table time as I don't have much of that so they would need to either stay with me while I take care of the tables and polish the balls or give me keys so I could lock up.

I haven't seen a true house man in a long long time actually. I think of a true house man as someone who would not only take care of the equipment, but also someone who would give the kids trying to learn a few pointers. I now see people who rarely take care of the tables and people who won't play a game at all unless it's for money.

If I made a living playing pool I would play any game I could...free or otherwise. I just can't imagine sitting a pool hall all day long waiting for a money game and not playing until I got one.

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I guess you have to hire people that working at a pool hall isn't just a job they goto to get a paycheck. They have a passion for the game and I'm not talking about some kids who like to play a little. I'm talking people that find nothing in life more gratifying then making round colored balls disapear into pockets.

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
Sadly the room I go to most has no house man. I've thought about telling them that I would do it for free once a week when I am off work, or at the least doing it for free table time. The thing is that I would not take away my own table time as I don't have much of that so they would need to either stay with me while I take care of the tables and polish the balls or give me keys so I could lock up.

I haven't seen a true house man in a long long time actually. I think of a true house man as someone who would not only take care of the equipment, but also someone who would give the kids trying to learn a few pointers. I now see people who rarely take care of the tables and people who won't play a game at all unless it's for money.

If I made a living playing pool I would play any game I could...free or otherwise. I just can't imagine sitting a pool hall all day long waiting for a money game and not playing until I got one.

Some experienced pool room owners know the value of a house man. There is a difference between a House Pro and a House Man but both are needed to round out the personality of a pool room. Both add value to a pool room and both should be compensated to the best of the owner's ability.

JoeyA

Medalist

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Table Stakes South (38 tables) in Denver has a great owner named Frank. He's always there and will play you one pocket at the drop of a hat. Also Mike is a great houseman there.

Ballbreaker

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
wow how times have changed

I remember the houseman from when I grew up in Altoona Pa, at our local brunswick billiards. Thats one of the reasons I own a poolroom now, I always wanted to be him. Its tough to keep it like the way I remember it being. I work here easily 15+ hours a day, my bathrooms are always clean, tables well kept, balls polished, house cues are in great shape, greet everyone as they come in, but the clientale has changed also, I have diamond pro tables and gc4s, as i said i keep them well maintained, and the better league and seasoned players appreciate the effort of my hard work, but you cant survive on just those players. The younger customers dont care about the equiptment, I have a very good crowd here, but on a daily basis, im always telling someone not to slam the balls on the tables, or toss the rack or cue on the table, or DONT SET YOUR DRINK ON THE TABLE! They just dont seem to care, but to survive, you have to have them here, the economy stinks, this for me is done out of the love for the game, not the tons of money im making,lol( I wish I was just making some) The days of the old style billiard rooms I believe are gone, everything is hi tech now, az billiards, online streaming matches, buying products online at dirt cheap prices, instead of from the local room. so where do you see pool in 10 or 20 years?

ForumGhost516

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
thank you

Great posts. Thanks for starting this thread Ghost.

I just always remembered that the house man WAS the pool hall for most of us. We came in had a soda coffee beer etc and like a barber or something we BS'd chewed the fat and played some pool in a great atmosphere. Now it almost feels as though you could see the so called counter help sizing up your wallet the moment you walk in the door.

Something needed to be said because as it would appear most of us have been thinking it.

3RAILKICK

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Gentlemen-and ladies, thank you!!

I have enjoyed this post a lot. I am getting old. I do appreciate the past. I thank all for sharing their recollections of earlier times. I detoured from the pool hall to the army/college/marriage/kids/career/grandkids and now back to pool. Pool has changed. The rooms have changed. I have changed. Fortunately characters and caricatures remain. I missed out on much while I was away.

Its time for me to learn to appreciate todays pool scene as well.

GREAT POSTS-thank you

3railkick:)

ForumGhost516

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have enjoyed this post a lot. I am getting old. I do appreciate the past. I thank all for sharing their recollections of earlier times. I detoured from the pool hall to the army/college/marriage/kids/career/grandkids and now back to pool. Pool has changed. The rooms have changed. I have changed. Fortunately characters and caricatures remain. I missed out on much while I was away.

Its time for me to learn to appreciate todays pool scene as well.

GREAT POSTS-thank you

3railkick:)

Im glad you liked it and Im glad I started it as I said earlier i really think that i echoed what a lot of people were thinking.