Delrin collars

jb1911

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Where do I buy delrin collars for working on a cue in a metal working lathe?

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You can but them on ebay. Or you can buy Delrin rods and make your own. As long as your tools are sharp and you have a good micrometer it's very easy.
Great practice too :)

RBC

Deceased
You can but them on ebay. Or you can buy Delrin rods and make your own. As long as your tools are sharp and you have a good micrometer it's very easy.
Great practice too :)

That's certainly true.

Just make sure you cut both the inside and outside dimensions without removing or un-chucking the stock. That way any small amounts of runout will make your collets not concentric.

Royce

rhncue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Where do I buy delrin collars for working on a cue in a metal working lathe?

If you can't make delrin collets your in deep doo-doo! It is by far the easiest thing you can do on a lathe. You've had a couple of poster tell you how. Just jump in and get your feet wet.

Dick :D

conetip

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When making your collets, ruffing out the inside to 0.01inches and the same for the outside, then finish the OD and then finish the inside. A lot of plastics have quite a bit of stress in it.
The real advantage of making your own collets is you get the correct size for what you want, and the fit that you want for your bearing size.
You can also make distortion sleeves as well.
Neil

jb1911

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you can't make delrin collets your in deep doo-doo! It is by far the easiest thing you can do on a lathe. You've had a couple of poster tell you how. Just jump in and get your feet wet.

Dick :D

Yeah, why didn't I think of that? Derp!

Last edited:

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
chris , are yours made to fit a specific bearing?? one you sell?
if so, i didnt see the bearing
or is that a readily available bearing size?

Yes it is made to fit the bearing in my steady rests. I sell the bearing by itself for $20.

pdcue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yeah, why didn't I think of that? Derp! I'm going to build a setup like this one I found on ebay to control the joint end of the shaft out the back end of the headstock (sorry about the poor quality of the stolen ebay picture).

QUOTE]

I would advise you to not use that contraption. If you do, then you will still
need collars to protect the shaft from it:)

Dale

conetip

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Those wheel thingies are a real pain to keep everything on centerline with. The bearing steady rest with collars is quick and easy and stays concentric if you make the sleeves correct.
The split sleeves I use with a 3-4 jaw chucks. The non split sleeves I use with bearing steadies or in ER40 collet system. My small steady is 30mm id same as the large ER40 collet.The big one is the 35mm same as Chris's .
Neil