Dennis Orcullo - World Bar Table Champ

karambolista

noypi toits
Silver Member
Dennis Orcullo won the World Bar Table Championship beating Johnny Archer. It was a true double elimination finals, Archer won the first set 9-7 then Orcullo won the 2nd set 9-2.

dareads

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Atwell and Bryant finished 5th/6th. Durbin lost a tough match to Parica and finished 4th. Parica finished 3rd.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Dennis is a very gifted player, truly among the world's most elite. That he has now graced America with his presence is the American pool fan's good luck, and I can't wait for the opportunity to see him play.

karambolista

noypi toits
Silver Member
sjm said:
Dennis is a very gifted player, truly among the world's most elite. That he has now graced America with his presence is the American pool fan's good luck, and I can't wait for the opportunity to see him play.

The entire time I was watching his matches he was running out everytime. But since yesterday he started missed 1 shot and today he probably missed 2 or 3, so he kinda suck now. :)

rackem

SUPPORT CLUB MEMBERSHIP
Silver Member
I guess he is playing strong. Didn't he just win the IPT qualifier at Hardtimes?

Gerald

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
sjm said:
You will really appreciate his game. He moves extremely well and is a nice person with a limited command of English. I watched him for 8 days at Hard Times and was impressed with his cue ball control. When practicing he often started off playing rotation, not quite as well as Efren, but his 9 Ball and 8 Ball games were top notch. He is the real thing! His final game against Ortmann was a beauty as he had to move through a lot of traffic and never nudged any of the tightly clustered balls.

tfdr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
wow , the filipino invasion still continues wave after wave

from parica to efren to django to alcano (joss tour), to manalo and now orcullo??

who's next??

jsp

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
tfdr said:

from parica to efren to django to alcano (joss tour), to manalo and now orcullo??

who's next??
Not everyone is thrilled about the continued filipino invasion. I was at the Boston qualifier yesterday, and I overheard a conversation of an American pool player (who will remain nameless) right after Kiamco beat Breedlove to obtain his IPT tour card. Basically, he thinks all the filipino players are "no good f**kers" and they should all "leave this country and go back home". He then mentions two other American players that agree with his sentiments. EDIT: Just to be clear, the person who made these comments WAS NOT Breedlove.

There is still blatant racism in the pool world, and I witnessed it first hand. As a person of Filipino ethnicity, I was extremely hurt by his comments. As an American, I am totally ashamed he is representing our country as an American pool player.

Nevertheless, Congrats to Orcollo (okay, so is it "Orcollo" or "Orcullo"??)

Last edited:

parvus1202

Suspected hacked account
Silver Member
Racism in pool? Too bad if that is true. Since you witness it first hand. Although I don't think that all players have the same sentiments. Most Americans I believe like to see more foreigners coming to test their skills. Only losers hate foreign players.

dareads

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
From watching Orcullo, Parica and Petralba this weekend, they actually struck me as being the nicest and most down to earth guys. As much as I saw "the american" players analyzing every gap of every rack, the Filipino players very rarely checked the rack. They were all very approachable and kind. Just my $.02

Andrew Manning

Aspiring know-it-all
Silver Member
parvus1202 said:
Only losers hate foreign players.

I think this hits on some fundamental truths. To some extent, we're all uncomfortable with things that are "foreign". Most of us dismiss this discomfort and move past it because we know there's a lot to be learned from other cultures, and that a person can end up being your best friend or your worst enemy regardless of where they're from.

On the other hand, some of us embrace this discomfort because it gives us something to blame our own failures on, when we don't have the bravery or the fortitude to face our weaknesses. This is cowardly and immoral.

It should be noted that a lot of people who achieve great things do so because they don't accept failure. Some great pool players are great because they have so much competitive drive that they can't condone losing. So they find scapegoats when they lose, and the Filipinos are an easy target, because pool did in fact become harder for American players when great Filipino players came on the scene.

It should also be noted that good, moral people can still have moments of weakness and cowardliness, especially when under pressure. I imagine that if JSP did name names about the players who hold this opinion, a hundred posts would come out of the woodwork saying that these players are stand-up guys who would never make a hurtful comment like that.

-Andrew

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
I wonder where WPBA be right now without those two foreigners, Fisher and Corr.
Frankly, I wouldn't even watch it.
Racism in pool? Too bad if that is true. Since you witness it first hand. Although I don't think that all players have the same sentiments. Most Americans I believe like to see more foreigners coming to test their skills. Only losers hate foreign players.

Agreed.
Boxing started in England. Surely they didn't mind when John L Sullivan his heavwt. title.:eek:

yobagua

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Never would think it was Breedlove. After all he is married to an Asian. A Korean where there might be where the next wave of good players come from. Young Ga Kim already is breaking the Fisher/Corr stranglehold and Young Hwa Jeong is always a threat.
The players from Asia can only contribute healthily to the sport. It is the Asian Games that give recognition to the cue as a legitimate sport. Hopefully that will open it up to the World Olympics. Filipinos have improved the game. They have changed nine ball completely with their kicking game. Those that refuse to follow are doomed to failure. Maybe the fear of failure is where this racism stems from.
One can only imagine how it was for the Italians in the first half of the 20th century. How guys like Mosconi, Onofrio Lauro, Ponzi, to Diliberto faced racial antagonism.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
tfdr said:

who's next??

As we found out this weekend in Massachussetts, the answer is Warren Kiamco.

recoveryjones

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
karambolista said:
Dennis Orcullo won the World Bar Table Championship beating Johnny Archer. It was a true double elimination finals, Archer won the first set 9-7 then Orcullo won the 2nd set 9-2.

Not surprised, as Orcollo is a great talent.At one time Alex Pagulayan claims he couldn't seem to beat him and had lost thousands trying. When he won the WPC in 2004 apparentlyhe owed a fellow Phillipino 25 large.That fellow Phillipino was none other than Dennis Orcollo.Alex apparently got some measure of revenge and won a recent matchup in 2005.I read about this in an Alex Pagulayan interview in an Inside pool magazine and also heard tidbits on WPC broadcasts.

Personally I think the Phillipinos have added so much color to the World of Pool. Reyes, Bustamante, Pagulayan, Parica...etc.etc., take them out of the picture and you've got a product that is missing something.

As for some of the American players pouting, I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one who hates losing!!:D Get over it fellas....these guys are making you a better player.

RJ

karambolista

noypi toits
Silver Member
Day 1 of the tournament Dennis approach Corey Dueul and ask him if he wants to play some 15 ball rotation later, and Corey's reply was maybe.

And I'm like, I wish I was that good and have the balls to ask a US Open champ for some challenge match.

BTW, this is Dennis' first time to play on a bar table.