Deputy Shot Overnight in Florida Named William Gentry

ibuycues

I Love Box Cues
Silver Member
Hi All,
I just saw on the news that the deputy shot in Highlands County, Florida tonight is named William Gentry.
I am only going by memory, but this seems to be about where a friend of mine, and AZ member William Gentry (Cuemaker) lives.

Update..................This is our good friend William.................
Thoughts and prayers with William and his loved ones at this terrible time.

Update...................Shocked, deeply saddened that William passed away earlier today.
Senseless tragedy, loss of a wonderful person who cared deeply for others.
Prayers to family and loved ones.
Will Prout

Last edited:

Z-Nole

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The deputy is only 40, so maybe it’s the cue makers son? Either way this is disturbing. The death penalty would be too lenient as far as I’m comcerned.

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member
William Gentry very recently made me a couple of shafts and it was a real pleasure working with him. Aside from him doing very precise, high quality work, he has a great sense of humor.

My thoughts and prayers are with him and his family; hoping for a speedy recovery.

here's a link to the story and a view of the shooter who, reportedly, has a history of violence against police.

https://www.news-press.com/story/ne...ot-lee-memorial-critical-condition/585511002/

best,
brian kc

Last edited:

sluan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Shocking and saddening news. I sincerely hope Mr. Gentry will survive his injury.

Prayers to Mr. Gentry and his family.

我從使用 Tapatalk 的 Mi Note 2 發送

cuesblues

cue accumulator
Silver Member
Crazy cat-killer shooting an experienced well trained cop in the head is shocking news.
William is an excellent cuemaker and a well known AZ member.

Peace to William's friends and family.
Very sad deal.

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
WOW. Just awful. Hope he recovers. And hope they fry the low life scumbag who shot him.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Urgh. So infuriating to see another episode of violence against a badge.

We averagers really have little knowledge about the dedication and desire to positively impact society that our uniformed personnel possess and call upon daily.

we'd all like to see the bad apples tossed out. But there's a lot more bad apples out of uniform than in em.

mia

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Horrible news. A terrible, terrible tragedy. My deepest sympathies and condolences to his family and his friends. May he rest in peace.

HouTexPlayer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's my understanding that he passed earlier today due to his injuries. May God comfort his family in their hour of need and welcome him home as his time and watch here is done - thank you Officer Gentry for your service and sacrifice.

Billiardbills

Billiard Bill
Silver Member
He did not make it. I was with him at the hospital at noon. He was shot in very close range 3 times in the head. He was a sheriffs deputy field trainer for Highlands County FL and that is how this all happened.

I took this photo of William on the way to The Southern Cue & Case Show in Chattanooga. He had stayed up for 2+ days to finish a few cues and I was driving.

I'm at a loss for words otherwise.

IMG_9002.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

sluan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
RIP Mr. Gentry and condolences to his family.

我從使用 Tapatalk 的 Mi Note 2 發送

cuesblues

cue accumulator
Silver Member
He did not make it. I was with him at the hospital at noon. He was shot in very close range 3 times in the head. He was a sheriffs deputy field trainer for Highlands County FL and that is how this all happened.

I took this photo of William on the way to The Southern Cue & Case Show in Chattanooga. He had stayed up for 2+ days to finish a few cues and I was driving.

View attachment 491439

Sorry Bill, this has to be devastating
Peace to everyone especially his family and close circle of friends

This is the biggest tragedy in pool that I can remember, and there is no justice for this one

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member

View attachment 491439

wow, this is awful.

you arranged for him to make the shafts for me and for that, I thank you.

I am very sorry for the loss of your good friend, Bill.

RIP Deputy Gentry.

best,
brian kc

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
tragic indeed
sounds like he was a hell of a man

i enjoyed his posts on facebook, he has quite the machine/cue shop