Derby City Straight Pool Challenge 2019

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Isn't this the second year in a row this has happened? You'd think they would have corrected the scheduling conflicts from last year. It's pretty likely a number of the same top players will potentially still be alive in the late rounds in both disciplines.

The event has grown out of it's "side event" status which was mainly entered by a small group of SP enthusiasts (IMO). Now with the additional money and players who dont even play SP are entering and having $uccess, it has just grown out of its former status. I believe when it started there was no Bigfoot either and thus more time. It has just outgrown itself and something does need to be done-I dont know what that is however.

Last edited:

wigglybridge

14.1 straight pool!
Silver Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisinNC
>>That last shot he missed to end the run - the 13-ball all the way down the table which he slow rolled, did not roll off at all. ... <<

Bob Jewett
> That's not what he thought. If it rolled over half a ball -- which is very hard to see in the video -- it could have gone from make to miss. <

i watched it several times. i'm usually Very skeptical when a player blames a shot like that on rolloff, but contrary to Chris's post, i see a clear rolloff on this one, doesn't look like any doubt to me.

Bob Jewett

arcstats

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'll repeat what I posted yesterday:

"But the problem as usual, is trying to get these matches scheduled. Qualifying numbers continue to rise, indicating the growing popularity of the competition. Hopefully the producers will finally come to the conclusion that this competition needs to be moved form the DCC and instead be played at perhaps Pat Fleming's International tournament, where the field quality is never a question (i.e. the Ko brothers et al). I'm betting all scheduling conflicts would be resolved and a better final format could be instituted.

This event has reached a point where it should no longer be treated as some carnival side show, which is currently the situation on all fronts at the DCC. From scheduling, to video streaming, to the "closet" venue, to the lack of qualifying stats; it all adds up to an event that deserves better. I commend the producers for all their hard work, but doing it at the DCC is like the engine revving at 5000RPM, but the vehicle is stuck in neutral."

Well this is 2 years in a row now that the competition was not completed. Message to the producers - You cannot continue to stay affiliated with the DCC. They simply refuse to grant you the respect your competition now rightfully deserves. Either move it to another tournament that will appreciate your efforts and recognize it as an asset, or keep it at the DCC and become the latest example of insanity.

TheLoneSilencer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Honestly they should move it as it will never be one of the big events there no matter who plays in it. Move it somewhere else & be done with it already. Pretty pointless to not determine a winner two years in a row.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
There is no way to correct it. They top players are playing pretty much non-stop in the 3 main events, the big-foot, the straight pool, and occasionally an action match.

I wonder if it stays at the same venue, if it would be better to eliminate the actual 8 man tournament, and keep it only a high run event.

This is the best idea I've heard.....the DCC 14.1 is a shot in the arm for the game.
....maybe an extra day or two for attempts....takes away the timing issue.

Kudos to Dennis Walsh and Bob Jewitt for their efforts....
...I don't know the rest of the group....but they deserve mention.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is the best idea I've heard.....the DCC 14.1 is a shot in the arm for the game.

Kudos to Dennis Walsh and Bob Jewitt for their efforts....

Yeah, I think people are way, way, way, more interested in a super high run, rather than match play of the last 8 standing. Redistribute all the match play money into the high runs for each day, etc. Maybe there is some sort of insurance company that would back a record breaking 527 with a 100k prize, like they did for Earl's million.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
There is no way to correct it. They top players are playing pretty much non-stop in the 3 main events, the big-foot, the straight pool, and occasionally an action match.

I wonder if it stays at the same venue, if it would be better to eliminate the actual 8 man tournament, and keep it only a high run event.
The first two years there was no tournament but there was a final round with fewer tries for the top qualifiers. It was the third year that the tournament started (I think at Pat Fleming's suggestion). It went OK at first, but there have been scheduling problems with the tournament for at least five years.

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The first two years there was no tournament but there was a final round with fewer tries for the top qualifiers. It was the third year that the tournament started (I think at Pat Fleming's suggestion). It went OK at first, but there have been scheduling problems with the tournament for at least five years.

How many attempts at the high run are allowed?

What is the breakdown of high run days vs tournament days?

Ex: High run attempts are M-T-W and tournament starts TH-finished

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
who knows??

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisinNC
>>That last shot he missed to end the run - the 13-ball all the way down the table which he slow rolled, did not roll off at all. ... <<

Bob Jewett
> That's not what he thought. If it rolled over half a ball -- which is very hard to see in the video -- it could have gone from make to miss. <

i watched it several times. i'm usually Very skeptical when a player blames a shot like that on rolloff, but contrary to Chris's post, i see a clear rolloff on this one, doesn't look like any doubt to me.

Bob Jewett

I saw what appeared to be some roll off too. However, this was on video. Any lens short enough to use indoors and overhead is going to have some fisheye and fisheye is normally worse as you get closer to the edge of the image or video.

I saw some apparent ball curve, I wouldn't go so far as to say it was real. As for testing the table after the miss, seems reasonable to me especially if I have more high run tries left or expect to be competing on the table later.

To comment on the tournament failing to complete while posting in the thread, perhaps just give the top six or eight an extra half-dozen attempts and pay out according to some consideration of their high runs in the first and second group of attempts. That would only require rounding up one player at a time.

I would prefer to see the tournament but apparently that isn't working.

Hu

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
For the record, here are the payouts copied from another thread:

Here are the Straight Pool payouts:

14.1 challenge
Mika Immonen $7800
Shane Van Boening 3850
Lee Vann Corteza 3850
Joshua Filler 4100
Niels Feijen 2500
John Schmidt 2100
Chris Melling 1900
Dennis Orcullo 1900
Konrad Juszczyszyn 200
Marek Kudlik 100
Total -- $28300

There was $21,000 added and 73 entries at $100 each. Filler got a total of $2300 just for his record run of 285 plus $500 in daily prizes.

dmgwalsh

Straight Pool Fanatic
Silver Member

Kudos to Dennis Walsh and Bob Jewett for their efforts....

Bill Maropulos organizes most of the runs at the event. He and I have been co-producing it since Bob left some years ago.

We also have many volunteers including Rich Klein, Nathan Tavarez, Stan Haines, who have been supporting the event for years.

Ky Boy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bill Maropulos organizes most of the runs at the event. He and I have been co-producing it since Bob left some years ago.

We also have many volunteers including Rich Klein, Nathan Tavarez, Stan Haines, who have been supporting the event for years.

I hope the event continues and grows to be a larger success. It's become one of if not my most favorite event to watch.

Gary