Diamonds are Popular Tables, What Table is Most Popular Right Now?

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks, Tracy is a genuinely nice guy, I talked with him recently and always admire his positive energy and personality.

I also agree that the atmosphere is more important than the tables, my goal is to have both. My pool room was very successful because I always had professional players (including myself) there playing each other and customers. 'Play Where the Pros Play' was the catch phrase and we made that true.

There's many ingredients in the recipe of a successful pool room. The "meat" is the atmosphere generated by the staff and customers.....these are the greatest assets and must be selected and groomed very carefully to enhance everyone's experience.

I had to cut out to work but another thing I think is important is how hard tracy strives to provide something for every body.

high pockets hosts all the leagues, sometimes more than one the same night.
we have apa, napa and Memphis pool league " traveling money league". he also hosts in house money leagues on both the gold crowns and valleys. also a singles league on gold crowns. plus weekly tournaments on both size tables.

he also has one gold crown strictly for one pocket and sometimes more than one. mostly cheap action but I have seen higher sets played there.

as you can see he strives to provide something for every ones taste.

both the apa sun night and wed night in house money league have more teams than bar tables available so we have resorted to teams rotating between bar tables and a couple of gold crowns provided.

example; wed nights 8 teams play on the bar tables and 2 play on gold crowns then the teams rotate the following week.

sun night apa 8 teams play bar tables and 6 play on gold crowns then rotate the following week.

the only thing negative about the place is that damn punching bag. its relatively quiet there as most pool halls are until some one goes up there and sticks some quarters in and smacks the hell out of it.

imagine this . you are keeping score and its pretty quiet then all of a sudden you hear a KA POW !!! about 5 feet behind you. every jumps up and turns around to see who shot somebody lol.

I guess it does have its use though. I have seen a time or 2 somebody is playing bad and they go take there frustration out on the bag. if you get to that point its better to take it out on the bag instead of your cue. :eek:

Lonestar_jim

Two & Out
Silver Member
Blondes

Yes, I agree, people do like variety, usually three choices with suffice (example - blond, brunette and redhead).

C.J.

I see no blondes in your avater, well maybe one in the middle. I have a couple in mine you can borrow. :grin-square:

If that is you, to my old-ize you looked a bit like Dan Akyroyd.

Donny Lutz

Ferrule Cat
Silver Member
Poker table?

I'm curious what the "table of choice" is for everyone, I will be opening a Pool Room soon in the DFW area and I'm starting to initiate some R&D to find out what kind of tables are most popular and why.

Please list your favorite table and describe why you like it, no "table bashing", let's keep it positive, we all know everyone has their own preference for many reasons, what is yours?

Sometimes I wonder if it's the poker table.

I've known a number of quite strong pool players who gave up pool for poker (or other forms of gambling), and it's cost several of them dearly.

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
I guess it's better than John Belushi

C.J.

I see no blondes in your avater, well maybe one in the middle. I have a couple in mine you can borrow. :grin-square:

If that is you, to my old-ize you looked a bit like Dan Akyroyd.

Dan Akyroyd ... hmmm, that's a first, I guess it's better than John Belushi :smile:

41X5576VSML._SY300_.jpg

I'm curious what the "table of choice" is for everyone, I will be opening a Pool Room soon in the DFW area and I'm starting to initiate some R&D to find out what kind of tables are most popular and why.

Please list your favorite table and describe why you like it, no "table bashing", let's keep it positive, we all know everyone has their own preference for many reasons, what is yours?

Where in Dallas and when?

Push&Pool

Professional Banger
Silver Member
I'm personally fine with cheap valleys and similar. What kind of players will the pool room be attracting? The serious ones, the bangers and casuals or everyone? Maybe mix in good 9ft tables with some cheaper 7-footers? It's only my opinion though...

Pre-Flag Master

Cue Ball Man
Silver Member
Diamond professionals, drop pockets. I personally don't think the pro-ams are as attractive.

If I was opening a room, I think I would get about 80% of the tables with league cut pockets and 20% with Pro-cut. I think the easier pockets encourage newer players.

Ian

Second that. Not sure if I've ever seen a Professional in person, but the Pro Ams aren't too nice to look at IMO. On their website, the Professionals look nice. I like the way Diamonds play, as has been stated, challenging but fair.

My understanding is that their latest tables have addressed the "rails play too short" issue.

And I agree with placing 80% normal cut and 20% pro cut. Or if you're anticipated customer base would be a lot of serious players, maybe 60/40 - adjust as you see fit. Make sure your staff knows what tables to assign to who.

A room full of the Professionals would look awesome.

Fatz

HOSS22

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
you can diamondize a gold crown all you want but its not even close to a real diamond,the room i play at has 9 diamonds and 8 valleys(they are for league) you go from a diamond 9footer to a gold crown,,,,its not even close in comparison!

WestPenn

West Penn Billiards
:lmao:
I laugh every time I see this. Not because I do not support buying American made products. As I always buy American when I feel it is a superior product, and/or feel it is really made in the U.S. But lets face it, many so called "American made" products use many many off shore parts.

No one has yet answered the questions of where the slate, leather pockets, and rails are made on a Diamond table? If it is the U.S. then that is AWESOME. The rails are made in Germany? The other parts? Slate? If it is Westone it would be China. Who supplies the Dymondwood? Is it a U.S. manufacturer?
Last I looked Brunswick is also an American company, that supplies actually MORE American jobs. So what is the difference?

Olhausen tables are made in the USA with parts from the US, unless you want a specific exotic wood that comes from another country, such as getting rails made from Brazilian jatoba wood.

I would also look into getting some Olhausen Grand Champions. They're made in America with American parts. And you'll never have to replace the cushions since all Olhausen tables come with Accu-Fast.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Olhausen tables are made in the USA with parts from the US, unless you want a specific exotic wood that comes from another country, such as getting rails made from Brazilian jatoba wood.

I would also look into getting some Olhausen Grand Champions. They're made in America with American parts. And you'll never have to replace the cushions since all Olhausen tables come with Accu-Fast.

But you forgot the Olhausen death rattle pockets, which come with ALL Olhausen's;) Diamond's are about as American made as possible as well, minus all the particle board used in the Olhausen's;)

rayjay

some of the kids
Silver Member
Would'nt mind walking into a room full Diamonds.

Doc & Eddie's in Albuquerque, NM, on May 15 this year just installed 8-9' and 8-7' new Diamond tables. Unfortunately, RKC did not install them. They could sure use some follow-up maintainence and adjustment.

WestPenn

West Penn Billiards
But you forgot the Olhausen death rattle pockets, which come with ALL Olhausen's;) Diamond's are about as American made as possible as well, minus all the particle board used in the Olhausen's;)

The only place they use particle board is on the slate backing(and their slate is the same slate as Diamond). They do have some particle board tables, but we don't carry those. Their tables are solid wood and they back them up with a lifetime warranty. No one else does that.

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
Is Butch and Donny still involved with the Olhausen company?

The only place they use particle board is on the slate backing(and their slate is the same slate as Diamond). They do have some particle board tables, but we don't carry those. Their tables are solid wood and they back them up with a lifetime warranty. No one else does that.

Is Butch and Donny (the Olhausen brothers) still involved with the Olhausen company? I haven't talked to them in many years, they went to Las Cruces high school with some friends of mine. I had one of their 6/12 snooker tables in my pool room for years in Dallas.

fathomblue

Rusty Shackleford
Silver Member
The room I play in regularly has 3 (formerly 4) Olhausen tables from the early 90's or so. I can't remember the model.

The Olhausen death rattle (or the Wobbler, as we call it here), has stopped many a run and really saps a player of confidence quickly.

Their pocket angles are an abomination.

WestPenn

West Penn Billiards
Is Butch and Donny (the Olhausen brothers) still involved with the Olhausen company? I haven't talked to them in many years, they went to Las Cruces high school with some friends of mine. I had one of their 6/12 snooker tables in my pool room for years in Dallas.

Yes, they're very actively involved. They still design the tables (they introduced some new ones at the BCA show). They also help out with production a lot, especially during the busy winter season. You meet them and spend some time with them if you go to the sales training they have twice a year.

realkingcobra

Silver Member

Check their rail skirts sometime, and yes, Diamond also stands behind their tables as well, and have a MUCH better resale value than ANY Olhausen does. And if I'm not mistaken, Donny bought Butch out of Olhausen, as in I think Donny is the only brothed that has anything to do with their tables, and that was a while ago;)

WestPenn

West Penn Billiards
Check their rail skirts sometime, and yes, Diamond also stands behind their tables as well, and have a MUCH better resale value than ANY Olhausen does. And if I'm not mistaken, Donny bought Butch out of Olhausen, as in I think Donny is the only brothed that has anything to do with their tables, and that was a while ago;)

I have a set from a Hampton in the back. Tulipwood. No particle board.