Diamonds clearly bank shorter than most other if not all tables…so, why?

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Why do they bank shorter? They absolutely bank noticeably and distinctly shorter - that’s a fact that any reasonable hobby player can easily know, so what do the better players and pro players do mentally to play on these or other brands to still play consistently great? Thx
The boing coefficient has been thoroughly researched and prepared for master level reflective smear resistance.

Why?

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The reason they play goofy is Diamond didn't know, and still doesn't know, what the hell they were doing, and let out goofy rails from the factory for 30 years.

How to adjust:

speed: play position for an extra rail when going across the table (pin ball machine bounce).
angle: you just have to know where it will go and deal with it.

boogieman

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that ping.
Why do they bank shorter? They absolutely bank noticeably and distinctly shorter - that’s a fact that any reasonable hobby player can easily know, so what do the better players and pro players do mentally to play on these or other brands to still play consistently great? Thx
They don't bank shorter, you're hitting it too hard.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
OK, just to throw a little poop in the fan, I think snooker tables bank better than pool tables. No experience but I understand billiard tables do too.

Why are we hung in these rail profile and nose height issues?

Hu

sammylane12

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I thought they addressed that issue?

TrxR

OK, just to throw a little poop in the fan, I think snooker tables bank better than pool tables. No experience but I understand billiard tables do too.

Why are we hung in these rail profile and nose height issues?

Hu
Modern steel backed snooker tables apparently bank different than the older tables do to the rails being stiffer.

I still have a theory that Diamond rails are stiffer than other table due to the butcher block design. It could be a different brand cushion as well.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Maybe other tables bank long 😂
2 faces or a vase ???;)
:unsure:
2 faces or vase.png

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
Modern steel backed snooker tables apparently bank different than the older tables do to the rails being stiffer.

I have been aware of the steel in some snooker table rails for a few years. Almost counterintuitive to me, I didn't think it would matter significantly, however it does make a superior rail. I have wondered how that might affect pool tables if the same was done.

This is clearly a solution in search of a problem though. You adjust to tables where you play. In New Orleans the blue label Diamonds still bank fairly short. I went to Dallas for a week and the Diamonds played fantastic there. Of course I have found the worse the table the bigger the homefield advantage!

Hu

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Next time compare the height and cut of the Diamond table’s rails with the cue ball and object balls equator line.
Then compare it with other brand pool tables. The Diamond rails are appreciably higher than other pool tables and
definitely bank differently. Just a smidge of English and controlling bank shot speed can easily remedy the situation.

muskyed

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ya, I think the question should actually be, Why do most all other tables bank long in comparison to Diamonds?

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't think the wood material or rail construction have much to do with it. If the stiffness of the wood (laminated oak on a Diamond vs solid poplar on a GC) made much of a difference, I think we'd see a "bigger difference" where there is a rail bolt on a poplar rail vs where there is no rail bolt on a poplar rail.

ps, I think "butcher block" is the wrong term for what diamond does. Butcher block in cooking cutting boards usually refers to end grain sticking up in square blocks which is the best for the knife not whittling down the cutting board over time. Diamond rails are simply laminated together, with the grain cupping alternating direction, which is super common in any woodworking solid wood panel glue-up. The alternating grain orientation is to minimize warping over time.

I was at the Hopkins expo last month and talked a while about this with Philly's top table mechanic. He too was of the opinion that Diamond did everything great, except they completely ruined the rails bounce/angle, and he too could not believe a company of "players" would ever let those rails out the door for 30 years.

Anyway, he told me he has a durometer measuring instrument in his truck and measures every table he works on, and every new cushion he installs, and even keeps a scrap of the new cushions in his truck, all as a way to know if the cushions on a table are in need of replacement. He told me that Diamond cushions, both the Artemis on the 9' tables, and the Diamond black on the 7' tables, are about 10 durometer softer than just about every other brand of cushion. It was his opinion that this softness was the major cause of both the diamond fast speed, and the diamond short angle.

Last edited:

TrxR

I don't think the wood material or rail construction have much to do with it. If the stiffness of the wood (laminated oak on a Diamond vs solid poplar on a GC) made much of a difference, I think we'd see a "bigger difference" where there is a rail bolt on a poplar rail vs where there is no rail bolt on a poplar rail.

ps, I think "butcher block" is the wrong term for what diamond does. Butcher block in cooking cutting boards usually refers to end grain sticking up in square blocks which is the best for the knife not whittling down the cutting board over time. Diamond rails are simply laminated together, with the grain cupping alternating direction, which is super common in any woodworking solid wood panel glue-up. The alternating grain orientation is to minimize warping over time.

I was at the Hopkins expo last month and talked a while about this with Philly's top table mechanic. He too was of the opinion that Diamond did everything great, except they completely ruined the rails bounce/angle, and he too could not believe a company of "players" would ever let those rails out the door for 30 years.

Anyway, he told me he has a durmometer measuring instrument in his truck and measures every table he works on, and every new cushion he installs, and even keeps a scrap of the new cushions in his truck, all as a way to know if the cushions on a table are in need of replacement. He told me that Diamond cushions, both the Artemis on the 9' tables, and the Diamond black on the 7' tables, are about 10 durometer softer than just about every other brand of cushion. It was his opinion that this softness was the major cause of both the diamond fast speed, and the diamond short angle.
Butcher block is the proper term as it doesn't necessarily mean end grain sticking up. Look at butcher block counter tops.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Butcher block is the proper term as it doesn't necessarily mean end grain sticking up. Look at butcher block counter tops.
I think the countertop industry messed up the term too. An endgrain cutting board is way, way better and is more traditional. (I've made a few myself, and the amount of work to make them is more than double). Anyway that's minutia in our discussion, I was just bringing it up for conversation:)

TrxR

Anyway, he told me he has a durmometer measuring instrument in his truck and measures every table he works on, and every new cushion he installs, and even keeps a scrap of the new cushions in his truck, all as a way to know if the cushions on a table are in need of replacement. He told me that Diamond cushions, both the Artemis on the 9' tables, and the Diamond black on the 7' tables, are about 10 durometer softer than just about every other brand of cushion. It was his opinion that this softness was the major cause of both the diamond fast speed, and the diamond short angle.
So he is saying it's not a rail issue it's a cushion issue.

They did fix the nose height issue with the blue label.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So he is saying it's not a rail issue it's a cushion issue.

They did fix the nose height issue with the blue label.
That was his opinion, yes.

But he also said he has not tested out his theory, for example putting a superspeed cushion on the Diamond rail, etc.