Did you give or did I take it?

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yesterday I'm playing my usual one pocket foe and we always battle pretty even.
I won 5 straight games and he quit saying" I gave you all those games".
I said" I thought I played good enough to take them from you"
I did play quite well.
Sour grapes on his part?
Last week I came out 2 games down in our session.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If he dogged straight in balls and left you dead out each game, he gave it to you.

If he played well, and you just happened to play slightly better, you took it from him.

sixpack

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The loser is the one who made the last mistake. The fewer mistakes you make the more likely it won’t be you.

That is it. Always.

Just because someone made a dumb sellout mistake doesn’t mean they gave it to you. It means you successfully avoided making the last mistake and they didn’t.

It can really mess with your head to think about justice or luck and who gave what.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Sour grapes. Poor sports are often unable to believe they have been outplayed. Earl is the king of this breed. No player has ever beat him. He has lost because of the referee, the lighting, the temperature, the humidity, the equipment, bad racking, the luck factor, the fans, and for many other reasons.

SBC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I did play quite well.
Sour grapes on his part?
Just agree with him.....the customer is always right

Quesports

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You got to lose with some semblance of respect for the winner. If not the next time you play them the memory could affect your game negatively.

I strive to be a good loser then go find a place to berate myself where no one can see or hear me! Losing sux, It’s how you handle it that people remember.

1Hole_Nut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sour grapes. Poor sports are often unable to believe they have been outplayed. Earl is the king of this breed. No player has ever beat him. He has lost because of the referee, the lighting, the temperature, the humidity, the equipment, bad racking, the luck factor, the fans, and for many other reasons.
Stu has Earl done something to you personly ? ..... just woundering because ive seen you bash him on here more than a few times

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Stu has Earl done something to you personly ? ..... just woundering because ive seen you bash him on here more than a few times
No, he's always been nice to me and vice versa, but I've watched him abuse opponents, referees, sponsors, fans and tournament producers for nearly 50 years now. I judge others by how they treat everybody, not only by how they treat me, and I base my views on Earl on what I've seen, not on what I've heard.

I have great respect for Earl as a competitor and I think he has a very genuine love of pool. He is undeniably an all-time great, and I complained when he wasn't voted into the BCA Hall of Fame soon enough. Still, his demeanor has compromised our sport's integrity far too often. At a time when our sport is starting to succeed at shaking its negative image, he's a negative role model in this respect..

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
Has he ever said this before when he lost to you? What do you think happen? Did he beat you to the out and dog his brains out? Or did you out maneuver him to the out.

Usually, a player can tell.

Zerksies

If your usually even matched. The winner is usually who's playing a little that day. You might not be playing better they could be playing sub-par that day.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I did play quite well.
Sour grapes on his part?

You took it.

Here is an excerpt from a longer post I made a long time ago about 1pocket (insert flashback music):

...And here's the reason it's the perfect hustler's game: your opponent never ever thinks you've beaten them -- they always leave the table thinking that they beat themselves. They missed the shot (and sold out), misplayed a safety (and sold out), hit a bank too hard (and sold out), let the cue ball creep out a bit too far (and sold out), well you get my point. What they don't get is how difficult some of those simple looking safeties are to execute; the quality of the trap they were put in that forced the error; how repeatedly they were trapped (frozen to the back of a ball or the stack, with a ball in the jaws of their opponent's pocket); and how, without fail, their opponent punishes them for their mistakes. What it boils down to is that any opponent that doesn't come to the table with the full compliment of shots in their bag of tricks, is pretty much doomed from the start against an experienced player. You can't just know some of the shots -- you have to know them all. The player that knows the most shots best wins.

Lou Figueroa

Reactions: sjm

eastcoast_chris

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've given many matches away. Did it just this weekend. My opponent played well, that isn't the question.

I dogged my chance and GAVE it to them. They did nothing but tap a nine ball and 8-9 balls in the last two games.

9 ball is a game (which I detest) where you can easily give away matches when you outplay your opponent for the majority of the match.

"The balls roll funny for everybody, kiddo." ... sums up my weekend ;)

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Has he ever said this before when he lost to you? What do you think happen? Did he beat you to the out and dog his brains out? Or did you out maneuver him to the out.

Usually, a player can tell.
We are well matched ability wise but he made more mistakes then I did and he lost.
But he walked away feeling that he gave me the games instead of that I just out played him,that's a good thing.
Last time I came out two games down at the end of our session,he is tough to beat.