Disappointed w/ Jacoby Warranty

BlueCollarBar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have to say that I am very disappointed in Jacoby after all the good things I've preciously heard about them. Because I'm lazy I copied my post I made about this on facebook below but I want to add that Bob, the owner of RG Billiards, is a great guy and I've done a lot of business with him over the past few years and after this he definitely has a customer for life. It's very rare to find a company that stands behind the products they sell even if the manufacturer doesn't. I can't say enough good things about Bob.

I just want to say a big thank you to Bob Cook at RG Billiards here in Hoover, Al. I purchased a 60" Jacoby Sneaky Pete from him a few months ago and the shaft cracked on it after only a few weeks. I took it in to him and he sent it off the Jacoby to get it replaced under warranty. Jacoby denied the warranty claiming it was not a manufacturer defect that caused the crack to occur but Bob, being the great guy that he is, decided to cover the cost of replacing the shaft. He didn't tell me this until today when I picked it up. If anyone ever needs anything billiards related I highly recommend RG Billiards! Great selection, price and customer service!

http://www.rgbilliards.com

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That's great you got it replaced, but if they said it was not a defect that is nothing negative against Jacoby. Shafts break with too much pressure if you bend it too much, being dropped, etc... and I don't know of any company that warranties against such things. Issue is that it's impossible to prove one way or the other what exactly happened so if they look at the shaft and it looks like it was an issue due to misuse, they have to make a call one way or the other.

BlueCollarBar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes I understand that but in this instance misuse or abuse was far from reality. It cracked straight up the middle from the joint/pin. I can understand a denial after maybe 6-9 months of use but 3 weeks and maybe 15 hours of play on the shaft and never dropped, knocked over or anything that could have caused an unnoticeable stress fracture. Very disappointed in their decision to say the least.

I was previously a partner with my father in a roofing company and there were multiple occasions where a leak occurred due to faulty sky lights or shingles with a manufacturer defect where we repaired the roof at our cost regardless of the manufacturer reimbursing us or not. My point is that we have the homeowner the benefit of the doubt and took care of the customer because it was the right thing to do. In my mind this was a dollars and cents decision on their part and I expected more given what I had previously heard about them. Their reputation is what I used to justify my purchase and I was let down.

Shooter08

Runde Aficianado
Gold Member
Silver Member
"Production" Cue manufacturers warranty their cues direct to the customer, the dealer should not be involved in the process and he should of sent you direct to Jacoby. I have a feeling if you would of called direct and spoke to someone at Jacoby and explained your situation you may have had a different result, most likely a shaft shipped to you direct from Jacoby. Another thing many people do not realize is that you need to register your cue upon purchase at the Jacoby website to insure warranty.

BlueCollarBar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
"Production" Cue manufacturers warranty their cues direct to the customer, the dealer should not be involved in the process and he should of sent you direct to Jacoby. I have a feeling if you would of called direct and spoke to someone at Jacoby and explained your situation you may have had a different result, most likely a shaft shipped to you direct from Jacoby. Another thing many people do not realize is that you need to register your cue upon purchase at the Jacoby website to insure warranty.

I can't imagine why the dealer whom I purchased from would not be involved w/ the process. I would never want a customer of mine cutting me out of the mix because I'm there to take care of my customer and their needs. It's much easier to just drop it off at the store and let them handle it than deal with it myself especially considering I don't have the proper packaging to ship the shaft back to Jacoby and he has it readily available.

mortuarymike-nv

mortuarymike-nv
Silver Member
Warranty

I have to say that I am very disappointed in Jacoby after all the good things I've preciously heard about them. Because I'm lazy I copied my post I made about this on facebook below but I want to add that Bob, the owner of RG Billiards, is a great guy and I've done a lot of business with him over the past few years and after this he definitely has a customer for life. It's very rare to find a company that stands behind the products they sell even if the manufacturer doesn't. I can't say enough good things about Bob.

I just want to say a big thank you to Bob Cook at RG Billiards here in Hoover, Al. I purchased a 60" Jacoby Sneaky Pete from him a few months ago and the shaft cracked on it after only a few weeks. I took it in to him and he sent it off the Jacoby to get it replaced under warranty. Jacoby denied the warranty claiming it was not a manufacturer defect that caused the crack to occur but Bob, being the great guy that he is, decided to cover the cost of replacing the shaft. He didn't tell me this until today when I picked it up. If anyone ever needs anything billiards related I highly recommend RG Billiards! Great selection, price and customer service!

If your sneaky pete broke at the joint up and if there is no collar on the joint then every production cue maker I know will say that was caused by abuse.

Collarless shafts cracking at the joint is the most common problem with sneaky petes.. .......................

Does it have a collar on the joint of the shaft ???????????????????????

ARCHY2

Registered

Had a simioar problem with TIGER x shaft a few years ago. split about 2 inches long starting at the collar . Enough space to stick in a razor blade thickness. The did what appears to be an epoxy ??? I guess repair. HOWEVER is that as good as the real thing. Nothing more would be done by them. Warentee said replacement ? Much email had to eventually give up.

BlueCollarBar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If your sneaky pete broke at the joint up and if there is no collar on the joint then every production cue maker I know will say that was caused by abuse.

Collarless shafts cracking at the joint is the most common problem with sneaky petes.. .......................

Have you ever seen a sneaky pete with a collar? I think it would kind of defeat he purpose of a sneaky Pete.

BlueCollarBar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Had a simioar problem with TIGER x shaft a few years ago. split about 2 inches long starting at the collar . Enough space to stick in a razor blade thickness. The did what appears to be an epoxy ??? I guess repair. HOWEVER is that as good as the real thing. Nothing more would be done by them. Warentee said replacement ? Much email had to eventually give up.

I had someone offer to repair it and that's essentially what he was going to do. With a good epoxy I'm sure it would be fine but luckily I don't have to worry about that.

edep12

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I had someone offer to repair it and that's essentially what he was going to do. With a good epoxy I'm sure it would be fine but luckily I don't have to worry about that.

While I agree that it kind of defeats the purpose, MANY sneakies have collars. So many that I have seen the term "true sneaky" coined to represent the ones which don't have collars.

mortuarymike-nv

mortuarymike-nv
Silver Member
sneaky Pets

Have you ever seen a sneaky pete with a collar? I think it would kind of defeat he purpose of a sneaky Pete.

Yes all the sneaky petes I have dealt with and all the ones I make have a collar.

I had the same issue with a OB classic. I went round and round with Royce from OB cues over the same exact problem you have.
I learned the hard way on that one, this is why I know about the warranty policies on a collar less shafts.

I didn't like what Royce had to say, and I don't fully buy into the cue abuse thing.
But after I got thinking about it I had seen several collarless shafts that were cracked at the joint.

I do think that they should warn customers or at least educate the customers that the collarless shafts are not covered under warranty if the shaft splits at the joint.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Whether it has a collar or anything else is irrelevant. If it comes with a warranty, it should be covered by that warranty. If the company doesn't want to warranty their cues, they should just say "sold as is".

Double-Dave

Developing cue-addict
Silver Member
Whenever we get an email about a warranty issue (inevitable when you sell hundreds of cues a year)
about a warped shaft or a broken ferrule, without fail the owner always says he really takes great
care of his equipment, always stores it properly, never breaks with it (unles it's a break cue) and pretty
much always pampers it like he/she would a duckling.

The simple fact is, shafts without collars are waaayyy more prone to splitting at the joint then shafts with collars.
Most commonly this happens when breaking with the cue or when doing an extreme draw. Most people do
not even realise they are digging their tip into the cloth when doing this (not everyone does) and at that point
there is quite a bit of force on the joint.

As a previous poster says, it always remains a bit of a judgement call on whether or not this is a warranty
or an abuse issue. Without seeing the shaft for myself I cannot really comment on that part either way.

gr. Dave

BlueCollarBar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well I have a designated break cue and only played with it for 15 hours max so it's hard to not take care of a cue in that short amount of time. Either way, here is a picture.

Jack Justis

CASEMAKER
Silver Member
Cracked shaft

If you want to know why your shaft cracked, Google photo of Mike Sigel's break.

Last edited:

mortuarymike-nv

mortuarymike-nv
Silver Member
Collarless sneaky

Whether it has a collar or anything else is irrelevant. If it comes with a warranty, it should be covered by that warranty. If the company doesn't want to warranty their cues, they should just say "sold as is".

Sorry to disagree with you but the truth is the collar is relevant.
Without the collar there is no strength to protect the joint from cracking or splitting.
If you think about the direction of the wood grain plus the pin is actually putting outward force on the wood at the joint it takes very little pressure to crack or split the wood.

I don't write the warranty polies for Jacoby cues.
I have ran into where the joint end of the shaft has cracked and have tried to get warranty and was told it was broken because of sideward pressure to the joint.
OR ABUSE

That is the only reason why I know about warranty or no warranty on the joints of a collarless shafts.

It is also the reason why I will not buy and sale or make any cue that doesn't have a collar...............................

Every time I see a thread about someone who is going to buy a sneaky pete I always try to warn them about the inherent weakness of a collarless shaft and that they should ask about if the company warranty polies covers collarless shafts.

RBC

Deceased
Yes all the sneaky petes I have dealt with and all the ones I make have a collar.

I had the same issue with a OB classic. I went round and round with Royce from OB cues over the same exact problem you have.
I learned the hard way on that one, this is why I know about the warranty policies on a collar less shafts.

I didn't like what Royce had to say, and I don't fully buy into the cue abuse thing.
But after I got thinking about it I had seen several collarless shafts that were cracked at the joint.

I do think that they should warn customers or at least educate the customers that the collarless shafts are not covered under warranty if the shaft splits at the joint.

Mike

I remember the conversation. It wasn't easy, but sometimes what's right isn't easy.

And, for the record, we don't ever say that someone "abused" a cue or shaft. That's not our place to decide. What we do is determine the cause of the failure. If that turns out to be a defective product we take care of it hands down. If it turns out to be something completely outside our control or the normal use of the cue, then it won't be something we can replace under warranty.

Also, we do educate those who have us build a collarless shaft that it weaker at the joint without a collar. It's when the shaft is either purchased as a partial and built out by someone else, or we build it for a dealer that we don't ever speak directly to the customer.

Thanks

Royce

Double-Dave

Developing cue-addict
Silver Member
Well I have a designated break cue and only played with it for 15 hours max so it's hard to not take care of a cue in that short amount of time. Either way, here is a picture.

That shaft to me looks like it was played a lot more then 15 hours. Lots of discoloration on the unfinished
part and metal wear inside the threads indicating is has been screwed together/unscrewed quite a few times.
From a picture I cannot judge this 100% but that is what I would be thinking if I saw the shaft and the owner
told me he had only played it for about 15 hours.

gr. Dave