Do cue tips go bad over time?

striped

Registered
I'm getting back in the game and the cue I’m using probably has a 8 year old tip. It visually seems fine. Has age degraded it? I’m shooting with it and it seems to work but I don’t have a comparison between what would be an OK tip and a good tip.

boogieman

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that ping.
I'm getting back in the game and the cue I’m using probably has a 8 year old tip. It visually seems fine. Has age degraded it? I’m shooting with it and it seems to work but I don’t have a comparison between what would be an OK tip and a good tip.
What kind of tip? Most single layers play ok for a while but eventually they start feeling dead. Layered tips are probably hardened and need replaced too. You can play with them for a few months with no trouble, but budget for a replacement when you can.

Poolplaya9

Tellin' it like it is...
Silver Member
My experience has been that tanned leather usually lasts decades before degrading much if it spends its time in a temperature controlled environment. Think of how long all the leather cue cases, jackets, and purses out there tend to last without noticeable leather deterioration. Exposure to water, or perhaps high humidity for a prolonged period, can ruin a leather tip quick though.

gcmortal

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've found 70's and 80's cues with what could have been the original tip. What failed (quickly) was the glue job. Don't know how to compare eight years to forty or fifty, but you say it seems to work so I wouldn't sweat it.

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
I have the original Champion tips from the 70s that are still great today. Good LePros from back in the day, have a coating, still good.

Unless the tip was faulty in the first place, time does not degrade it.

All the best,
WW

TheBasics

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Howdy All;

I have about 2/3's left in a box of Le Pros that I bought in 79. Figure they
were made in 78 or 77. WTFKs??? Any way just had one put on a shaft
and just spent 3 hours breaking it in. Works very well on the cue its on.
Think it has to do with the coating. Makes'em the M&Ms of cue tips :D

hank

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Howdy All;

I have about 2/3's left in a box of Le Pros that I bought in 79. Figure they
were made in 78 or 77. WTFKs??? Any way just had one put on a shaft
and just spent 3 hours breaking it in. Works very well on the cue its on.
Think it has to do with the coating. Makes'em the M&Ms of cue tips :D

hank
They are sooooooo good. Makes my heart warm to hear about old Le Pro’s getting used.

misterpoole

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Tips will harden but if you dont mind a harder tip then its all good. Still playing with an original Moori.

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I had 17 years on an original set of Richard Black tips- the tips he put on his cues were great- I think he made them himself. Finally replaced them 3 years ago. If a tip still shapes up well then the leather is probably still playable. If it flakes and crumbles when being shaped; then the old tip needs to go.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think it may depend upon the tip and the surrounding conditions (heat, humidity, etc.) or if they were stored in a container or exposed to the conditions.

I have had some tips last forever and some that dried out and became unusable.

Laminated tips are another story.

I just had two G-2 soft tips that were on cues come apart at the layers where the glue has failed. The cues were stored in cases and rarely used and when I hit a few balls with both shafts the topmost layers started popping off. The tips were installed by a qualified cue repairman.

CaleAYS

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A buddy had some of the old original moori tips. Said they were over ten years old. Had one installed and after about ten shots it split clean off but the bottom two layers. Just the glue failed after getting old I guess. Thats probably the only issue with layered tips that are older and I’m not sure how common it is really. Pretty sure all tips are gonna hardened up over time to some extent but if a tip was bad I think you’d know it pretty quick no matter how old it was.

JusticeNJ

Four Points/Steel Joints
Silver Member
I bought a Richard Black a few months ago made that was made in 1990. It had never hit a ball before. The one shaft I play with has a single layer tip that looks like a LePro. It plays great. The tips held up better than the finish, which settled into the wood in a few places.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
i had a bunch of g2 tips that i had for 2 years they dried out and got hard
( i live in florida and the A/C is on all the time)
for the record g2 soft is what i still play with and strongly recommend them
on the other hand
i have an abe rich cue that is 40 years old with the original tip
i take it out from time to time and it still holds chalk and plays well

Brookeland Bill

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Duh!