Do you consider follow and draw 'english'?

rackmsuckr said:
About 35 years ago, I was taught that sidespin applied is called english. Follow and draw are just that. Hit the ball high, it follows, hit the ball low, it stops or draws. However, I read on this board many times where people call it top (or high) and bottom english. Is it just another regional difference?


Yes, in response to your thread title.
 
Andrew Manning said:
Just because it doesn't matter doesn't mean it's not fun to discuss ad nauseum.

-Andrew
i am not saying it is not fun to discuss it lol... I am just saying it doesn't matter and that is really the fun of discussing it.

BVal
 
Andrew Manning said:
I usually only use the terms high and low english when in combination with side spin. For example, if using low-center, I woudn't call it low english, I'd call it draw. But using low-right, I wouldn't call it "draw and right english", I'd call it "low-right english".

-Andrew
That's a very good explanation of english.
 
Hi Linda,

I learned it the way you did, but if I'm referring to a combination of draw and left, for example, I would say 'low left english' or just 'low left'. With knowledgeable players, I would usually use a number on the clock face for more precision. I think it's important to be clear and relatively universal in acknowledging that english refers only to sidespin in order to avoid confusion among beginning players. If that's clear, imagine how perplexed a student would be when his/her instructor says to avoid english at this stage, when they were just working on draw and follow the session before.

I hear some people saying that we should change the terminology to sidespin, for example. I see no reason to change a term that is part of the billiard lore and that has been clearly understood for decades. Although it's an unavoidable part of the internationalization of the sport, I confess to being somewhat dismayed by what I call the "snookerization" of pool over the last few years in areas ranging from pocket sizes to terminology. I fear that in the not too distant future we will all be playing, with almost no english and no bank shots, on 3.5 inch pockets and we will all be trying to pot the black without scratching the white.
 
Well, if you think about it, ANYWHERE you hit the cue ball applies English to the ball, even "dead center". It all depends on how hard you hit it.

The first thing that happens when you hit the cue ball is it goes some (Skids, glides) before the friction takes over and it actually starts rolling over the cloth.

Depending on the speed you hit the cue ball with, and the distance between the cue ball and the object ball, determines when the cue ball begins to roll.
 
As long as we can all understand each other and be on the same page.

High/low or Top English/Bottom English or Follow/Draw are pretty simple not to mix up.

When people start mixing Right and Left side spin or English then we have a problem.
 
9BallPaul said:
Just for grins, here's the dictionary definition:

"english: spin around the vertical axis deliberately imparted to a ball that is driven or rolled".

That was a good call to look it up! I think that pretty much clears up any doubt in my mind; top-spin and back-spin are technically not types of "english". (Although, if enough people use the term that way, then the dictionary should update its definition to reflect that.)

On another note, since they used the term "deliberately" in the definition, I guess that means there's no such thing as "accidental english", only "accidental side spin". :D
 
Jeff said:
Well, if you think about it, ANYWHERE you hit the cue ball applies English to the ball, even "dead center". It all depends on how hard you hit it.

The first thing that happens when you hit the cue ball is it goes some (Skids, glides) before the friction takes over and it actually starts rolling over the cloth.

Depending on the speed you hit the cue ball with, and the distance between the cue ball and the object ball, determines when the cue ball begins to roll.
I am having grave difficulty in understanding your statement. I assume that you are one who believes that any cue-induced spin should be called 'english'. If so, how can you possibly apply that to a hit that produces no spin at all?

It's important for us to be specific in the terms we use to describe what is done at the table. I believe it is truly misleading to use the same term to describe sidespine and to describe spin created along the vertical axis, particularly because of the peculiar things that occur when we deviate from the vertical axis. As an earlier poster noted, using your broad definition of english, terms like BHE would become meaningless.
 
For most of us, it all makes no difference, because we've all been exposed to the various terminologies for so long... Talk to someone who has no knowledge of pool (ie a kid just learning or a beginning player) and there'll be quite a difference. Top spin, Back spin, Left spin, and Right spin can be picked up (conceptually) quite readily. English, draw and follow will be concepts that will have to be explained in order for it to make sense. And, you'd probably be hard pressed to explain it without using spin in your definition. Now, of course, most of us diehard / experienced players have been using the terminology for so long, that there will be much resistance to even thinking about changing. Can't make a leopard change its spots sorta thing... Ideal world does not always match with reality. Granted.

There's an assertion that "it's important to be clear and relatively universal in acknowledging that english refers only to sidespin in order to avoid confusion among beginning players." And with that assertion, it suggests that "if that's clear, imagine how perplexed a student would be when his/her instructor says to avoid english at this stage, when they were just working on draw and follow the session before."
For a beginning player all of this can be circumvented quite readily, by simply telling the player, that you should learn top and bottom spin before learning side spin. This takes away the aspect of having to relay to them the concept of English...

Interesting enough: the confusion about what english is, is what has generated this thread to begin with. And many of the people on here have had very differing answers/points of view on this. This is amongst the people who play pool regularly.

Great to talk ad nauseum about something which will likely make no difference anyway!!! Glad to add my 2 cents worth. :)
 
When someone asks, "What kind of english did you put on that shot?" pretty well answers the question.

Hitting the cue ball anywhere imparts some type of "english".
 
HitHrdNDraw said:
If I thrust my hips only forward or backwards is it still body english or do I need to have some sideways movement?

That type of hip movement is more precisely defined in the works of the Kama Sutra.
JoeyA
 
Stones said:
When someone asks, "What kind of english did you put on that shot?" pretty well answers the question.

Hitting the cue ball anywhere imparts some type of "english".

It seems like a regional semantic to me too. I see more players from the South, applying the word "english" to any kind of spin on the cueball.

In the U.S., we instructors define only sidespin as english, in order for the student to be able to readily understand the difference between just top and bottom spin; versus top, or bottom spin (or centerball), with added sidespin. Therefore, top, center and bottom, by themselves, are NOT english.

In the U.K., the difference in terminology is somewhat the same. Draw is called 'screw', and english is called 'side', thereby differentiating the two kinds of spin...rotational (sidespin), and directional (top or bottom, without sidespin).

Scott Lee
 
The word `English` came to usage when American players saw some visiting British Tourist hitting the cue ball away from the centre to the left or right , then Americans started calling that kind of hit as `English`
 
vagabond said:
The word `English` came to usage when American players saw some visiting British Tourist hitting the cue ball away from the centre to the left or right , then Americans started calling that kind of hit as `English`
It's time for us Americans to rebel again!!!

We've changed french fries to freedom fries!!!

The British are backing out of Iraq....
It's your patriotic duty to change "english" to "spin"!

If you continue to use the term "english" then you're UNAmerican. Even if you're already unAmerican...


<insert star spangled banner here>
scratch that... this calls for <glory glory hallelujah>

Oh oh oh... And I want one of those patriotic background sets with the flags and the American eagle... Can do a real set, or we can use one of those computer generated ones... Gotta love Modern technology...
OK OK, well in the meantime can just imagine it.
 
Yes, it is very easy to understand that low left means low left english, I think that is pretty universal. I guess the major concensus is that anything other than sidespin is really not 'english', but feel free to use the term anyway. :p
 
rackmsuckr said:
Yes, it is very easy to understand that low left means low left english,

Commie! Dissentor! Protestor! All Anti-American!
This will be picked up by the Bush administration's domestic spying program and you will inprisoned, missy!! Say goodbye to your family, and don't expect a trial or even to see a lawyer. Habeus Corpus, yeah right! Cuz that's not how our Americanism works around here!
 
FLICKit said:
Commie! Dissentor! Protestor! All Anti-American!
This will be picked up by the Bush administration's domestic spying program and you will inprisoned, missy!! Say goodbye to your family, and don't expect a trial or even to see a lawyer. Habeus Corpus, yeah right! Cuz that's not how our Americanism works around here!

Yeah, but I'm one of Donovan's security guards! :p
 
Around here follow is follow and draw is draw and english is left or right spin and never the twain shall meet.
 
Back
Top