Do you guys love pool so much you over look a lot of stuff? Possibly my final post

jimmyco

NRA4Life
Silver Member
Bring your own eight ball. Cost you about $10.

It will pay for itself in only 1000 games, give or take a hundred.

book collector

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bring your own eight ball. Cost you about $10.

It will pay for itself in only 1000 games, give or take a hundred.

After 1000 games , won't it start deteriorating and be worth less than when new? What if someone steals it when he goes to the bathroom.

ChrisSjoblom

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am not sure why you think this stuff is trivial? Would you go play bowling if the lanes were not oiled? Would you go to a restaurant if the floor was sticky?

I don't go to bowling alleys because I don't like to bowl. I tried it years ago and it just wasn't my thing so I stopped. Seemed simple enough to me.

I will, and do, go to a restaurant even if the floor is sticky (or the windows are dirty, or the interior is run down, etc...) as long as I like the food and the staff.

In general, if the things i like outweigh the things I don't like, then I stay with whatever, whomever or wherever it is. If not, I move on. That's how I find my happiest path through life. It can't always work that way, of course, but for me most of the time it does. The key to this, though, and I think this may be the point you are missing, is that you have to realize that you will always have to accept some bad with the good.

Last edited:

Bic D

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You are very fortunate to have a league and so many opportunities to play pool. I live on a small island. While there are several bars, only one of them has 2 pool tables (coin-op bar boxes)

Half the people here can't even spell league...so that is out of the question.

We used to have 2 tournaments a week (covid) and depending on how strong the north east wind is, someone could open the front door and balls would move on the table in the middle of a game or tournament. We really can't even play during hurricanes or Nor'Easters.

There is also a drip from the A/C vent above one of the tables that drops on the felt.

Next to the other table used to be a step. The owner made it into a small ramp so if your're on the left side of the table, one foot is about 10" higher than the other.

The room is kind of cramped so sometimes your stick gets bumped mid stroke by a passer by.

If you put a dollar in the juke box and the owner's wife doesn't like the song, sometimes she will just turn it off and you don't get your money back.

I don't have a problem with any of this as I just feel lucky to live where I live and can ride my bike to the bar with my wife and enjoy good food, cold beer and game I've played since I was very young.

One guy did have a problem with the juke box issue one evening and said he was never coming back and I will tell you exactly what the owner told him...

This is not an airport, you don't need to announce your departure.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The pool hall does not really have any in house leagues. I do play there when they are open and when I am not sleeping and match there hours. They only have 7 rental tables that are first come first serve. 3 of them are 9 footers.

Do you work second or third shift?

Is the equipment at this real pool hall much better than the bars?

I can't recall if you want to make friends or play good pool from your prior posts.

Bar pool league has got to be the worst way to play pool. From time on table standpoint, to equipment standpoint, to level of play standpoint, etc.

Is there no one to ever play at the pool hall? Do they have a weekly $5 entry tournament you can enter? If not, can you start one?

Are you anywhere near Shane? Can you take a trip to his town and play in the local room in his town?

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well if it is, they have a $12 tourney every Saturday, or maybe every other Saturday. And in October, they are hosting a Shane vs Earl race to 15 exhibition. I found this out after 3 minutes on their FB page.

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Kinda like this place. Seems uninviting. This place doesn't even allow you to bring in your own food. :angry:

View attachment 558571

Bob <-- where have all the 24-hour pool halls gone?

I just ask for cups of water and then wash down the powdered milk i sneak in. Holds me down til i can get to a grocery store dumpster after.

Last edited:

jaime_lion

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Do you work second or third shift?

Is the equipment at this real pool hall much better than the bars?

I can't recall if you want to make friends or play good pool from your prior posts.

Bar pool league has got to be the worst way to play pool. From time on table standpoint, to equipment standpoint, to level of play standpoint, etc.

Is there no one to ever play at the pool hall? Do they have a weekly $5 entry tournament you can enter? If not, can you start one?

Are you anywhere near Shane? Can you take a trip to his town and play in the local room in his town?

I am a professional martial artist I work for the super secret defense initiative or SSDI. I go to bed when I am tired and wake up when I am not. I do not really have a schedule. I am somewhat of a sleeper agent ready to be woken up at any time when the government needs me.

Last edited:

jaime_lion

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well if it is, they have a $12 tourney every Saturday, or maybe every other Saturday. And in October, they are hosting a Shane vs Earl race to 15 exhibition. I found this out after 3 minutes on their FB page.

This is a first I am hearing about this. I might have to try traveling the 238,900 miles and go to this thing.

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
This is a first I am hearing about this. I might have to try traveling the 238,900 miles and go to this thing.

Lol... Be sure to pick the right day of the year and save yourself a few thousand miles.

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
Will this be the “final post” for all the other user names as well, or just this one?

When I used to spend more time here, I could remember the old usernames and play Spot The Troll a lot better than I have been lately. Jamie's posting style reminds me of one from yers ago, that I just can't remember the name of...

Buzzard II

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Get a job. Buy a house. Put a table in the basement. All your freakin' problems are solved.

It worked for me.

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
First you said this:
So this will probably be one of my final posts here. I have finally decided to quit the league I am on. The kind of nail in the coffin for me was the fact that I realized even though it would be rare I am essentially paying twice for one game of pool. Basically I found out that in the league I am in if I or my opponent makes the 8 ball on the break we have to either spot the 8 ball or re-rack.

Do you guys love the game so much that you play even though there are all the issues I have with pool? I am not sure if I love anything that much.

Then you said this:

So I have explained this multiple times. I am not sure if you are not reading what I wrote or just trying to get to me. I have 1 pool hall where I live. they only have 7 rental table. No league plays on those tables. All the leagues play on coin op tables. They do not repeat do not open the tables up. There is nor really an in house league. You either play at bars or you don't play league. APA plays 8 ball win on the break.

My only pool hall is only open at 4 pm and closes at 11 pm most nights.

Then followed up with this:

Depends on the bar but at the ones I have asked nope. Also it is less the money and more the principal. Why should I have to pay for a mistake. If I go to a restaurant and the chef makes a mistake normally they fix it or give me my meal free or both. I do not drink alcohol.

It looks like you said by your own admission you play APA and 8 on the break wins the game, why do you need to retrieve the 8 ball?? The game where the 8 is made on the break is over, time to put your quarters in and start a new game. Are you saying you believe that during league if someone makes the 8 on the break and wins the game but all the other balls are still on the table yet that you should be able to retrieve the 8 and start another game?? If that is the case it sounds like you feel that you are angry that you did not get your money's worth because so many balls are left on the table. Feel free to correct me if I am wrong, just trying to get to the bottom of the actual issue here.

Ghosst

Broom Handle Mafia
Silver Member
First you said this:

Then you said this:

Then followed up with this:

I seem to recall at the start Jaime said they were afraid of being raped outside of a pool hall. In another post there was mention of carrying mace for self-defense. Since reading those posts I have always assumed Jaime was female. Unless you have some kind of PTSD from prison, I don't think it's normal for males to spend a lot of time worrying about being raped.

Perhaps I have led a sheltered life where these things aren't a major concern, or perhaps I'm just not as pretty as Jaime.