do you need to know how to draw the cue ball two table lengths?

judochoke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
is it worth the time and effort to learn how to draw the cue ball long lengths? or is it just a fun way to mess around the table. how often would you need to draw the cue ball back 1.5 table lengths???? im playing on a 7 foot table, so at the most im drawing back maybe 4 or 5 diamonds to get where i want to be. if im at one end of the table, i only have to draw back 4 diamonds to get back to the middle of the table, and from the middle i should be able to figure something out??

saw a video of a guy practicing long draw shots, and its really great to watch. but on his 5 attempt, he launched the cue ball 3 feet in the air??

i have chipped enough tiles on my floor by launching the cue ball already. is this a needed skill, or just for fun?

(i have a hard enough time with a 4/5 diamond draw) just wondering:smile:

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
is it worth the time and effort to learn how to draw the cue ball long lengths? or is it just a fun way to mess around the table....
Power draw is a standard skill that all players have to some extent. I suppose you want your skill at it to roughly match your other present skills. Some players are lucky to draw the cue ball a diamond from two diamonds away from the object ball, and some will draw it two table lengths from six diamonds away.

If you have a good power draw shot, you can play for that position which can simplify a run. If you don't, you have to figure out some other pattern. Sometimes you will be left no choice, and if your draw is weak, you will have to play a safe or settle for a tough next shot or scoop the ball off the table trying for (what is to you) a hero draw shot.

If your opponents' draw shots have made you feel weak and inferior, then maybe it's time to practice them. If you have the best draw of anyone you know, work on other things like your safety play. Strive for balance.

The other thing to consider is that if you can sometime draw two table lengths, a single length will be very comfortable for you. Extend your comfort zone.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I had one cue I could draw two lengths of the table...ball in the jaws, whitey six inches off
the other end rail....it was Joey Spaeth’s old Szamboti...that arrow had as much to do
with the shot as the Indian shooting it.
...did I ever need to do that in a money game?....No...but if you can draw that far, then
if you have to do a more normal power shot under heat, it’s that much more feasible.

I looked at golf the same way....some of the old-timers told me the old saw....
..”Drive for show, putt for dough.”....but I felt if I’m hitting an 8-iron for my second shot..
...and my opponent is hitting a 5-iron, he probably can’t beat me.

I had one snooker cue that could outdraw all my other ones....that’s the one I gambled with.

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
Absolutely, it will make all the shorter draw shots more accurate and easier.

Anybody saying no.....is wrong.

Ever notice guys warming up hitting balls twice as hard as they would normally? There's a reason they do that.

us820

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
To OP ,why would you not want to know?Another tool in the box and you ain’t drawing long without a good stroke.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
I'd say yes, if you are close to the object ball, even though having to do so will almost never come up.

Learning to maximize your draw will enable you to draw six or seven feet on a long straight shot, which is something you'll need from time to time.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
fingers left over

I could hit a draw shot full break speed if I needed to. All around mouths would drop in awe! In ten years of near nightly gambling I'm pretty sure I could count on the fingers of one hand and have some left over when counting the times a monster draw shot was the best option playing for cash. With a full palate of tools it would be very unusual to need to draw the cue ball more than three-quarter table.

I have more fun loading up inside these days. People are so used to watching the cue ball run around the table that they wonder what happens when it stops dead just off the first rail it hits.

A big draw shot with control is nice. Big draws with no real idea where they are stopping, not so much so.

Hu

Johnny Rosato

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've seen a bunch of folks here in Birmingham draw the ball long distance. Yep, I've surely seen that! lol

Boxcar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Golf was my main game. We used to say, "I don't care how far you can hit it, I care how close you can hit it."

When I practice draw, I set up the cue ball about two diamonds from the object ball and draw the CB one diamond five times, then 2 diamonds five times, then three diamonds five times, and so on. If I need draw to get to my next shot, that practice drill helps me get fairly close.

evergruven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
bob really came through with a fabulous reply
(I know, what else is new)

personally
I'd rather know, than not know
how to do just about anything
re: pool, if my fundamentals are solid
I'm gonna screw around and have fun

shoot, I'm gonna screw around and have fun, anyway:thumbup:

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have been playing pool almost 70 years

I saw Mike Massey play me with one hand giving me the 7 ball

I saw him draw the ball 2 table lengths in an exhibition,
but I never saw any body else come amywhere near drawing the ball
that far in competition

I would think this is a trick shot

I am talking about the cue ball traveling 6 feet or more before hitting the object ball to start with

I have seen plent of people about mid table draw the ball up table and bach down

My simple answer is no

and i would be surprised if any of us az players could do it

Z-Nole

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Power draw is a standard skill that all players have to some extent. I suppose you want your skill at it to roughly match your other present skills. Some players are lucky to draw the cue ball a diamond from two diamonds away from the object ball, and some will draw it two table lengths from six diamonds away.

If you have a good power draw shot, you can play for that position which can simplify a run. If you don't, you have to figure out some other pattern. Sometimes you will be left no choice, and if your draw is weak, you will have to play a safe or settle for a tough next shot or scoop the ball off the table trying for (what is to you) a hero draw shot.

If your opponents' draw shots have made you feel weak and inferior, then maybe it's time to practice them. If you have the best draw of anyone you know, work on other things like your safety play. Strive for balance.

The other thing to consider is that if you can sometime draw two table lengths, a single length will be very comfortable for you. Extend your comfort zone.

You can’t answer any better than this. Except to add because it’s fun. I don’t get to spin the ball around too much playing one hole so i like to let her rip when I play nine ball.

alphadog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You can’t answer any better than this. Except to add because it’s fun. I don’t get to spin the ball around too much playing one hole so i like to let her rip when I play nine ball.

One of the first time I played 1 pkt , I shot a ball from beside the stack and drew 3 rails back to in front of my opponents pocket. A older gambler looked at the guy I was playing and said " Looks like you got a 9ball player".

I play quite a bit of barbox 8 ball, power draw shots there are only 12 to 14 feet. You hit some challengers with 1 of those and you have either lost your pigeon or have a guy about to launch whitey trying to prove he can do that too:thumbup:

There is a reason road players say dont draw your rock over 6 inches!

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Alphadog based on your insight into this specific thread,I am going
to bar you from any action

I don't mind being out shot,but when the other guy is smarter too
then i duck out of fear and claim it was respect

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
draw for show, follow for dough!

One of the first time I played 1 pkt , I shot a ball from beside the stack and drew 3 rails back to in front of my opponents pocket. A older gambler looked at the guy I was playing and said " Looks like you got a 9ball player".

I play quite a bit of barbox 8 ball, power draw shots there are only 12 to 14 feet. You hit some challengers with 1 of those and you have either lost your pigeon or have a guy about to launch whitey trying to prove he can do that too:thumbup:

There is a reason road players say dont draw your rock over 6 inches!

When on a bar box the old saying was draw for show, follow for dough. It was said on the big tables too, not so much. The reasons were simple, bar box cue balls. When all balls are the same, draw and follow are of near equal difficulty. However, when playing with a heavy cue ball, and particularly a big heavy cue ball, things change in a hurry. If you could draw the old mud ball over half a table people sat up and took notice! On the other hand following three rails with it was kinda ho-hum. That eight hundred pound gorilla of a mud ball wanted to follow.

Most hated the mud ball. Those that understood it and learned to work with it loved it. I never had better cue ball control than when playing with the huge mud ball. That huge ball plowed through the smaller ball like a bowling ball through ten pins!

Hu

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
is it worth the time and effort to learn how to draw the cue ball long lengths? or is it just a fun way to mess around the table. how often would you need to draw the cue ball back 1.5 table lengths???? im playing on a 7 foot table, so at the most im drawing back maybe 4 or 5 diamonds to get where i want to be. if im at one end of the table, i only have to draw back 4 diamonds to get back to the middle of the table, and from the middle i should be able to figure something out??

saw a video of a guy practicing long draw shots, and its really great to watch. but on his 5 attempt, he launched the cue ball 3 feet in the air??

i have chipped enough tiles on my floor by launching the cue ball already. is this a needed skill, or just for fun?

(i have a hard enough time with a 4/5 diamond draw) just wondering:smile:
Don't really need it but chicks dig it. ;)

Boxcar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Being able to draw a ball two table lengths is kinda like having a 15 inch pecker. It's a good thing to brag about and it's fun to show to your buddies, but you don't get to use it much and it's a nuisance at the swimming pool.