Does "stiff shaft/soft tip" make any sense?

bdorman

Dead money
Silver Member
I'm still relatively new to the game (especially about anything that has to do with gear), so please excuse me if this is an absurd question.

Does it make any sense to use the combination of a stiff shaft (OBPro) with a soft tip?

I've noticed that I like a soft hit (OB2 shaft with UltraSkin Soft tip). Or, it might be more accurate to say that I don't like cues that "ping" and feel like I've hit the CB with a steel rod. But I don't know how much of that "ping" is because of the shaft or because of the tip.

I've got an urge to experiment and experience new things. Does an OBPro with an UltraSkin Pro Soft tip make any sense? Or, is it defeating the purpose of the stiff shaft and throwing the balance of the entire galaxy out of whack?

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
If you can't feel the difference, then its fine. If you're not able to adjust, then that combination doesn't work for you.

qbilder

slower than snails
Silver Member
Makes total sense. You want the point & shoot accuracy & soft stroke power without having to deal with the hammer feel of a hard tip. Nothing wrong with that at all. No different than having a flexy, long tapered shaft but wanting it to feel hard. It has been my experience that tips themselves contribute more to feel than they do actual performance.

While no doubt some tips perform better than others, I relate them more to car tires in way that they are the only thing to actually contact the medium, which in cues it's the ball rather than a road. Just as soft tires offer a softer ride & hard tires offer a bumpier ride, same with tips. The shaft is more akin to suspension, and largely dictates playability performance. A stiff suspension is fitting for handling lots of power & high speed. A lighter suspension is more for a Lincoln luxury sedan where you want to cruise comfortably. No different with stiff shafts vs. flexy shafts. In your case, you want the power & speed of a Corvette but with Cadillac tires so you don't feel every pebble in the road. Makes sense to me.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
I'm still relatively new to the game (especially about anything that has to do with gear), so please excuse me if this is an absurd question.

Does it make any sense to use the combination of a stiff shaft (OBPro) with a soft tip?

I've noticed that I like a soft hit (OB2 shaft with UltraSkin Soft tip). Or, it might be more accurate to say that I don't like cues that "ping" and feel like I've hit the CB with a steel rod. But I don't know how much of that "ping" is because of the shaft or because of the tip.

I've got an urge to experiment and experience new things. Does an OBPro with an UltraSkin Pro Soft tip make any sense? Or, is it defeating the purpose of the stiff shaft and throwing the balance of the entire galaxy out of whack?
A stiff shaft increases power transfer to the CB; a soft tip decreases power transfer to the CB. So for power transfer purposes, they work against each other.

But power transfer isn't the only thing. Shaft stiffness and tip hardness are also important parts of the "feel" of your cue, and they may affect that in different ways. So for feel purposes they may or may not be compatible.

pj
chgo

Last edited:

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
There is nothing wrong with wanting to soften up the sound and feel of a stiff shaft. People have put soft Elk Master tips on super stiff bar cues for several decades.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There is nothing wrong with wanting to soften up the sound and feel of a stiff shaft. People have put soft Elk Master tips on super stiff bar cues for several decades.

I agree with this.

I kind of think it is funny that a lot of people spend enormous amounts of cash on custom and production cues and then say their cue hits "so good" it feels like a "full splice bar cue".

I worked in a pool hall for many years in my younger days and have played all over the world and I've seen some SERIOUS pool played with "bar cues" and the MAJORITY of the bar cues were stiff and had Elk Master tips. Almost all the "hustlers" that came through played with the SAME bar cues.

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I prefer to play with pool shafts that are 12.75 mm and weigh at least 3.8 ozs or heavier with flat faced wood joints and flat faced ivory joints using big pins and Kamui Clear Black tips in soft hardness.......it's nirvana.....I've never played with a better combination........and my cue butts are made to weigh 14.5 ozs...if you want a cue that plays amazing, find one that has these specs and find out for yourself.......go light if you wanna play right.......slowly but surely I am persuading my pool buddies to play with lighter cues weighing well under under 19 ozs. instead of mid 19's.

Matt B.

Last edited:

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member

I've always used soft tips (Elk Master or Blue Diamond) & never liked the feel of the older Meucci shafts with the long taper that were whippy & vibrated.

I picked up an OB Classic with a Kamui Super Soft tip & really like it after a took a few layers off as it was initially TOO soft.

I since picked up two OB Pro shafts. I have a Kamui Med. on one & a G2 soft on the other. I actually 'love' both & use them for different games for different reasons.

I grew up with & learned with European conical shaft cues. They tend to be more stiff than pro taper shafts. I really like the combination of a stiff shaft with a soft tip.

It's a personal thing. You should find what works best for your style of play & that will probably come to be what also feels best to you,

Good Luck with Your Decisions,
Rick

qbilder

slower than snails
Silver Member
I prefer to play with pool shafts that are 12.75 mm and weigh at least 3.8 ozs or heavier with flat faced wood joints and flat faced ivory joints using big pins and Kamui Clear Black tips in soft hardness.......it's nirvana.....I've never played with a better combination........and my cue butts are made to weigh 14.5 ozs...if you want a cue that plays amazing, find one that has these specs and find out for yourself.......go light if you wanna play right.......slowly but surely I am persuading my pool buddies to play with lighter cues weighing well under under 19 ozs. instead of mid 19's.

Matt B.

While I have zero doubt that these specs may be great for you, I would not agree that they are great for everybody. Cue weight can significantly affect how you play, and is very individual. For instance, a guy with rather shaky hands & jerky muscle response may not be able to handle a light cue. A heavier cue will keep his shaking under control, plus buffer his jerky tendencies. I imagine that with your preference of such a light cue, you likely have a rather smooth & fluid stroke, and I would guess it's a shorter stroke. Perhaps I'm totally wrong, but that's what I have seen most often with guys who like light cues.

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When I was young I played with a stiff shaft and hard tip
Now that I'm older I play with a whippy shaft and soft tip.

bdorman

Dead money
Silver Member
Many thanks to all who replied. You've helped me rid myself of money that was burning a hole in my pocket :D

Now I need to decide whether to purchase just the shaft or get the whole shabang, shaft and butt. Really like the OB129. Gotta be wrapless. I like the idea of having an extra cue and saying to a friend "Here, try this..." but they're such klutzes I'd probably regret it. :angry:

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
qbuilder is absolutely right. Every p;layer has to find a cue that works best for them....18 ozs or 20 ounces.......phenolic joint or piloted steel........12.3 mm shafts or 13.2mm shafts........none of this matters to anyone except the individual ordering or looking for a pool cue to buy. One man's poison.....etc......so play with whatever fancies one's heart but if you haven't tried the previously mentioned cue specs and don't suffer from any physical maladies or ailments, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised with your cue ball speed control and the cue's feedback with different shots.......just my opinion but a growing number of my pals are starting to rethink their cues specs and two guys have just changed their new cue orders underway. Hey, it's not for everyone but if you haven't tried this combination, do yourself a favor and find out firsthand.......don't go buy a cue but see if you can find one to try......Heck, if you're ever in Fresno, look me up.....I got 4 cues you can test hit and confirm for yourself.

Matt B.

Last edited:

naji

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

One day i bought a Cuetec Graphite Pool Cue Stick from Sears mainly to check its deflection, oh boy, it has at lease 3-4" deflection; i tried to break 9 ball with it, man it was really solid hard efficient break. Try it if you do not like it, Sears will take it back no question asked! Good luck. About $40-$50 cue..

Tramp Steamer

One Pocket enthusiast.
Silver Member
Many thanks to all who replied. You've helped me rid myself of money that was burning a hole in my pocket :D

Whenever you need to rid yourself of some cash, my friend, please remember the plight of the poor merchant seamen out there who haven't got a pot to piss in, or a window to throw it out of.
We here at Steamer Cue Sports Lt., have set up a small trust solely for the purpose of assisting these men who have given so much, but have gotten so little. Give generously, and feel free to use my address. :)

mortuarymike-nv

mortuarymike-nv
Silver Member
Shafts

Now I need to decide whether to purchase just the shaft or get the whole shabang, shaft and butt. Really like the OB129. Gotta be wrapless. I like the idea of having an extra cue and saying to a friend "Here, try this..." but they're such klutzes I'd probably regret it. :angry:

To each there own, The whole laminate LD shaft thing didn't work for me.

The stiffest shafts I have ever seen on a pool cue was the Cue Tec SST shaft.

It would of been a better harpoon, But in the hands of a pro like Earl S or Allison Fisher everyone thought they had to have one..

It Is the shooter, NOT THE SHAFT.

I have seen more LD shafts fall apart or break then all the solid maple shafts that come in for repairs....

Nick B

This is gonna hurt
Silver Member
I'll dumb it down. It's like work boots with gel insoles. They each have different functions.

Nick

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member

Not on a pool cue, but....:wink:. Johnnyt