Don Sherman of Sureman Cues Has Passed

skins

Likes to draw
Silver Member
Don lived for cues. He knew his stuff. I'm sure that kept him up many nights but I'm sure he loved every minute regardless. Those who had the pleasure of talking with him on a regular basis realized his knowledge and his funny wit. His passing is a huge loss to the pool community. I'm sure he's looking down with a huge grin. Condolences to his wife and family. RIP Don 🙏

Dak21st

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
R.I.P I will surely miss our conversations. Condolences to his family.

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
I'm sorry to hear this news. I looked forward to seeing him at Super Billiards Expo. My condolences to him and his family.

heresy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sad news indeed. I didn't know Don well, but had some past transactions with him. He was always pleasant and seemed to be a really good guy. Sincerest condolences to his family and friends.

mattb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sorry to hear about this. I enjoyed seeing and talking to him every year at Derby City. Did a few deals with him and he was always a gentleman.

I remember being in his booth 1 year and he did some wheeling and dealing to get a cue back he had sold some years prior. He was tickled like a kid in a candy store about his acquisition. He literally had a twinkle in his eye over it. It didn't matter that the cue was gone again by the end of the week in another deal but I am sure he was on the hunt for something else. I think he enjoyed the hunt for special cues more than anything.

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I remember one year at the derby I saw him and he as usual had a pile of great cues. I did a few deals with him, we both did well. Was a great guy to do biz with and honorable.

Anyways at the derby he told me about a “big Gus” he had on consignment, he got it out from under the table. It wasn’t being displayed. As it’s a narrow market and a big target. All normal for big cues.

A month or 2 previous I was at Barry’s house and he was kind enough to show me some very subtle things on Gus’s to authenticate them. As some of us might recall they were being counterfeited a good bit after Gus passed. I wanted to learn about that-and Barry was kind enough to share some things with me.

Anyways fast forward back to Don, he took out the “big Gus” and proudly show it to me. There were a couple other 4pt 4 veneer Gus’s as well. I looked at the big one last. Don was leaving me alone as he had someone walk up and was talking to them, a few guys who were kinda new to cues-I could tell by the conversation.

Anyways when I looked at the big Gus wow about 3 glaring things popped out at me and it just wasn’t right. Not a chance it was a real Gus. So I waited as Don was deep into it with his customers. I could see Don had a bad cue and while I’m not the cue police-I was Don’s friend and didn’t want to see him get caught up selling a bad cue for around $30K. So I waited.

When he was done he asked me what I thought, I told him that the cue was bad. I showed him why, I showed him the differences between the real ones he had and the bad one. He looked so sad, he was very proud to have a big Gus, but it wasn’t a Gus.

He could see clearly the differences and he put it away, as he was honorable. And of course his reputation. The back story was he didn’t know the guy who consigned it very well. I didn’t ask who it was. Don was a stand up guy-that’s my point of telling this story.

That cue was returned to who ever owned it, I don’t think the owner knew he had a bad cue to be honest. Don was disappointed but thanked me.

Last couple days I been thinking and I can’t recall the last time I spoke to him, been a few years. Not forever but maybe 4 years ago.

Don was honorable, loved cues, and will be missed by all of us who knew him. He had earned my respect long before the big Gus story above. I just wanted to tell a Don story and that’s the one that came to mind first. He did the right thing. That’s how I remember him.

🙏🏼Fatboy

cuesblues

cue accumulator
Silver Member
Sorry to hear about this. I enjoyed seeing and talking to him every year at Derby City. Did a few deals with him and he was always a gentleman.

I remember being in his booth 1 year and he did some wheeling and dealing to get a cue back he had sold some years prior. He was tickled like a kid in a candy store about his acquisition. He literally had a twinkle in his eye over it. It didn't matter that the cue was gone again by the end of the week in another deal but I am sure he was on the hunt for something else. I think he enjoyed the hunt for special cues more than anything.
That is so Don Sherman, channeled quite nicely
Thank you for that, classic Don Sherman
I had to post about it

Peace
Ted

vinniebabarooch

Wanna Sell Your Hercek?
Gold Member
Silver Member
Very sad news.
Don was a friend that I always looked forward to seeing. He was a big reason that I love collecting cues. He was a fair man that would make you laugh a lot. He LOVED pool cues and the people that collected them. His passion would show as he sometimes traveled the country looking for that special cue or to sell one that he already had.
The cue shows will never be the same without him.
Actually, collecting cues won’t quite be the same either.
I’m going to miss him dearly.
Rest In Peace my friend.

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member
I enjoyed Don very much and his enthusiasm for cues never waivered. He certainly possessed a lot of cue knowledge and was a very funny guy.

I will miss him at SBX and on the phone.

My condolences to his family and friends.

RIP "Sureman"

best,
brian kc

pooldawg8

My Pride and Joy
Gold Member
Silver Member
I met Don quite a few years back at SBE show. He had quite a few cues FS whenever I was at his booth through the years.
Guys like Don are gonna be sadly missed in the cue industry. RIP sir

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I haven’t been on this site for the past week and so I am blown away to read about Don’s passing.
He was a person you were pleased to meet and proud to claim as a friend or just an acquaintance.

I can’t recall anything but praise, admiration & fondness expressed about Don & he deserved it too.
Anyone that knew Don is fortunate to have known a man that was very highly regarded by his peers

Matt B.