Dragon World 14.1 Tournament, is still the World 14.1 Championships

JCIN

TheActionReport.com
Gold Member
With respect to you too Mike, my original post says it all really.

Just because the WPA (who took no leadership in reviving 14.1 except to sanction a great and true world championship) and a few followers (at least some who agree with them for the moment) don't want it to be the world 14.1 Championships, it still is, and history will judge it as so.

It is basically the same event that the WPA did sanction for the last 5 years, barring a few strong players as my friend Stu Mattana pointed out (they lost out by not playing, and actually Niels Feijen tried to get there but the hurricane prevented it) yet filled with many more of the strongest players.

Perhaps it was not the perfect event (who does promote the perfect event), yet I'm sure you and all rational non politically leaning people on here would agree the same about most past world 14.1 events, including ones that barred the great black players (James Evans and Cicero Murphy) from playing etc...

Historians of the future whose judgement is not clouded by their political leanings of the day will indeed see this years DP event as yet another legitimate World 14.1 Championship, and even more so than many past world 14.1 championships.

So all I'm really highlighting is that we may as well all admit and subscribe to the truth today, instead of waiting for a future date.

All my Best,

Max Eberle

Why does someone who disagrees with you have to do so because of politics? Why cant it just be because you are wrong?

cleary

Honestly, I'm a liar.
Silver Member
Max, if someone wanted to prove a point and had the money to do so... they too could have a "world 14.1 championship" before the year is out. That's the point. Without a WPA sanction, its not fair to call it a world championship because anyone could promote one and the value of being a world champion goes down.

That said, that doesn't mean you shouldn't play in the event. Was a great event and you played well. Congrats on being slightly better than me. :)

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
With respect to you too Mike, my original post says it all really.

Just because the WPA (who took no leadership in reviving 14.1 except to sanction a great and true world championship) and a few followers (at least some who agree with them for the moment) don't want it to be the world 14.1 Championships, it still is, and history will judge it as so.

It is basically the same event that the WPA did sanction for the last 5 years, barring a few strong players as my friend Stu Mattana pointed out (they lost out by not playing, and actually Niels Feijen tried to get there but the hurricane prevented it) yet filled with many more of the strongest players.

Perhaps it was not the perfect event (who does promote the perfect event), yet I'm sure you and all rational non politically leaning people on here would agree the same about most past world 14.1 events, including ones that barred the great black players (James Evans and Cicero Murphy) from playing etc...

Historians of the future whose judgement is not clouded by their political leanings of the day will indeed see this years DP event as yet another legitimate World 14.1 Championship, and even more so than many past world 14.1 championships.

So all I'm really highlighting is that we may as well all admit and subscribe to the truth today, instead of waiting for a future date.

All my Best,

Max Eberle

If you want history to remember it then start lobbying the BCA to include the title in their record book. The BCA's book is North America's reference work for billiards titles.

Otherwise it will simply just be a topic for debate once in a while.

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
Max, if someone wanted to prove a point and had the money to do so... they too could have a "world 14.1 championship" before the year is out. That's the point. Without a WPA sanction, its not fair to call it a world championship because anyone could promote one and the value of being a world champion goes down.

That said, that doesn't mean you shouldn't play in the event. Was a great event and you played well. Congrats on being slightly better than me. :)

Actually the point is that you don't need money to prove the point. Just hold a tournament of any size and title it the World 14.1 Straight Pool Championship.

Max's point is also valid. You have the same tournament that was previously sanctioned as the World 14.1 Championship now NOT sanctioned but people should consider it the defacto World Championships.

I agree. It is the defacto World Championships in the ABSENCE of any WPA event. But since it's not a WPA sanctioned even then it doesn't get the winner listed in the record books along with all the other WPA World Champions.

So claim the title but don't be upset when the sanctioning body refuses to recognize it.

maxeberle

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Why does someone who disagrees with you have to do so because of politics? Why cant it just be because you are wrong?

Someone who disagrees with me does not have to do so because of politics, but that does not discount the possibility that it could be true. Recognizing subtext in dialog is one of my strong suits, and I am knowledgeable of the politics in this thread, to a certain degree.

Is there something that you believe I'm wrong about?

maxeberle

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Well Andrew, I guess we'll see what happens with the rest of the year for those who want to see the WPA bestow a "World 14.1 Championship" to another promoter's (as of yet illusory) world-class 14.1 event (The Maryland 14.1 and European 14.1 not included). If a bigger event, with even more world class players, more money, and with WPA sanctioning goes off this year, then maybe there will be something to actually debate. Barring that, the pool fans and record books have a World 14.1 Championship (with Champion Hohmann and Runner-up Davis) in the bag to discuss for decades to come in the 2011 DP World 14.1 Tournament.

LOL, thanks man, I guess thousands of hours and decades of practice paid off in me edging you out just a bit on the pool table...thank God! :)

Hey btw, great graphics work and T-Shirt line. ...perhaps you can make a sub-line of SPOT Clothing directed to a few multi-million dollar billiards related companies? "You're A NIT" and "Reach into Your Wallet and Grab some HEART" in relation to them not making much (substantial) at all happen for professional pool for the last 50 years? Nah, that sounds way too cynical, right?

That is not directed at any company in particular but it begs the question, if pool really is an industry, where the crud did and does all that "industry" mooola actually go? I'm just sayin... although only hypothetical, it would be a funny sub-line to your cool brand.

It will be interesting to see how far China takes pool. You can figure their industry is raking in the money... so will the pro side of the sport one day reflect that over there? We'll see...

Thanks, I feel that I played well overall and had a good time.

Keep up the good work.

maxeberle

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Actually the point is that you don't need money to prove the point. Just hold a tournament of any size and title it the World 14.1 Straight Pool Championship.

Max's point is also valid. You have the same tournament that was previously sanctioned as the World 14.1 Championship now NOT sanctioned but people should consider it the defacto World Championships.

I agree. It is the defacto World Championships in the ABSENCE of any WPA event. But since it's not a WPA sanctioned even then it doesn't get the winner listed in the record books along with all the other WPA World Champions.

So claim the title but don't be upset when the sanctioning body refuses to recognize it.

Not bad. So it does not have WPA next to it... the event still happened.

maxeberle

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you want history to remember it then start lobbying the BCA to include the title in their record book. The BCA's book is North America's reference work for billiards titles.

Otherwise it will simply just be a topic for debate once in a while.

Yeah John, that probably needs to be done at some point.... that is already happening here, if anyone at the BCA is paying attention.

Probably only half of their board will even be interested in that discussion as the BCA is partly made up of furniture sales people (people who don't see pool as a sport or even care about the sport and who have no interest in the huge marketing possibilities that lie in the sporting direction, and only see a pool table as just a table to sell) ...hopefully the future is brighter for United States pool and the BCA.

If I'm wrong about a percentage of people at the BCA, then someone please speak up and correct me!

Actually guys like Shane Tyree at the BCA are doing a great job to steer them onto a correct course. I'm sure others at the BCA are working hard to doing a great job as well.

Like you John, all I can do is continue to practice and compete hard, and be creative and hard working in my projects... and enjoy life too in the process!

Dan Harriman

One of the best in 14.1
Silver Member
Lou,

Just so you know (and the other that are interested),

CSI has been granted use of the name: US OPEN STRAIGHT POOL CHAMPIONSHIP.

We hope to see if we can have the first event in 2013.

It will probably be in Las Vegas which (unfortunately) does not have all of the great 14.1 players the East Coast is blessed with - but we are going to try and make it work.

Mark Griffin

I will be there and looking forward to this tournament unless it's an invitational. I concur with the WPA in that Charlie's last Straight Pool event was not and is not a true World Championship. This is my opinion and I am not affiliated with any group of political puppets.

Last edited:

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
Yeah John, that probably needs to be done at some point.... that is already happening here, if anyone at the BCA is paying attention.

Probably only half of their board will even be interested in that discussion as the BCA is partly made up of furniture sales people (people who don't see pool as a sport or even care about the sport and who have no interest in the huge marketing possibilities that lie in the sporting direction, and only see a pool table as just a table to sell) ...hopefully the future is brighter for United States pool and the BCA.

If I'm wrong about a percentage of people at the BCA, then someone please speak up and correct me!

Actually guys like Shane Tyree at the BCA are doing a great job to steer them onto a correct course. I'm sure others at the BCA are working hard to doing a great job as well.

Like you John, all I can do is continue to practice and compete hard, and be creative and hard working in my projects... and enjoy life too in the process!

My best guess after looking at the current board members and its directors that this is the best group we've had in a LONG time to get involved with our sport. I think Max, at this point in time it would be a good thing to keep trying to bring em into the fold and utilize this current situation as a tool to make it what it should be, is trying to be and do it 'for the sport'', and no one individual. CW is a front man, but having the business expertise that's within the BCA board is what's needed to make it what it could and should be. In looking at the past...we know how that most often plays out in our world when events are held by pool players, they just can't ''do it all'', and usually don't do it the right way.

Last edited: