Dream cue

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
Lets say you could have a top old school builder (think Szam, Searing, Showman) build a cue with a Gus Szamboti blank. Would you have a player(think hoppe 4 point 4 veneer), or a fancy( propeller, peacock, silver, heavily inlayed etc.) What would you have built? What if you could have 2 cues built?
Thanks for your answers
Jason

snowmon34

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Lets say you could have a top old school builder (think Szam, Searing, Showman) build a cue with a Gus Szamboti blank. Would you have a player(think hoppe 4 point 4 veneer), or a fancy( propeller, peacock, silver, heavily inlayed etc.) What would you have built? What if you could have 2 cues built?
Thanks for your answers
Jason

Great question..
Hmm....Dream cue
I'd leave the cue design up to Bill Stroud...

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I feel you should always go with the biggest design you can afford......even if it means only 1 cue vs. getting 2 cues.

The cue-maker one would likely select wouldn't be making a large number of cues annually. So with such a small production, I'd want my cue to be one that would be recalled......
remembered as one of the cue-maker's nicest designs........and remember only your opinion counts, not what others may say about the design you'd want......Nuf Ced!

Matt B.

Tramp Steamer

One Pocket enthusiast.
Silver Member
My choice would be a Davis blank finished by Andy Gilbert. Old school style with ivory diamonds set in ebony points (perhaps rosewood) with matching butt. Light green and white pressed linen wrap. Bushka rings throughout. Predator shaft with an original Moori medium tip.
Second choice would be a Schon made by Schon. :smile:

skins

Likes to draw
Silver Member
With the first Gus blank I would have Barry make me a loaded cue and with the second, Pete Tascarela make a specially designed Bushka style cue using whatever original George materials he had or I could find.

Lesh

One Hole Thinkifier
Silver Member
Solid 4-Point old-school with 4 veneers, but a linen joint w/ a 3/8x10 Piloted joint with the pilot cut straight out of the shaft. Hoppe ring and nothing else. Shaft rings would be linen as well with Juma ferrules and a southwest taper profile - 2 shafts , 1 at 12.5mm and the other at 13mm, Ultra skin Mediums on both.

I would get as many of these as I could.

::::mic-drop walk-off:::

Lesh

Shooter08

Runde Aficianado
Gold Member
Silver Member
One, searing that Dennis built for himself, 2 Runde that impressed himself.

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In today's world I would love to see what Toney (black boar ) could come up with using a full splice no wrap blank , might have to mortgage a house to afford it lol few newer guys I would love to see is Mobley , Tredway and Travis Niklich (black creek ) to see what they could do

Last edited:

pooldawg8

My Pride and Joy
Gold Member
Silver Member
I`d have Pete Tascarella build a 4 point 4 veneer, wrapless hoppe, Full Spliced
''Old School'' style cue for me. 2nd cue would be the same, only have Dennis Searing build it.
You did say ''Dream Cue'' so I`m dreaming BIG

Last edited:

merylane

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In today's world I would love to see what Toney (black boar ) could come up with using a full splice no wrap blank , might have to mortgage a house to afford it lol few newer guys I would love to see is Mobley , Tredway and Travis Niklich (black creek ) to see what they could do

I'm not sure how you put Mobley in that group... He's been building cues longer than them two put together.

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
I'm not sure how you put Mobley in that group... He's been building cues longer than them two put together.

Nice to see you John! Hear that you may be getting a little more busy with cue building?

Btw, NOBODY builds a better old school cue than you NOBODY BAR NONE!!!

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
rhontz914.....you truly have exquisite taste in pool cue designs......I admire your design preferences.

Matt B.

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
hoppe 4 point 4 veneer)
Thanks for your answers
Jason

Bumperless and there it is. If I could have 2 it would one in ebony w/BEM, and same design in Purpleheart. White/green speck wraps on both.
Would not be Searing only because I'll be pushing up daisies by the time it's done. Gus would be fine. I'd ask my wife to pay for it and duck.
At my stage of life I'd like a Doc Frye Ebony with stainless steels rings. Simple & beautiful. I always loved that cue. The cue would be for Old Times Sake. Just to renew the memories.

Last edited:

Ken_4fun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you had Showman build it would be perfect.

It would truly be a "dream cue" as he never delivers the cues that are ordered.:eek:

Showman belongs to same group as Eddie Wheat, Tony Zinzola and several other "cuemakers". He is far from a premier cuemaker.

Ken

Last edited:

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
If you had Showman build it would be perfect.

It would truly be a "dream cue" as he never delivers the cues that are ordered.:eek:

Showman belongs to same group as Eddie Wheat and several other "cuemakers". He is far from a premier cuemaker.

Ken

You sir have no idea what a cuebuilder is. Bash the mans timetable but to say he isnt a premier cuebuilder IS the stupidest thing ever posted on AZ. You knew you would get this response, so there it is
Jason