DRESS CODES - in general

sfleinen

14.1 & One Pocket Addict
Gold Member
Silver Member
You said you don't need athletic shoes because it's an indoor game. I simply proved that wrong. That's all.

I get that you simply will not understand. You don't want to understand or possibly you're not able. That's ok... you don't have to. You wear Rockports and LL Bean shoes with a suit so I've got a pretty good idea of your speed...

Ah, I see. Clocking someone's speed just based on what they prefer to wear. Ok, got it. The same could be said about "gotta express myself, dammit!"

bdorman

Dead money
Silver Member
You don't want to understand or possibly you're not able. That's ok... you don't have to. You wear Rockports and LL Bean shoes with a suit so I've got a pretty good idea of your speed...

Ahh, the good old way-to-win-an-internet-argument: insults. :rolleyes:

I'll bet he plays a production cue with an Elkmaster tip. That's the real measure of his speed. :D

cleary

Honestly, I'm a liar.
Silver Member

I'll bet he plays a production cue with an Elkmaster tip. That's the real measure of his speed. :D

Who said it was an insult? Rockports with a suit are pretty fashion foward.
#josabank
#buy1get7free
#livingthedream

LucasBilliards

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here's another take on why pool needs to change the dress codes. I think that everyone would agree that the key to pool growing is getting the youth involved. Do you really think young people see a guy walking around a pool table in a shirt and tie, in a quiet, boring environment, really make them want to pursue pool? Because I don't. The dress codes in pool are created by old people therefore it caters to how old people think you should dress. Is there anyone under 35 that really wants to wear a suit to play a sport, because I certainly don't. Times are changing and people don't walk around in suits everywhere anymore. Because it's uncomfortable. If you want pool to grow and become popular among young people, the boring dress and environment of the past has to change. The fact is pool is played seriously by older people and unless we get younger people interested, pool will die right along with the old people playing it. Make it more inviting, make it more comfortable, and pool would be better off for it.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
should dress the part

Read a few pages the other day, just the last few posts today. Players in a decent sized event that is going to get a little coverage or be on TV need to be dressed in an appropriate manner. That doesn't mean putting whipped cream on a hot dog but a decent polo shirt and decent looking pants or shorts isn't too much to expect. Shoes should be appropriate and in good condition.

f you are hoping to be a professional it isn't too much to ask to try to promote the sport as a profession. I never had an interest in playing pool as a profession, I recognized there was no profession to have for more than a very few in the world and I didn't like my odds. I did hope to break into professional circle track racing in my early twenties. I dressed appropriately, talked appropriately, and dealt with the fans in a professional manner. I needed a well heeled sponsor and I wasn't going to get one looking like a bum or acting like one.

Back to pool, the players not only need sponsors the sport does too. Behaving like we would be an asset to a sponsor is the first step. The people putting on events do have to put a dress code in place or people will be playing in inappropriate clothing. I do believe in their absolute right to do so. Their party, their rules. I do hate when my neat new blue jeans won't fly though. I'm happiest in a T-shirt but wearing a soft collared shirt isn't fatal to my game.

Hu

mikeyfrost

Socially Aware
Silver Member
The clothes and shoes def make a difference. I can't stand formal attire on players, you need loose flexible vented clothing and comfortable sneakers to perform at your maximum

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Sadly, it appears to be his best move when he doesn't have a sneaker to stand on.

Lou Figueroa

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The clothes and shoes def make a difference. I can't stand formal attire on players, you need loose flexible vented clothing and comfortable sneakers to perform at your maximum

lol, maybe you do but for years now I've watched all the top guys play in events that have a dress code. They all seem to do fine. No ACL injuries, ripped Achilles tendons, sprained ankles, or shin splints. Not even any pro ripping off their leather shoes mid-match screaming in agony.

Even the guys with the vests on are raining 100s and seem to be doing OK.

Need loose flexible vented clothing and comfortable sneakers to perform at your maximum... I don't think so.

Lou Figueroa

Attachments

• Unknown.jpeg
    Unknown.jpeg
    8.1 KB · Views: 146
Last edited:

bdorman

Dead money
Silver Member
Andrew, I apologize for the snarky comments...morning coffee hadn't kicked in yet.

But I think an important point is being overlooked: the rest of the world (where pool is on the upswing, not the downhill) is "dressing up." Nice clothes are a point of pride and professionalism to them. If we want U.S. pool to be taken seriously around the world, we have to meet their standards.

Personally, it takes a wedding, funeral or business meeting to get me into anything more than shorts and a tee shirt. :grin:

NitPicker

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dress codes are just a front for class/social warfare. The clothes have never made the man (or woman). Funny how now roles are reversed. Yes, internationally the game is bigger than in the US...and it's no coincidence that their economies are on the upswing, along with a growing middleclass, in those developing nations just like it once was here in the US. But now everything here is on the decline, and while I can appreciate "dressing the part" or "dress for the job you want, not the job you have", etc., the casual attire people predominantly wear is a mere symptom of much larger issues in our society...not the cause. Dress up a bunch of slimes and put them all in a room, and all you have is a room full of well dressed slimeballs...much like our officialdom, who present themselves in expensive, fancy dress, but who are no more gentlemen or lady like than a downtrodden from the streets. The reason I say roles are reversed...because we once used this same façade as a way to keep talented poor, foreign players from ruining the day of those well to do's. The vendors...play into this as well. You think a vendor that sells everyday priced wares such as chalk is concerned about casual attire? Hell no. Only vendors that sell items to those exclusive in a certain income bracket...i.e. $10K cues and $50K tables.

cleary

Honestly, I'm a liar.
Silver Member
lol, maybe you do but for years now I've watched all the top guys play in events that have a dress code. They all seem to do fine. No ACL injuries, ripped Achilles tendons, sprained ankles, or shin splints. Not even any pro ripping off their leather shoes mid-match screaming in agony.

I doubt there will be any injuries but there will be at sore feet. Oh, and they'll look like they just got off their valet job. Maybe they did...

restaurant-valet-parking.jpg

Wedge

WO Wedge Lock
Silver Member
Justin Bergman

Watching the Jim Rempe 14.1 HOF cerimony and dinnet on AZB TV. Almost all the players have either vests or suits on or at least dress shirts. Justin is wearing a hoodie...WTF... Another classy candidate for the Mosconi Cup Team!

Wedge

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I doubt there will be any injuries but there will be at sore feet. Oh, and they'll look like they just got off their valet job. Maybe they did...

restaurant-valet-parking.jpg

You can cherry pick all the photos you want off the internet.

Doesn't help your argument with anyone with half a brain.

Lou Figueroa

Attachments

• images.jpeg
    images.jpeg
    6.8 KB · Views: 234

i8ap4t

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In my country, cue sport events require you to be dressed with a vest and bowtie.

Why would you advicate reducing the formality of the sport? I thought you Americans were trying to get away from the whole 'gamblers in a dark smokey room' thing, and head more towards to a professional setting like golf like you keep mentioning. This would bring in more sponsership and more players wouldn't it? But wait, you are more comfortable playing in your basketball shorts with a fag in one hand, and a drink in the other right? And isn't that more important?

It's about the quality of the event as a whole, and having everyone well dressed seems to provide more to the atmosphere, and manner of the event. (In my personal experience anyway)

Also, a $10 red vest from wall-mart will make anyone look like a valet.
Why don't you stop being a fashionless loser, and spend $40 on a fitted vest that matches your pants?
Dressing up doesn't mean dressing like a servent.

derekdisco

We woulda won state!
Silver Member
Watching the Jim Rempe 14.1 HOF cerimony and dinnet on AZB TV. Almost all the players have either vests or suits on or at least dress shirts. Justin is wearing a hoodie...WTF... Another classy candidate for the Mosconi Cup Team!

Wedge

So after making this post, you thought it was worthy of a thread. Looks like you're a 14.1 fan, you don't happen to have some sort of ill will towards him for steamrolling his group do you? With him being a young kid and never playing the game before and all.

Hungarian

C'mon, man!
Silver Member
I agree it makes sense to adopt the Pro-Golf dress code for pool, with one caveat, the clothes must be tattered and out dated.

nobcitypool

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If the big deal is about shots, why not wear a pair of Ecco or Memphis to shoes? Dressy and more comfortable with better arch support than any sneaker I'm aware of.