Eagle Eye Takes Aim at 14.1 High Runs

JazzyJeff87

AzB Plutonium Member
Silver Member
That’s what I’m wondering. It was said he’s playing again tonight and twice I’ve seen people comment something like “all this pocket bs and jaysons running balls” - In general or right now? I don’t see it on the page though

Shuddy

Diamond Dave’s babysitter
Silver Member
We've seen several thousand balls shot into pockets in just three weeks, by several players.
Yet. no one can discern what constitutes a run stopper, prior to the run stopping, nor what
a shooter must accomplish to continue a run, prior to playing position for the 15th ball in a rack.
Please attempt to explain for your audience.
Whoah whoah whoah !! Is this Mr DH?? This thread is going to the moon!!!

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Talking about this event with a world class player he noted one thing. It crossed my mind as well-to be clear I’m the worst 14.1 player to post in this thread. But from years of playing pool at a reasonable standard I’ve learned lots.

The champion told me that the pockets are a give & take thing on this box. Sure they are nice when you need to cheat the pocket or hit a ball a little off and the pocket takes the ball that’s where they help.

But where they can hurt is if you need to double out of the corner with the CB and because the pocket is so big there’s no rails there to double out with-it’s a scratch. That crossed my mind as well from 1P, sometimes that extra 0.25” of rail on each side or total gives you the ability to double out of the corner and put the CB or in 1P the OB in to the center of the table.

He was clear there’s a bit of a trade off.

I understand that there will be higher runs, but the ability to double out is compromised a bit.

Fatboy<——decided to start talking about the pockets lol

realkingcobra

Silver Member
lmao, I have talked with the folks at Diamond and others have as well -- I guess you'd be surprised to learn what they actually think of you, Mr. Glenn Hancock aka realkingcobra Mr. Yum! Brand.

Lou Figueroa
😅🤣😂yeah, OK, what ever you say, I've been working with them for 22 years, how long have you?

realkingcobra

Silver Member
I think we sleep fine -- you have zero impact, Glenn Hancock aka reakkingcobra Mr. Yum! Brand.

Lou Figueroa
Lou, grow some balls, put them in the corner pocket, slide them all the way back in the throat of the pocket and show the pocket size that way if you can't read a tape measure reading on how wide the throat is. Its not hard to do, just gotta have some balls to do it😅🤣

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Talking about this event with a world class player he noted one thing. It crossed my mind as well-to be clear I’m the worst 14.1 player to post in this thread. But from years of playing pool at a reasonable standard I’ve learned lots.

The champion told me that the pockets are a give & take thing on this box. Sure they are nice when you need to cheat the pocket or hit a ball a little off and the pocket takes the ball that’s where they help.

But where they can hurt is if you need to double out of the corner with the CB and because the pocket is so big there’s no rails there to double out with-it’s a scratch. That crossed my mind as well from 1P, sometimes that extra 0.25” of rail on each side or total gives you the ability to double out of the corner and put the CB or in 1P the OB in to the center of the table.

I understand that there will be higher runs, but the ability to double out is compromised a bit.

I run into that same problem on Olhausen tables- not enough rail sometimes, due to their FU pocket cut, to do what one should normally be able to do to get that CB out of the corner rails and back into position for the next shot- frustrating as hell!

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
I find all this bickering over the table specs to be unnecessary. The pocket sizes were measured and disclosed prior to the beginning of this event. This table falls within BCA recommended table specifications and offers a legitimate test of 14.1 skills. It's easy to see how it's playing by watching a few racks.

Did anyone hear them mention what the pocket facing angles were during the just-completed Arizona event? Of course not, because no-one ever does that during any event.

Those who feel they need to know the pocket facing angles to be able to put the runs made in a proper perspective are, in my opinion, blowing unnecessary smoke here. Sit back and enjoy this great event, which is a private event to which you've all been invited to view on stream for free.

Bobby and Lou, keep up the good work.
Of course you're right, Stu. This event has been wonderful for pool fans, and the players too.

But surely you can acknowledge the irony here on this forum, with all the defensiveness about the table specs...while not that long ago the table JS made his run was accused of having "big" pockets, shaved slate, heaters and God only knows what else. I think most folks here are finding amusement in the scenario, and the irony.

And those same "most of us" are extremely grateful for the event and the stream (before we get accused of being "ungrateful"). This has been awesome to watch.

The irony, tho...thats pretty amusing.

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Tom Ferry said he saw the table Mosconi ran 526 on and the most amazing thing was he didn't scratch.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
The pocket sizes were measured and disclosed prior to the beginning of this event. This table falls within BCA recommended table specifications and offers a legitimate test of 14.1 skills.

[/QUOTE]Did anyone hear them mention what the pocket facing angles were during the just-completed Arizona event? Of course not, because no-one ever does that during any event.
[/QUOTE]
The only measurement of the pockets given was the width of the pocket opening, and was called a stock pocket, thats a lie.

And of course no one give the pocket dimensions when tables are being supplied for a tournament because they're the stock pocket openings for those manufactured tables, and it wouldn't be worth the time or effort to alter all the pockets to make them accept balls a lot easier!

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Like I said, I don't care what the pocket openings are, what bothers me is the need or reason to lie about them being "stock" and within "BCA SPECS" when they're clearly not, so why HIDE the fact that they're made to accept balls a lot easier, what's the reason behind calling them something they're clearly not!? Look, if they want a gaff table in order to give the players the best chance there is to break JS high run record, who cares, it is what it is, just be honest about what was done to this table and the reasons why, that's all.

JusticeNJ

Four Points/Steel Joints
Silver Member
Like I said, I don't care what the pocket openings are, what bothers me is the need or reason to lie about them being "stock" and within "BCA SPECS" when they're clearly not, so why HIDE the fact that they're made to accept balls a lot easier, what's the reason behind calling them something they're clearly not!? Look, if they want a gaff table in order to give the players the best chance there is to break JS high run record, who cares, it is what it is, just be honest about what was done to this table and the reasons why, that's all.
Are you sure it isn’t that there’s something profoundly wrong with you that causes you to argue about literally everything

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Did anyone hear them mention what the pocket facing angles were during the just-completed Arizona event? Of course not, because no-one ever does that during any event.
[/QUOTE]
The only measurement of the pockets given was the width of the pocket opening, and was called a stock pocket, thats a lie.

And of course no one give the pocket dimensions when tables are being supplied for a tournament because they're the stock pocket openings for those manufactured tables, and it wouldn't be worth the time or effort to alter all the pockets to make them accept balls a lot easier!
[/QUOTE]

Of course, I defer to your superior knowledge of the subject. My view is that we not to stop sweating this matter. Time to sit back and enjoy the show.