Earl imploding in the World Pool Masrers

Get_A_Grip

Truth Will Set You Free
Silver Member
Jordan didn't trash talk, he insulted folks. He brought up folks sisters and mothers. That is NOT the norm. Plus, show me on this video where Earl was trash talking anyone during the match ? Oh, that's right, it didn't happen, it was after the match. I'm thinking the etiquette is not to bang strippers while on the road with the team, or gamble 100's of thousands of dollars, and get involved with some malcontents. Yep, doing thing his way, didn't hurt him or the sponsors one bit. John McEnroe, was there not etiquette in tennis? Hmmmm, that' weird, I thought there was. LOL

Oh, proper etiquette was Jordan should NOT argue with officials, team mates, coaches, etc. Or John McEnroe, etc. But, yes, Earl said some hurtful words after a match and the entire pool world melted. Holy shit.
Earl never trash talks? Berating his opponent because he plays too slow...come on....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGAelTyyBt0

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
Earl never trash talks? Berating his opponent because he plays too slow...come on....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGAelTyyBt0

and where in the world did I say Earl NEVER trashed talk. Oh, that's right, never did I say such a thing. Trying reading the entire post, this is not NPR. lol

Heck, I was with him the entire weekend when he played Archer in Lincoln. He gave JA an earful, but JA is a pro and didn't even bother him. He ran 100 like it was water all the while Earl was whining.

Heck, I've had worse "sharks" in league... big whoop. Ive yet to read someone say they lost because of Earl though....

It's what he does, just like McEnroe, but like the bad boy of all major sports. But, Earl has to be the "pro" when he works for peanuts. Give me a break. McEnroe made MILLIONS and he didn't shut up, and the media LOVED him... they still do.

In baseball they 'll trash talk you with a 99 mph fast ball at your head. But, stop the presses, Earl went on a tangent. LOL one guys talks, another one throws a projectile that could end your career. Yup, seems reasonable.

highkarate

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jordan didn't trash talk, he insulted folks. He brought up folks sisters and mothers. That is NOT the norm. Plus, show me on this video where Earl was trash talking anyone during the match ? Oh, that's right, it didn't happen, it was after the match. I'm thinking the etiquette is not to bang strippers while on the road with the team, or gamble 100's of thousands of dollars, and get involved with some malcontents. Yep, doing thing his way, didn't hurt him or the sponsors one bit. John McEnroe, was there not etiquette in tennis? Hmmmm, that' weird, I thought there was. LOL

Oh, proper etiquette was Jordan should NOT argue with officials, team mates, coaches, etc. Or John McEnroe, etc. But, yes, Earl said some hurtful words after a match and the entire pool world melted. Holy shit.

What is your point here? Are you saying that Earl should be treated like MJ, or that pool is somehow like basketball? Yeah, Michael Jordan did all those things you described but people/sponsors either just didn't care or were willing to overlook that because he was the greatest of all time at an exciting, wildly popular and hugely profitable international sport. Comparatively, nobody gives 2 shits about pool and a lot of people, including myself, get annoyed watching Earl act like a 6 year old when everyone around him is trying to be professional. It's not even like I hate the guy or anything, it's just embarrassing to watch. Like, you could tell Kaci and the announcer were visibly embarrassed for him.

Last edited:

Get_A_Grip

Truth Will Set You Free
Silver Member
and where in the world did I say Earl NEVER trashed talk. Oh, that's right, never did I say such a thing. Trying reading the entire post, this is not NPR. lol

Heck, I was with him the entire weekend when he played Archer in Lincoln. He gave JA an earful, but JA is a pro and didn't even bother him. He ran 100 like it was water all the while Earl was whining.

Heck, I've had worse "sharks" in league... big whoop. Ive yet to read someone say they lost because of Earl though....

It's what he does, just like McEnroe, but like the bad boy of all major sports. But, Earl has to be the "pro" when he works for peanuts. Give me a break. McEnroe made MILLIONS and he didn't shut up, and the media LOVED him... they still do.

In baseball they 'll trash talk you with a 99 mph fast ball at your head. But, stop the presses, Earl went on a tangent. LOL one guys talks, another one throws a projectile that could end your career. Yup, seems reasonable.
I can't tell if you're defending Earl or not to be honest.

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
What is your point here? Are you saying that Earl should be treated like MJ, or that pool is somehow like basketball? Yeah, Michael Jordan did all those things you described but people/sponsors either just didn't care or were willing to overlook that because he was the greatest of all time at an exciting, wildly popular and hugely profitable international sport. Comparatively, nobody gives 2 shits about pool and a lot of people, including myself, get annoyed watching Earl act like a 6 year old when everyone around him is trying to be professional.

Then don't watch. Pretty simple.

Yes, because we all know how "professional" and "honest" and packed with integrity pool players are. I mean, their history in the last 100 years is just outstanding, is it not? LOL Just more hypocrisy from pool players. I'm use to it, I grew up in a pool room. Earl is the least of pool's problems, and that's a fact, and it's not in dispute.

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Jordan did all that stuff, and that's basketball, not pool. Apples to Oranges.

Yeah, funny, he got fired around the time he stopped winning. But, for years, they had no problem putting money in his pocket while he was doing the same stuff. lol

Isn't that what sponsors do, drop people when they start losing?

And where did anyone say THIS match is the reason people think of Earl like they do? I thought he was very mild in the match and the interview was not an issue at all.

But he has a history of being a sore loser, trying so shark people, blame others for losing, etc. It's childish and doesn't belong in this sport.

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
I can't tell if you're defending Earl or not to be honest.

I'm just pointing out the hypocrisy of it all. Earl, a HOF player, who was the best 9ball player on the planet gets treated like dirt by rail birds. First, they intentionally want to set him off at a tourney. And to be fair, Earl can go off without their involvement as well.

I'm just tired of him being singled out when the sports world, you know, the ones on TV, that folks pay hundreds of dollars to go see and the guys sign contracts over $400M dollars, can do the same shit and nobody blinks an eye.

And then act like pool is so sophisticated and full of integrity. I don't care if folks don't like Earl, fine by me. But, to act like his antics are a big deal is just plain silly.
If Earl was playing a major sport, nobody would care, nobody. No rapes, no selling meth, no bank robberies, no assaults, hell, he's all bark with no bite, and folks can't fade that action.

I've been watching Earl for 30 years. He antics would not bother me in the least if I was playing against him. And I suspect they really don't bother pro players, they know what to expect, and if they don't, oh well. Folks knew what they were getting from Jordan too. The officials knew what they were getting from Jordan, and the coaches knew after the game what they were getting from Jordan. It was his team, and he did whatever he wanted, when he wanted. I'm not saying that is good or bad, just what it was.

RunoutJJ

Professional Banger
Silver Member
A little late to the party aren't you?! :rolleyes:

Nah I've been watching earl for over 20 years but this is just nuts. I mean I've seen him be an ass but this one took the Cupid doll!!! I'm pretty sure matchroom won't be having him back. Ratings or not.

Loved it when he said this is the problem with pool!! I don't know about you but I would love to play on matchroom events!! Ridiculous

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
Jordan did all that stuff, and that's basketball, not pool. Apples to Oranges.

Sports is sports. Jordan is a hero and Earl is the devil. Yea, sorry, i'm not buying it.

Isn't that what sponsors do, drop people when they start losing?

Yes, exactly, they drop you when you start losing, I agree. They didn't drop him because of his antics. See the difference?

And where did anyone say THIS match is the reason people think of Earl like they do? I thought he was very mild in the match and the interview was not an issue at all.

But he has a history of being a sore loser, trying so shark people, blame others for losing, etc. It's childish and doesn't belong in this sport.

yeah, big deal. Most sports star do. Just amazing how much folks can fall apart over Earls antics but they watch NFL, MLB and the NBA... I mean, if Earl causes folks to tremble, the NBA must make folks shit their pants :) lol

Earl puts fans in the seats, Earl put money in the pocket of Cuetek, Earl was a big draw at tourneys. Earl was the best player of the world for many years. He's a HOF player and folks still whine about him constantly. We all know he has some sort of a condition of top of that. Actually, almost a third of the population has some form of psychiatric disorder; depression, anxiety, substance abuse, autism, ADHD, learning disabilities, etc.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
The guy was confused and didn't know what to do because he was napping? Why would he take the 5 out of the pocket and place it on the table? What rule/situation would allow him to do that? And btw, you did not say that he pocketed the 5 ball but I assume he did. Why did he do that, even confused?

I am just a casual player and not rule savvy, there must be some rule that would allow an opponent to place a pocketed ball back on the table in the spot it was? Sorry for ignorance.

Sorry, I got this part wrong. Earl made the five and scratched. He was shooting the five ball and not the four. I cleaned up my post #17. Thanks!

Last edited:

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you are comparing Michael Jordan trash-talking with Earl's trash-talking then you are comparing a huge case of apples to oranges.

In the NBA almost EVERY player on the court trash talks each other. Even the players (and sometimes coaches) on the bench get involved.

In pool the proper etiquette is to sit in your chair and STFU when your opponent is at the table. In fact, the fans ought to keep their pie-holes shut too.

Find a better comparison.

Maniac (and for crying out loud could he at least be professional enough to be considerate to his opponents and afterwards not look for so many excuses why he lost?)

RJ has been making the same tired argument for years.

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
RJ has been making the same tired argument for years.

And it's still accurate. You all have been whining for years without a good counter argument against it. Oh, wait, there was an argument put up, same ones as always.;

1. This is pool, and we have etiquette. LOL
2. Earl is why sponsors won't come. double LOL
3. This is why pool will never go anywhere.
4. Earl is why pool is not on TV

blah, blah, blah. lol

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
And it's still accurate. You all have been whining for years without a good counter argument against it. Oh, wait, there was an argument put up, same ones as always.;

blah, blah, blah. lol

Except it’s not accurate because pool isn’t other sports.

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
Life

Yah get what yah play for in life. Nothing more. When your young, and you set sail, you MUST also set a course. I think Earl never did, as do many great pool players, they live for the moment. Like a cat an mouse.

I had my first glimpse of this young man 1979-80, when he passed thru So. Cal. with Monroe Brock and another, looking for action and I gave em some. Saw him at different events after that....saw him on TV, also in TX when he did the ten pack at CJ's for a mil.. I've seen him away from the table. I remember when he was married, and had a 27 room rental complex I think in the Carolina's, and he was is in punch and Flu$h. I've hung out with em in the car, in Spring Hill FL outside Capones in 06 and talked life. We always give eye contact. When he goes off, it makes me sad....and his opposite reaction makes me a turn coat :).

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Earl puts fans in the seats, Earl put money in the pocket of Cuetek, Earl was a big draw at tourneys. Earl was the best player of the world for many years. He's a HOF player and folks still whine about him constantly. We all know he has some sort of a condition of top of that. Actually, almost a third of the population has some form of psychiatric disorder; depression, anxiety, substance abuse, autism, ADHD, learning disabilities, etc.

Let's try this: trash talking is done "in the normal course of business" in basketball. Basketball is not a game where the spectators sit quietly, it's not a game where you, as the competitor, are not sitting there trying to focus on a million different things at once (except the free throw - that's different, I don't see trash talking during that time). Pool, on the other hand, is a sport that takes less physical work and more mental work and trash talking is just unacceptable and is not done "in the normal course of business" in pool. Earl acts like a child and is a sore loser and MOST IMPORTANTLY he is disrespectful to the game. And if he does have a psychiatric disorder then he needs to address it or not come to the tournaments, if not then then the tournaments should reconsider inviting him.

And I didn't say Cuetec dropped him because of his antics, I have no idea why they dropped him but if I were a sponsor and my guy started losing AND acting like Earl, then yeah, I might drop him as well.

You also mentioned the NFL and MLB. The NFL and MLB are just like basketball, a bunch of guys on the field using their physical abilities trying to score more points than them. Apples and Oranges.

If Earl didn't act like an ass then more people would respect him. I 100% respect him for who he WAS, but not for who he IS.

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I agree with #1 only.

blah, blah, blah. lol

Agreed. Pool is in line with golf, chess, etc. It's a mental game and a certain amount of crowd etiquette should be followed.

Except it’s not accurate because pool isn’t other sports.

And just for fun - I have zero respect for Minnesota Fats and all the respect in the world for Mosconi.

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
I agree with #1 only.

Agreed. Pool is in line with golf, chess, etc. It's a mental game and a certain amount of crowd etiquette should be followed.

And just for fun - I have zero respect for Minnesota Fats and all the respect in the world for Mosconi.

What's ironic about your Fat man comment. Away from the table, in real life, I think Rudolph or Crane or Balsis, even Lassiter would of been more fun to be around as a person. But I never knew Willie but his actions spoke Ego to me as a kid, tho I did know Fats pretty good and even hung with em him at Stoners place one yr in N. Cal.

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What's ironic about your Fat man comment. Away from the table, in real life, I think Rudolph or Crane or Balsis, even Lassiter would of been more fun to be around as a person. But I never knew Willie but his actions spoke Ego to me as a kid, tho I did know Fats pretty good and even hung with em him at Stoners place one yr in N. Cal.

I can see Fats being a good guy away from the table but you're only as good as your weakest point :)

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When Earl was the undisputed best he didn't have all the tape/weights/tennis racket grip. I have to wonder what would happen if he got rid of all that stuff and returned to a standard pool cue. I also wonder if he has had his eyes checked.

58 isn't that old for a pool player. The biggest change is the eyes. Earl reminds me of a line from a poem.

Do not go gently into that long night. Rage against the darkness.

Reactions: KRJ