Earl is a disgrace!

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
Perspectives change by the minute

I doubt it, not on this forum. :shakehead:

Perspectives change by the minute on this forum, it's all about information, and "lack of".....however, this is one that changes the whole equation........substantially.

I'm sure it will "leak out" before long.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Perspectives change by the minute on this forum, it's all about information, and "lack of".....however, this is one that changes the whole equation........substantially.

I'm sure it will "leak out" before long.

I think there'd have to be a divine intervention for anyone on this forum to like Earl, but I hope you are right. :angel:

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
Basically, I told her their backstories and she was fascinated.

I think there'd have to be a divine intervention for anyone on this forum to like Earl, but I hope you are right. :angel:

There are thousands of people "on this forum" that like Earl. You know as much as I that the most vocal are usually the most negative.

To get the true perspective of Earl's popularity it's better to use Face Book as a gauge.

Here's a letter off Face Book about one fan's experience with his Mother watching Earl:

I've watched the televised MC airings.....which only show 2 matches over the course of a 2-hour time slot on FOX Sports2. So, I haven't seen every single match. And I wasn't riding the rail to hear every chirp and chatter that actually took place on-site.
But, for all the people bashing Earl's conduct and some temper/ emotion from Hatch/Rodney......well, I can tell you this.....

.....my Mom was around. She doesn't care anything about pool. Never plays. She knows I love it, of course.

But, as I'm watching it, Earl goes on his typical tirade, of which I'm still shocked that many players can't fade. He's been doing it for years. It's HIS personality/demons/passion, whatever you want to call it. But, no one that has ever followed pool should expect anything different from him.

Anyway, my Mom saw Earl go off. You know what happened next? She sits down AND WATCHES THE MATCH.

She watched it because Earl was on full-tilt. She watched it because I explained that his partner was Shane.....and I told her of his hearing issues and the fact that he was bullied as a child and it's pushed him to crush everyone in his wake. How he works harder at the game than any of the other current pro's.

When the match was over, she asked who was next. I can't remember who it was, but I didn't have much backstory to give and said it would be a quiet, more "professional-looking" set.

She said....."Oh. Well, can we watch something else then?"

That completely confirmed to me that the masses want to see conflict and characters with a backstory.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There are thousands of people "on this forum" that like Earl. You know as much as I that the most vocal are usually the most negative.

To get the true perspective of Earl's popularity it's better to use Face Book as a gauge.

Here's a letter off Face Book about one fan's experience with his Mother watching Earl:

I've watched the televised MC airings.....which only show 2 matches over the course of a 2-hour time slot on FOX Sports2. So, I haven't seen every single match. And I wasn't riding the rail to hear every chirp and chatter that actually took place on-site.
But, for all the people bashing Earl's conduct and some temper/ emotion from Hatch/Rodney......well, I can tell you this.....

.....my Mom was around. She doesn't care anything about pool. Never plays. She knows I love it, of course.

But, as I'm watching it, Earl goes on his typical tirade, of which I'm still shocked that many players can't fade. He's been doing it for years. It's HIS personality/demons/passion, whatever you want to call it. But, no one that has ever followed pool should expect anything different from him.

Anyway, my Mom saw Earl go off. You know what happened next? She sits down AND WATCHES THE MATCH.

She watched it because Earl was on full-tilt. She watched it because I explained that his partner was Shane.....and I told her of his hearing issues and the fact that he was bullied as a child and it's pushed him to crush everyone in his wake. How he works harder at the game than any of the other current pro's.

When the match was over, she asked who was next. I can't remember who it was, but I didn't have much backstory to give and said it would be a quiet, more "professional-looking" set.

She said....."Oh. Well, can we watch something else then?"

That completely confirmed to me that the masses want to see conflict and characters with a backstory.

Well, I agree with you. It's called EMOTION. Mainstream America who doesn't understand pocket billiards do understand EMOTION.

When Tanya Harding cracked Nancy Kerrigan's knee, ice skating as a sport received a huge boom in popularity.

I'm not saying violence needs to happen, and I also agree that the behavior at the table by some of this year's Team USA members was not professional.

Me personally, if I had my choice to watch Earl Strickland or one of those emotionless robotic pool players from [fill in the blank], I'll choose Early any day of the week.

Pool Shark

Banned
90% of the cry babies on here would have turned a blind eye to earl if team usa would have won. In my opinion the cry babies on here are just as bad as earl, poor sports just looking for a way to blame someone or something.

90% of the cry babies on here would have turned a blind eye to earl if team usa would have won. In my opinion the cry babies on here are just as bad as earl, poor sports just looking for a way to blame someone or something.

Personally, I couldn't really care about who won or lost. I know every player on both teams. Some are my close personal friends.

What I care about is that they make a good accounting for themselves and for the sport. To a man, the Europeans did that. Johnny and Shane didn't play all that well, but they both acted as they should have. Johnny didn't execute his leadership role, IMO. If he accepted that responsibility, he should've done a better job.

Rodney called out Daz to the parking for a fight, after using profanity throughout their match. Dennis used multiple profanities while displaying general disrespect for the fans, spectators, promoters and sponsors. Earl has been beaten to death. All I'll say about him is that he has no business representing America on any stage, let alone the world stage.

Now, here's something you don't know, pool shark. Barry Hearn was embarrassed by the American's behavior this year. We will be lucky if we even get the chance to prove this year was an aberration, in the future.

conetip

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As good a player as Earl is, his behaviour is so bad, I have made a decision not to go see him play. It is just disrespectful to behave like that, and more so at an international level.
How and why the selectors put up with it is beyond me.
I would pay to see the cup matches if Earl was not in it.But I am not going to pay to see someone being a disgrace sport, no matter what the sport.
There is something wrong with the team selection when they have to include people that they know are going to cause controversy, one way or another.

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
The "marketing engine" is constantly churning in professional sports.

Watch olympic coverage... Why do you think they constantly show the back stories of the people who our competing lives? Create an emotional attachment an they're much more likely to tune in and stay tuned in.

Yes, from our research only 2% of the "general public" would watch pool no matter what the game, scenario or prize money....once they knew the background stories that involved gambling, road stories, and adventure those percentages shot up to over 80%.

This is true in all sports, we just don't notice it because we're conditioned to seeing a barrage of sports stories on a daily basis......it's everywhere, in magazines, newspapers, on line, and on TV. The "marketing engine" is constantly churning in professional sports.

Yes, from our research only 2% of the "general public" would watch pool no matter what the game, scenario or prize money....once they knew the background stories that involved gambling, road stories, and adventure those percentages shot up to over 80%.

This is true in all sports, we just don't notice it because we're conditioned to seeing a barrage of sports stories on a daily basis......it's everywhere, in magazines, newspapers, on line, and on TV. The "marketing engine" is constantly churning in professional sports.

I was told something similar to this a few years ago by an ESPN demographics analyst. I don't remember the specific statistics, but, there is NO QUESTION that the public is exponentionally more likely to view something, anything, when they are emotionally invested in the subject matter.

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member

I like Earl, and root for him.

I don't like how he acts, sometimes. When he's not WAY over the line, he is more fun to watch than anyone, to me. Even at the "little nutty" point, I'm good. There has to be a point, however, when bad behavior isn't accepted, no matter how much you like someone.

Doesn't mean I don't like him. I'm perfectly able to separate the two, and make the distinction about what I like and don't like. I expect that there are far more like me here on AZB, than those who truly don't "like" Earl.

I will be rooting for Earl in whatever tournament he enters, even still. And I'll be rooting for him not only to win, but to keep it together the whole time, so everyone can really enjoy how special he is to our sport. I think that's the real disappointment with the Cup issues, that he had a chance to show everyone he not only could still play world class, but he could keep it together and be a part of the world class, and be celebrated. Unfortunately, he let us down, on that part. And that is sad.

PINKLADY

ICNBB
Silver Member
i'm going to skip past all posts since WED, till today's.

Earl was brought in for more than one reason.
and apparently it's working.
we were there, and we know what the Brits say about Earl.
and apparently it worked.

think outside of the box.

TX Poolnut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I like Earl, and root for him.

I don't like how he acts, sometimes. When he's not WAY over the line, he is more fun to watch than anyone, to me. Even at the "little nutty" point, I'm good. There has to be a point, however, when bad behavior isn't accepted, no matter how much you like someone.

Doesn't mean I don't like him. I'm perfectly able to separate the two, and make the distinction about what I like and don't like. I expect that there are far more like me here on AZB, than those who truly don't "like" Earl.

I will be rooting for Earl in whatever tournament he enters, even still. And I'll be rooting for him not only to win, but to keep it together the whole time, so everyone can really enjoy how special he is to our sport. I think that's the real disappointment with the Cup issues, that he had a chance to show everyone he not only could still play world class, but he could keep it together and be a part of the world class, and be celebrated. Unfortunately, he let us down, on that part. And that is sad.

I agree very much.

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Really, what was Jack Nicklaus' background story that everyone was so enamored with, because I can't seem to remember anything other than his incredible playing and great sportsmanship? What about Pete Sampras, and Chris Evert? Was there some kind of controversial story about these players that made everyone flock to watch them perform?

You know what, CJ? I think maybe only jerks enjoy watching jerks act like jerks. You think, maybe?

joelpope

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Really, what was Jack Nicklaus' background story that everyone was so enamored with, because I can't seem to remember anything other than his incredible playing and great sportsmanship? What about Pete Sampras, and Chris Evert? Was there some kind of controversial story about these players that made everyone flock to watch them perform?

You know what, CJ? I think maybe only jerks enjoy watching jerks act like jerks. You think, maybe?
Bingo... I have been biting my tongue on that comment

Earl shows his ass and people like it... Says a lot about them doesn't it

If you had a kid and he acted like Earl did would you be proud? If so, you might just be sporting that "my kid beat up your A student" bumper sticker that indicates a loving, nurturing parent owns the car.

Why not just fondly remember him fouling and cheating in a previous MC and basically saying it is only a foul if you get called on it.

A real solid citizen.

YubaCushion

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I think there'd have to be a divine intervention for anyone on this forum to like Earl, but I hope you are right. :angel:[/QUOTE

I like Earl. I don't need a video .Pool wouldn't be what it is today without him.
To everyone that talks shit about him.

Attachments

• images (10).jpg
    images (10).jpg
    8.5 KB · Views: 148

joelpope

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I think there'd have to be a divine intervention for anyone on this forum to like Earl, but I hope you are right. :angel:[/QUOTE

I like Earl. I don't need a video .Pool wouldn't be what it is today without him.
To everyone that talks shit about him.
Pure class there.... Not sure you are helping your "cause". (Reference his picture of Jesus giving the finger)

YubaCushion

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bingo... I have been biting my tongue on that comment

Earl shows his ass and people like it... Says a lot about them doesn't it

If you had a kid and he acted like Earl did would you be proud? If so, you might just be sporting that "my kid beat up your A student" bumper sticker that indicates a loving, nurturing parent owns the car.

Why not just fondly remember him fouling and cheating in a previous MC and basically saying it is only a foul if you get called on it.

A real solid citizen.

Who makes you so righteous that you can judge other people.
Could you go pheasant hunting with Dick Cheney.
Like you never did anything you were not proud of.