Earl is a disgrace!

jburkm002

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There is a difference between showing passion and cheating/sharking. Don't care if a player breaks his stick or looks pissed off because he missed a shot. That's good for the game. You can even show disrespect for your opponent. You just can't verbally do it during a match. Tiger Woods doesn't tell his opponent he missed a putt that went in. Tiger Woods doesn't say his partner sucked and he had to do everything himself. Tiger Woods doesn't question why he isn't the captain. Tiger Woods doesn't get warned by an official on national tv about his antics. There is the Mosoni Cup and I don't really know why. There will never be a Strickland _______ anything for the legacy he left behind.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There is a difference between showing passion and cheating/sharking. Don't care if a player breaks his stick or looks pissed off because he missed a shot. That's good for the game. You can even show disrespect for your opponent. You just can't verbally do it during a match. Tiger Woods doesn't tell his opponent he missed a putt that went in. Tiger Woods doesn't say his partner sucked and he had to do everything himself. Tiger Woods doesn't question why he isn't the captain. Tiger Woods doesn't get warned by an official on national tv about his antics. There is the Mosoni Cup and I don't really know why. There will never be a Strickland _______ anything for the legacy he left behind.

You really don't know that until Earl is dead, and Tiger Woods doesn't have to live in a pool world with no tour, no organizational support, and a public that despises professional players.

FWIW, Willie wasn't really a peach, either. :D

corvette1340

www.EpawnMarket.com
Silver Member
You really don't know that until Earl is dead, and Tiger Woods doesn't have to live in a pool world with no tour, no organizational support, and a public that despises professional players.

Why do you keep using the term "pro players" in this thread about Earl's behavior and how it was a disgrace? Besides a few folks talking about Dennis and Rodney dropping f bombs and acting unprofessional, the thread is about Earl and his bad behavior and lack of self control. And it is all completely warranted based solely on his ridiculous behavior at the cup. Had he conducted himself with class, there would be no threads about his poor behavior. Nobody has said anything negative about Shane or Johnny's behavior because they acted in a civilized manner.

You also keep saying how it was all roses and good feelings about Earl after his documentary. That's because people do respect Earl's pool genius and genuinely want to like him as a person on and off the pool table. The problem with that is that he finds a way to sway those positive thoughts by immediately acting bat shit crazy at the next possible opportunity. To make it worse, he disrespects his opponents who conducted themselves with complete class. And make no mistake, Earl IS bat shit crazy. He's a missed 9-ball away from going postal.

This whole, "so much hate", "pro player haters", "woe is me" shit is tired and non relevant. If Earl or any of these guys want praise and people to treat them like true professionals then act like a professional.

jburkm002

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not sure what public you are talking about. Internationally pool players are respected. Just don't think most people even know that much about pool or the players. I am not in this category but would like to see pro pool on tv again. For everyone that says Earls actions are because of his passion for pool. Forget that this is a forum about pool. Tread after thread about the future of pool. So when they see what they perceive to be a detriment to that future they show their passion. If Earl and other pros don't care what the public thinks. Then the future looks dim for the pros. We the FANS should be what they care about. Without the FAN there will be no future.

corvette1340

www.EpawnMarket.com
Silver Member
Not sure what public you are talking about. Internationally pool players are respected. Just don't think most people even know that much about pool or the players. I am not in this category but would like to see pro pool on tv again. For everyone that says Earls actions are because of his passion for pool. Forget that this is a forum about pool. Tread after thread about the future of pool. So when they see what they perceive to be a detriment to that future they show their passion. If Earl and other pros don't care what the public thinks. Then the future looks dim for the pros. We the FANS should be what they care about. Without the FAN there will be no future.

Exactly. Spot on.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Why do you keep using the term "pro players" in this thread about Earl's behavior and how it was a disgrace? Besides a few folks talking about Dennis and Rodney dropping f bombs and acting unprofessional, the thread is about Earl and his bad behavior and lack of self control. And it is all completely warranted based solely on his ridiculous behavior at the cup. Had he conducted himself with class, there would be no threads about his poor behavior. Nobody has said anything negative about Shane or Johnny's behavior because they acted in a civilized manner.

You also keep saying how it was all roses and good feelings about Earl after his documentary. That's because people do respect Earl's pool genius and genuinely want to like him as a person on and off the pool table. The problem with that is that he finds a way to sway those positive thoughts by immediately acting bat shit crazy at the next possible opportunity. To make it worse, he disrespects his opponents who conducted themselves with complete class. And make no mistake, Earl IS bat shit crazy. He's a missed 9-ball away from going postal.

This whole, "so much hate", "pro player haters", "woe is me" shit is tired and non relevant. If Earl or any of these guys want praise and people to treat them like true professionals then act like a professional.

What's tired is you tail-gating me on threads I post on. It is okay for you to disagree with my opinions, but I'll say whatever I please about any topic, whether you approve or not. There's not much more that can be said, IMO, about Earl Strickland at this juncture.

Some people just like align themselves with bullies and take potshots for the pure sport of it rather than contribute pool-related content.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I have mixed feelings about fans in the American pool culture, but that's a topic for another thread. Most American pool fans today do not support professional pool. Rather, they are mostly league players, recreational social shooters, and that's fine. This is where pool shines the brightest.

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
Final Comments

I hope Archers boy is ok after this, I wonder where Earls parents are.....

And Mike Tyson is starting to ''get it''....

corvette1340

www.EpawnMarket.com
Silver Member
What's tired is you tail-gating me on threads I post on. It is okay for you to disagree with my opinions, but I'll say whatever I please about any topic, whether you approve or not. There's not much more that can be said, IMO, about Earl Strickland at this juncture.

Some people just like align themselves with bullies and take potshots for the pure sport of it rather than contribute pool-related content.

Lmfao, I posted before you in this thread and then you chimed in 10 posts later. Hi pot, meet kettle.

corvette1340

www.EpawnMarket.com
Silver Member
I did not quote your post, as you did mine, Mr. Pot-and-Kettle. :grin-square:

You're right, when I'm talking directly to someone I quote them. I don't just make a vague post filled with innuendos and hidden messages to be deciphered that are really targeted at someone specific.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You're right, when I'm talking directly to someone I quote them. I don't just make a vague post filled with innuendos and hidden messages to be deciphered that are really targeted at someone specific.

Oh, make no mistake about it. If I am writing about you, in particular, there will be no innuendos or hidden messages -- ever. I think you know me well enough to realize I ain't shy when it comes to communicating with you. :)

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

I know a guy who once played Willie in a exhibition. This guy was the local house pro and he put over a 60 ball run on Willie right from the start. He said when he finally missed that Willie came up and whispered in his ear that he was the one there to put on the exhibition. Then Willie walked over to the table and ran a hundred to win the exhibition. He said Willie's tone was not pleasant, but he did back it up.

If Earl always won, then people would tolerate the antics a little easier.

Reactions: JAM

sonny_burnett

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know a guy who once played Willie in a exhibition. This guy was the local house pro and he put over a 60 ball run on Willie right from the start. He said when he finally missed that Willie came up and whispered in his ear that he was the one there to put on the exhibition. Then Willie walked over to the table and ran a hundred to win the exhibition. He said Willie's tone was not pleasant, but he did back it up.

If Earl always won, then people would tolerate the antics a little easier.

My road partner was in his teens and played Willie in exhibition. He also made a nice run against Mr Mosconi . He also told him quote you can sit down now son. 150 and out.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

ChopStick

Unsane Poster
Silver Member

And Earl doesn't live in the PGA world where he can be fined tens of thousands or banned for life from the profession for doing the things he does.

6.16 Unsportsmanlike Conduct
The normal penalty for unsportsmanlike conduct is the same as for a serious foul, but the referee may impose a penalty depending on his judgment of the conduct. Among other penalties possible are a warning; a standard-foul penalty, which will count as part of a three-foul sequence if applicable; a serious-foul penalty; loss of a rack, set or match; ejection from the competition possibly with forfeiture of all prizes, trophies and standings points. Unsportsmanlike conduct is any intentional behavior that brings disrepute to the sport or which disrupts or changes the game to the extent that it cannot be played fairly. It includes
(a) distracting the opponent;

Simply enforce the existing rules with a zero tolerance policy and that will clean things up overnight. Start calling a foul on these jerks and they will learn better.

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Denver Open, early eighties on Gold Crowns, during Sigels hey day. I'm watching the Pearl play Chewy Rivera, at times one of the Great players outta Denver, and two time BCA 8 Ball singles winner. He's got Earl on the ropes and Earl is seated at the head of table cue in hand. Chewy is at the foot of the table eyeing' a long shot into the upper corner pocket at the head of the table. Earl is in direct line of the shot....as Chewy gets down to pull the trigger, Earl uncorks his cue, intentionally to distract Rivera, it worked. After that it became a Rule Nationwide, it means you conceded the game.

I played him four sets, in Long Beach Cal. late 70's, races to 11 rollout 9 ball, he was passing thru Los Angeles with Monroe Brock and another. Four sets later they left Paramount Billiards on Long Beach Blvd. Adam Brostoski's pool room. Adam is the father of current and beginning owner of Golden West Pool Tables. On Earls way out the door I said to him....if you ever learn to follow your ball you'll be a great player. He never said a negative word, acted like a gentleman. Fast forward to Denver not that many years later, and the uncorking was beginning to bubble out. He never got better with time after that. I look at his mentors....As a father, that speaks loudly, and SCREAMS ever louder these days in his public eye, something even FATS is his eighties would NEVER do he tho took it home, and caused the Evelyn/Rudolph inevitable split. This now may be the fracture of he/with the public, a divorce that will decimate him, we ALL need to tell em, STOP....it may save him, his decline is before us, pretty sad. We have ALLOT of collateral damage in our sport.

You're right about the rule. I was President of the WPBA at that time and I saw what the guys were doing by unscrewing.
I created the rule and had it immediately put into enforcement, and the men followed suit shortly after.