EARL STRICKLAND Returns to TEAM USA

VVP

Registered
Jack Haley was on the Bulls and Spurs rosters solely to tend to Dennis Rodman. You’re right, Team USA should find someone like Haley.
Well, he was playing with a mask at the International so that might be the answer. The mask can cover a muzzle. :D. Mosconi cup is now a joke to me, I would never pay to watch it. This event was supposed to be premier event in which all European and USA strived to play in. What a shame.

penguin

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You got to call this what it is! CHARITY.......

EARL has fallen on tough times in my humble opinion and SVB is his friend!
This has nothing to do with charity.

Anyone who has been around Shane knows how cheap he can be. He didn't get to where he is by being anyone's friend.

This is Matchroom's attempt to boost Mosconi Cup ratings by making Team USA into a bigger trainwreck than it already is.

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member

Anyone who has been around Shane knows how cheap he can be. He didn't get to where he is by being anyone's friend.

This is Matchroom's attempt to boost Mosconi Cup ratings by making Team USA into a bigger trainwreck than it already is.
Yes, taking the 8th highest ranked player in the USA and putting him on a team to beat the Europeans is just plain crazy. Imagine if they would have taken the 9th or 15th ranked players, like Thorpe or Styler, you guys would have crapped in your Corn Flakes ;)

But, truth be told, you would have been happy as a clam had they chosen the 15th ranked player. You would not have whined that others higher on the list should have gotten a chance, right? But, take a higher ranked player that some don't personally like, and suddenly it's "unfair" to every other player that ever ran 3 balls. lol

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
Well, he was playing with a mask at the International so that might be the answer. The mask can cover a muzzle. :D. Mosconi cup is now a joke to me, I would never pay to watch it. This event was supposed to be premier event in which all European and USA strived to play in. What a shame.
Yes, how dare they take a guy with a 775 Fargo rate and put him on a team of pool players. I mean, anyone knows a 775 is like an APA 5, right? Oy vey.

penguin

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes, taking the 8th highest ranked player in the USA and putting him on a team to beat the Europeans is just plain crazy.
That's a good way to cherry pick information when you want to avoid saying it's really just all political.

Mike Dechaine is the #3 ranked player in the USA, with an 801 Fargo rating, yet for some reason he is always excluded from Team USA. :rolleyes:

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I guess the conclusion to be reached here is that in Matchroom’s eyes, the Mosconi Cup is now a Harlem Globetrotters game and USA is the Washington Generals.

I can see the reasoning behind it. Getting the USA fully competitive with Europe would require a massive overhaul of American pool with the fruits of that overhaul not being evident for at least 10 years.

And honestly, I think the MC may be dead before then due to non-competitiveness. Europe gets stronger every year and America seems to get weaker. Once SVB is past his prime, it’s curtains for America. Meanwhile, there will probably be 10 more Joshua Fillers in Europe by then.

Might as well get as much money/interest from the MC while it’s still somewhat viable and relevant. It’s probably not long for this world because it’s heading towards an annual 11-2 thrashing.
If Matchroom is going to dictate who the US captain must pick for the team, this event loses all legitimacy.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
The USA might as well not worry about image with Strickland representing the country.

Would be the equivalent of John Macenroe as spokes person.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
The problem is he is a professional pool player with a lower fargo than a welder from Michigan.
Apparently Earl is in top eight....he certainly is rated higher than some of last year’s picks.
Im still curious why Tyler didn’t get picked.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That's a good way to cherry pick information when you want to avoid saying it's really just all political.

Mike Dechaine is the #3 ranked player in the USA, with an 801 Fargo rating, yet for some reason he is always excluded from Team USA. :rolleyes:

Mike hasn't left his local room for 5 some years now. He's out. Same with Bergman but for the past 1 year. So he's out too. Even though both would be favorites "today" over Earl, both took themselves out of the running by not competing recently. Earl, has never, ever, stopped competing since he started in the 1970's.

penguin

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mike hasn't left his local room for 5 some years now. He's out. Same with Bergman but for the past 1 year. So he's out too. Even though both would be favorites "today" over Earl, both took themselves out of the running by not competing recently. Earl, has never, ever, stopped competing since he started in the 1970's.
And for the 2020 Mosconi Cup, Chris Robinson-Reinhold with a 741 Fargo rating was chosen over Tyler Styer who has a 760 Fargo rating.

I guess Tyler Styer isn't actively competing either.

Tell me again how it isn't political.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
American Pool.

Ha
Ha
Ha

How about everyone also chip in to promote another movie that glorifies drunks and violence and cons in the Pool community?

Folks wonder why parents don’t want their kids in the Pool Hall.

Strickland is a pathetic germ of a human being. He should have been kicked out the door descades ago.
Like others have mentioned, if you met Earl without a cue in his hand, you might like him...

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Today a few hours ago, SVB sweating Earl. Don’t look like they hate each other, SVB respects Earl. And other way around. They don’t need to be “friends” to get the best out of each other. Actually friends would be worse-respect is key here.

Attachments

• 131CF6FB-B936-4D51-A738-EB9D5DDF0FE4.jpeg
    131CF6FB-B936-4D51-A738-EB9D5DDF0FE4.jpeg
    227.2 KB · Views: 101
Last edited:

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Problem is Mike is a problem in a team event.

No respect
Not on team

Politics working for once.

Best
Fatboy😀

PS: how often do I ever knock anyone? Usually I don’t say anything but in this case it’s so bad I’ll speak my mind, having said that, Mike is a amazing pool player-his game it top notch, but he’s never going to be part of a winning team. If he did and I missed it-I’m wrong, but overall Mike is bad for a team event. Period.

BTW Mike lived at my mansion in Vegas for 4-6 weeks. I was there at 2012 Mcup with CJ as captain. I’m not a armchair guy guessing here-Fatboy was there, lived it, saw it. I made $ with Mike gambling. Sad ending to what could have been a great story

Last edited:

penguin

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
BTW Mike lived at my mansion in Vegas for 4-6 weeks. I was there at 2012 Mcup with CJ as captain. I’m not a armchair guy guessing here-Fatboy was there, lived it, saw it. I made $ with Mike gambling. Sad ending to what could have been a great story
Mike's professional pool career ended the moment he outed Shane on Facebook for being with an underage girl.

But Shane is the USA's number 1 player, so we're not supposed to talk about things like that.

And don't pat yourself on the back too hard for being around professional pool players. Anyone with a free place for them to stay and some $$$ to stake them can do the same.

Many of us have "lived it" as well and know all about the sort of things that don't get posted on the internet.

PoolPlayer4

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Oh, give it a rest. Earl gives lessons and has a website to sell stuff. He's no worse off than many Americans in the Biden economy. lol

Sure, that's what this about, giving someone a break to make money, I guess, all the other "rich" former pool players don't get a taste, huh? lol

Even if it was true, of course, you're one of the biggest liberals I know, and now suddenly, you are against hand outs. Dude, stop, you're killing me. lol
Bro, appreciate your input. But, how about you follow the rules and drop the political commentary? Please?

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Apparently Earl is in top eight....he certainly is rated higher than some of last year’s picks.
Im still curious why Tyler didn’t get picked.

so is MD. both of them would be included if the cup was only singles, but it's a team event.

some people write stuff like earl has an intimidation factor and/or euro fans hate him. neither is true. not one of the euro players will be fazed by earl.

and regarding opinions of the man i think many euro players, myself included, would confess to having earl as a favorite player when they started playing pool. atleast for my generation where VHS/DVD matches were doing the rounds in the 90's and 00's. earl is probably to thank for influencing more people to take up the game than any other pro player outside asia. to me, earl is still the best 9-ball player ever.

my gripe with this selection is the signals it sends out, with him DQ'ed for assaulting a fellow player just a week ago, at a WPA tournament. completely irrational, cringey behavior that noone wants to see even near a pro pool tournament. he is clearly, clearly, not mentally sound at the moment. he claims the players at the table nearby was talking too much, but many of us remember him completely sharking the hell out of skylar and chohan when he had his mental breakdown against atencio (or whoever it was) some year ago.

my other objection is that there are other deserving players who could fill this spot and are less prone to team conflicts. oscar, sossei, chris, roberts comes to mind. tyler is fighting like hell travelling all over the world, even if him and svb/skylar don't gel i think he is worth consideration.