Earl's new cue

markjames

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
well judging by photos and videos of mosconi, he looks mean, he looks sinister, and he looks like he would never lose and might kill you if you beat him

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Earl played the best pool of his life with a $100 white cuetec. There was speculation that he used special shafts (SW, etc)...but no, they were your basic cuetec shafts, which at that time are NOT what they are today. They were horrible. Earl bbq'd the world during that era. All you need is a cue/shaft you like, and your tip. As Ronnie O' Sullivan says...you can get used to any cue - the TIP is everything. Earl says he uses old elkmasters that he has saved for years and years.
And he also said they were terrible but He was getting paid. When you have talent like earl you can play with trash and still be champion

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The shaft he used the last few tournaments is 16mm.
He's always jacking with his cue. He normally uses something in the 12mm area. 16 is HUUUUGE. I had a 14mm back when the big barbox cueballs were still around. It actually played good with standard rock too.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He's always jacking with his cue. He normally uses something in the 12mm area. 16 is HUUUUGE. I had a 14mm back when the big barbox cueballs were still around. It actually played good with standard rock too.
I used to have all my shafts made to 14mm for many years.

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
The cue of Earl's I have has the same diameter at the ferrule as 6"from the joint - all 6 of them

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
Willie Mosconi was a class act, great ambassador.

Earl can play pool, but is no Mosconi, or Scott Lee.
And Earl is a nice guy and one of the best pool players of all time. Nobody has a complaint about him when he's away from the table. I know, I spent 3 days watching him interact with folks and signing autographs. Everyone loved the guy. Even folks that didn't still wanted his autograph. Why is that you suppose?

And for "class acts": I remember my father taking me to see Mosconi play an exhibition match in Hillside, NJ. I was very disappointed because all he did was complain and act like an idiot. He was really the biggest crybaby I’ve every seen in my life. He was really bad for the game, he really turned me off to the image of what I was coming to see. He was playing a young kid at the time, and he wouldn’t play an old kid, in fact, some boy he was playing in NY ran 40 some off the break and he walked out of the joint and said, ‘People are here to see me play, not you’. I just didn’t really care for his attitude and it really turned me off to pro players at the time - Alan Hopkins

And yet, you hold Mosconi on some pedestal. Sounds like Earl and your "hero" have a lot more in common than world championships. I still think Mosconi as the best player of all time, it changes nothing about it. Not like he was a Barry Bonds or wife beater ;) lol

westcoast

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Don't know what cue he is using, but it seems he no longer shoots with a really long cue- looks standard length now

DynoDan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
And Earl is a nice guy and one of the best pool players of all time. Nobody has a complaint about him when he's away from the table. I know, I spent 3 days watching him interact with folks and signing autographs. Everyone loved the guy. Even folks that didn't still wanted his autograph. Why is that you suppose?

And for "class acts": I remember my father taking me to see Mosconi play an exhibition match in Hillside, NJ. I was very disappointed because all he did was complain and act like an idiot. He was really the biggest crybaby I’ve every seen in my life. He was really bad for the game, he really turned me off to the image of what I was coming to see. He was playing a young kid at the time, and he wouldn’t play an old kid, in fact, some boy he was playing in NY ran 40 some off the break and he walked out of the joint and said, ‘People are here to see me play, not you’. I just didn’t really care for his attitude and it really turned me off to pro players at the time - Alan Hopkins

And yet, you hold Mosconi on some pedestal. Sounds like Earl and your "hero" have a lot more in common than world championships. I still think Mosconi as the best player of all time, it changes nothing about it. Not like he was a Barry Bonds or wife beater ;) lol
Yes, when I first met him, I was a bit disappointed he wasn‘t exactly the ‘image’ I had grown up with (billiards ambassador/worlds greatest champion/humble Brunswick rep./etc.). In 30 seconds it was obvious…this is a guy that REALLY can’t stand to lose!

TheBasics

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Howdy All;

Saw Willie play a few times in my youth, growin' up in the Philia./Trenton area
To be 'nice' I'll agree with Mr. Hopkins. Other then that aspect, Willie was a great
shooter of pools.

hank

sammylane12

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I feel sorry for Earl. He reminds me of another savant, Bobby Fischer, Chess champion. they both went a little nuts after dropping from the worlds` elite.

DynoDan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I feel sorry for Earl. He reminds me of another savant, Bobby Fischer, Chess champion. they both went a little nuts after dropping from the worlds` elite.
“AFTER”? Hah.
Whatever. Can’t ”feel sorry” for anyone who plays pool like the balls had iron centers & each pocket contained a 100 lb. alnico magnet.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In his interview about the upcoming Mosconi Cup, Earl Strickland mentioned he's got a new cue. I've seen a picture and the handle area looks very thick. Anyone seen this or know what the cue is?
Where is this interview or link to it?

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

boogieman

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that ping.
He doesn't say what it is. No telling what he shows up with.
Imagine him showing up with one of those old cues with the liquid in the butt and floating balls in it, LEDs shining proudly. This would be the biggest move ever if he could pull off the win. Imagine the opponents reaction. 🤣

EDIT: Or the Minnesota Fats cue with the spring in the ferrule.

Matt_24

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
And he also said they were terrible but He was getting paid. When you have talent like earl you can play with trash and still be champion
You're just a little ray of sunshine in every post.