Explain This to Me...

Razor

Lex Parsimoniae
Silver Member
i sell high-end "original" furniture, as well as low-end "knock-offs".
those who know - know.
and those who don't - don't care.
it's all about their budget, in this economy.
and ETAs w/ $$$$$ on the table.
and the risk involved vs GOB.
and CYAing.

Do you always speak in code? Where's the @ signs? :grin-square:

~Razor

PINKLADY

ICNBB
Silver Member
i sell high-end "original" furniture, as well as low-end "knock-offs" (from CHINA).
those who know - know.
it's all about their budget, in this economy.
and ETAs (ESTIMATED TIME of ARRIVAL) w/ $$$$$ ($10K vs $1K) on the table.
and the risk involved vs GOB (GONE OUT of BUSINESS).
and CYAing (COVERING YOUR ASS).

i'm sorry, i was @ WORK mode. see above
:wink:

Razor

Lex Parsimoniae
Silver Member
i'm sorry, i was @ WORK mode. see above
:wink:

Haha. Thanks PINKY. I was just yanking on yer chain a tad . Earl's documentary has me feeling a little quirky this evening in anticipation @ Mosconi festivities.

Rock on.

~Razor

kvinbrwr

Skee Ball Monster Playa
Gold Member
those who know - know.

That's absolutely correct, and neither position, knowing or not caring is superior or smarter, its just the way it is. Just like with cues, you can't figure a for real original couch "sits" 10 times better than a knock-off, and you only care enough to pay the 10x if you care, otherwise its just makes no sense.

Myself, I like the margin better in the for real originals, and I have an appreciation for the work, but if I wasn't dealing in them I probably wouldn't much care.

Kevin

PINKLADY

ICNBB
Silver Member
That's absolutely correct, and neither position, knowing or not caring is superior or smarter, its just the way it is. Just like with cues, you can't figure a for real original couch "sits" 10 times better than a knock-off, and you only care enough to pay the 10x if you care, otherwise its just makes no sense.

Myself, I like the margin better in the for real originals, and I have an appreciation for the work, but if I wasn't dealing in them I probably wouldn't much care.

Kevin

EXACTLY, Kevin.

i have originals, and i know it. my people know it. and we all appreciate it. there IS a difference. and if i ever need to dump them, then - i'll at least break even (in this current economy).

meanwhile....MY SH1T will last TWO lifetimes. vs. 6 months Chinese (IKEA) imports!

(you get what you pay for, but still CYA via credit card deposit)

kvinbrwr

Skee Ball Monster Playa
Gold Member
EXACTLY, Kevin.

i have originals, and i know it. my people know it. and we all appreciate it. there IS a difference. and if i ever need to dump them, then - i'll at least break even (in this current economy).

meanwhile....MY SH1T will last TWO lifetimes. vs. 6 months Chinese (IKEA) imports!

(you get what you pay for, but still CYA via credit card deposit)

Yup. Thing is, once you know it, you know it and then you are stuck knowing it.

Always use a credit card. LOL. Always.

Cues are cool. Really close to the last of the great American folk artists. I guess there are still some musical instrument guys, and knife guys, and furniture guys, and of course there will always (hopefully) be painters, but all that crafty pridey thing is falling by the wayside.

You gotta love a guy like Barry Szam, doing it his Dad's way with basically his Dad's tools, materials and methods to keep the tradition alive. Not much of that left anymore.

And while I'm mentioning Barry's dad, the influence of Gus on the cue world is staggering. Even today, obviously every cue built by Barry is a tribute to his dad, but also to an extent, every Searing and every Showman. That's 3 of the big 5 (or 6) all building tributes to Gus. Balabushka, considered by many to be the grandmaster, his best cues and most valuable are from Gus blanks.

Gus.

Last edited:

ddadams

Absolutely love this cue.
Silver Member
I can't even get in touch with my favorite cuemaker but will still pursue the cues he makes. I like his work that much.

Maybe I'm a sucker but I know what I like.

MahnaMahna

Beefcake. BEEFCAKE!!
Silver Member
A thread about avoiding certain high end cue makers turns into a discussion about how great certain high end cue makers are.

Lisa to the rescue once again!

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
Jeff

For sure Searing, Szam, Hercek, SouthWest and any builder with a 10 year or longer waiting list (or Glenn for his services for that matter) could double their prices, thin out their list (and maybe not even have that result) and, with the same production, double their income. They are smart enough to know that, yet they choose not to.

Why?

Because they are not businessman and not money-motivated.

They are artisans, craftsman, not business people. There's no sense in complaining about Mr Searing being more business like in his dealings with the public because if he was, he would be charging twice as much for his services and cutting the flippers right out of the market.

Kevin

I agree, Kevin. I was just speaking economics, not judging anyone.

Jeff Livingston

Blue Hog ridr

World Famous Fisherman.
Silver Member
Of the many that would love to own one of the cue that you mentioned, there are even less that can actually afford them. maybe with our economy some have to prioritize.

Probably many already own a few of the high end cues and as much as they would like to purchase, they can't justify another.

With the cue market being what it is, there are only so many High end cues available and so many collectors willing to purchase.

If I wanted to, I could probably purchase any cue on the market at the moment. Most likely 15 Balabushkas if I needed to own that many.

I have this nagging feeling that using a 9 K cue isn't not going to elevate my game any more than it is at the moment.

I know as Kevin mentioned its like comparing a cheaper Toyota to a Rolls.
It may not be anything other than being able to hold a Lambo in your hand.

I have no desire to own a Lambo cue or drive one on the street either.

I could, but whats the point and what would it prove. I have zero to prove to anyone other than myself.

I love looking at them but the desire is just not there. I would rather put the money toward a commercial pilots license or something.

Maybe I have no class as I would just as soon have a Harley or a Dogs Playing Pool picture on my wall as an expensive painting or print.

Me, I likes my $180 Meucci and my Dale Perry's just fine.

Last edited: