Fargo rating

Gatz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'll back Tucson9ball in that action, on his home table, with a template.
The guy pattern racks like Dennis or Corey and runs out the same darn pattern over and over -without bih lol.
The 10B ghost better be afraid of Chris on that table.
Oh come on now. Now were talking about "backing" someone for a fiddy to play the ghost? Lol 😂

Home table with template is as easiest as it gets. Too easy? we can try 9 on spot with a different table.

WobblyStroke

This is a silly thread. Anyone can beat the ghost just playing the ghost with no pressure on. Throw $50 on line, live stream race to 7 and 700's will crumble.

I'm a 711 and would probably be nervous as fuck. In my basement I win 7/10 times no problem.
That fits for the golf comparison tho. Rounds with you kids and buddies count; not just tournament play. And it kinda fits my take that low 600s can often beat the ghost on familiar tables with no action/competition pressure. The question is if you can do it AT ALL, not whether you can do it with heat. There sure is a lot more to think about and get distracted by if you have action and an audience on THIS attempt compared to a free flowing practice in which if you win you file it away in your memory banks and if you start down 4-0 u bail and forget that the attempt even happened lol. Still think beating the ghost is a good comparison to being scratch. Plenty of scratch players don't play pressure rounds either and when you factor in that handicap counts your 7best results of your last 20 rounds to see what your 'cap is, I'm sure if pool players counted their best 7of20 there'd be a lot of 'scratch' players around a 600FR.

Cameron Smith

is kind of hungry...
Silver Member
Oh come on now. Now were talking about "backing" someone for a fiddy to play the ghost? Lol 😂

Home table with template is as easiest as it gets. Too easy? we can try 9 on spot with a different table.
Just to be nitpicky, my experience has been there is little difference between a home table and always practicing on table 8 at your home pool room. The only way conditions enter into it is if you challenge someone at a room they rarely play in.

SEB

Maybe, but for an example I'm currently sitting at 677 and only get challenged by the 9ball ghost if I do the pro version that doesn't allow BIH after the break. I know most claim the same, but I think my real spd is about 10pts higher. I only have ~600games in the system and suffered some horrible efforts that I've been slowly recovering from.

My point... is the difference between a 650 and 680 equate to an additional 40% success rate against the 9 ball ghost...?
FargoRate and the ghost are too different to compare this precisely. I tried looking up a ghost match with April Larson (658 Fargo) and Pia Filler (668) but the only thing I found was an article that I can't even figure out who won or definitively what the score was. Anyone remember how this shook out or if they beat it or not?

And a scratch golfer comparison would be 675-700 FargoRate. No question about this. If you've ever played with someone that is like a 710, they are pretty spectacular and definitely separate themselves as more than just the best guy you know...They can beat and often gamble consistently with pros.

Also remember that the 100th highest rated person IN THE WORLD is a 768....that should give some perspective.

Gatz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That fits for the golf comparison tho. Rounds with you kids and buddies count; not just tournament play. And it kinda fits my take that low 600s can often beat the ghost on familiar tables with no action/competition pressure. The question is if you can do it AT ALL, not whether you can do it with heat. There sure is a lot more to think about and get distracted by if you have action and an audience on THIS attempt compared to a free flowing practice in which if you win you file it away in your memory banks and if you start down 4-0 u bail and forget that the attempt even happened lol. Still think beating the ghost is a good comparison to being scratch. Plenty of scratch players don't play pressure rounds either and when you factor in that handicap counts your 7best results of your last 20 rounds to see what your 'cap is, I'm sure if pool players counted their best 7of20 there'd be a lot of 'scratch' players around a 600FR.
Ah, if the question is "if you can do it at all" then for sure a 600 can do it, eventually.

Last edited:

WobblyStroke

Ah, if the question is "if you can do it at all" then for sure a 600 can do it, eventually.
No no, my bad...I wasn't precise with my wording. I meant if they can beat the ghost more than half the time in any conditions....familiar table with no audience or betting pressure included. Not some one-off. Cuz even now as I only play 5-10hrs a week, usually less than sober, in casual environment, and only between golf seasons, I can go on heaters like last week where I beat the ghost 3 str8 sets for a total of 17-8 in racks. I don't have a rating, but those low 600s guys I mentioned earlier beat me more often than not in our casual lunchmoney games. I'm def no scratch player atm, but in my hayday I def was...that was before Fargo tho so I had to estimate the FR that would be required. I think 630s could do it, but from the feedback it looks like my buddies might be outliers...or I'm victim of confirmation bias.

WobblyStroke

Seems as though I'll be... Gatz and I play together in league. Feel like I'm setting myself up for failure though, as the house tables are in really rough shape....lol.
nice. record it and post so we can enjoy watching u rise to the occasion or at least show us a choke job.

edit: 700FR play in leagues? The soccer moms must hate u.

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Very true. Any 650 in the Phoenix area want to try the ghost some? It'll be a fun experiment. I can only speak for myself, but I beat the ghost a LOT (when I'm playing good). When I factor in my sets where I am either playing bad or breaking bad, I come out under 50% winner. Lots of people like to only remember the good sets.
On the old school Phoenix 4-10 system what’s high 9’s Fargo and a low 10’s Fargo?

Thx
Fatboy 😃

Gatz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
nice. record it and post so we can enjoy watching u rise to the occasion or at least show us a choke job.

edit: 700FR play in leagues? The soccer moms must hate u.

Trust me, i'd rather not. But I do it to support the league operator there, he's a good dude. The people there are generally pretty awesome too, good crowd.

Gatz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No no, my bad...I wasn't precise with my wording. I meant if they can beat the ghost more than half the time in any conditions....familiar table with no audience or betting pressure included. Not some one-off. Cuz even now as I only play 5-10hrs a week, usually less than sober, in casual environment, and only between golf seasons, I can go on heaters like last week where I beat the ghost 3 str8 sets for a total of 17-8 in racks. I don't have a rating, but those low 600s guys I mentioned earlier beat me more often than not in our casual lunchmoney games. I'm def no scratch player atm, but in my hayday I def was...that was before Fargo tho so I had to estimate the FR that would be required. I think 630s could do it, but from the feedback it looks like my buddies might be outliers...or I'm victim of confirmation bias.

I'm not from the States. From my understanding is that most states play on Barboxes? If that's the case, then I would say a 600 could definitely beat the 9ball ghost on a barbox more often than not. A valley table? Ghost has no chance lol. On a 9ft table 650ish player is not beating the ghost more than 50/50 in casual conditions.

Add a stream, maybe a small bet, some people watching? Totally changes. Just my opinion.

WobblyStroke

I'm not from the States. From my understanding is that most states play on Barboxes? If that's the case, then I would say a 600 could definitely beat the 9ball ghost on a barbox more often than not. A valley table? Ghost has no chance lol. On a 9ft table 650ish player is not beating the ghost more than 50/50 in casual conditions.

Add a stream, maybe a small bet, some people watching? Totally changes. Just my opinion.
Ah, a fellow Canadian boy. "The States" is a dead giveaway. We the only ones that call em that. I don't play league but only 9footer leagues where Im at too. My wife calls em 'loser leagues' as in for ppl that can't actually play so when I joined for a cpl sessions she ripped me mercilessly for how far I'd fallen since we met all those years ago. It was good for me tho...met a few 6s and 7s I can play with on my own schedule and not deal with sitting around to play a guy that barely knows how to hold a cue and thinks stop shots are hard.

easy-e

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
On the old school Phoenix 4-10 system what’s high 9’s Fargo and a low 10’s Fargo?

Thx
Fatboy 😃
The AZ system ended up going to 12. There's a chart somewhere, I'll try to find it. I think 10 ended up around 675ish.

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The AZ system ended up going to 12. There's a chart somewhere, I'll try to find it. I think 10 ended up around 675ish.
I remember the 10 minus 2 idea or a 12 that happened around 94?

Sounds right. I was a low 10 at my best and I’d guess Fargo would have been 675 by watching rated guys playing.

Right now I’m a 364 as I haven’t hit a ball in years lol. I’m just trying to get a feel for this. I understood the phx system. I was a middle of the road 9 in the early 90’s there. Great action!

Thx

Gatz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm in Canada but have this on my phone. Don't really use it. But i'm sure i'll find a use for it one day. This the chart you talking about? Think this is from Dr Dave's website.

Attachments

• 78A5A207-51A0-48F4-A57C-1402EB0ACBD4.jpeg
    78A5A207-51A0-48F4-A57C-1402EB0ACBD4.jpeg
    117.3 KB · Views: 75

alphadog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pia 50 ghost 51

April 50 ghost 74

Don't feel bad reading comprehension on az couldn't beat the ghost with ball in hand 4 times a rack.😉