Fedor G. drill..............

Bishop

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I really like this. Maintaining control of the center of the table isn’t an easy thing.

Lawnboy77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yeah and he’s doing this on crazy small corners. I’ll have to give this one a try. Thanks Garczar!

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Fedor is a very rare talent. Only a few players in the world could perform the level three version of this drill with more than occasional success.

BasementDweller

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's interesting to me that Fedor plays with the natural elbow drop that many players are moving away from. What may be more interesting is SVB used to stroke like this but switched to a more locked elbow around the time he moved to the longer cue.

SVB's more locked cueing looks less natural to me than his younger, more Fedor like version.

Anyway, interesting drill.

Last edited:

dquarasr

Registered
I tried this drill. Took me three tries. Really gets alignment and stroke spot on.

Then I did a ghost BIH to start 9-ball runout!! I NEVER even come close!

I’m going to keep this drill in my repertoire for sure.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
It's interesting to me that Fedor plays with the natural elbow drop that many players are moving away from. What may be more interesting is SVB used to stroke like this but switched to a more locked elbow around the time he moved to the longer cue.
Using single-frame stepping in the video, it looks like his elbow is pinned until the tip hits the ball. That's what I call the "J stroke".

SlateMan

Registered
The Hardy Boys are about to start a new book. "Who replace the Diamond Ball Polisher with an old refrigerator?"

Iwishiwasrich

I was just watching Fedor and Beckley playing at the Midwest bar table classic 3 miles from my house. Fedor was up 7- 3 when I left. He is a machine but a relaxed one. Tv Mike is streaming it Fedor won this tournament last year.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
For the nerds
seems he is right handed left eye dominant
jmho
icbw

poolnut7879

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I tried this drill. Took me three tries. Really gets alignment and stroke spot on.

Then I did a ghost BIH to start 9-ball runout!! I NEVER even come close!

I’m going to keep this drill in my repertoire for sure.
Did you accomplish the easiest version of this drill? I would think that if you can beat this drill then the playing the ghost should be beatable as well. What part of the ghost was beating you?

7stud

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For the nerds
seems he is right handed left eye dominant
jmho
icbw
I believe that combo is what forced John Morra to switch from righty to lefty. Yet, Gorst looks very relaxed and his head and elbow are lined up. It doesn't look like he is craning his neck over the cue to get his left eye lined up with the cue. I am also right handed, completely left eye dominant, and getting my left eye over the cue is not very comfortable for me. Another problem for me is getting enough clearance for my swing: I want to stand close to the cue so that I don't have to crane my neck as far to the right, but then my hip gets in the way of my swing. Based on my experience, you don't want to be cross-dominant if you are a pool player.

Last edited:

dquarasr

Registered
Did you accomplish the easiest version of this drill? I would think that if you can beat this drill then the playing the ghost should be beatable as well. What part of the ghost was beating you?
Yes, the easiest version.

I have to be at my best to beat the 4-ball ghost in a race to 10. I only did a single 9-ball run out which for me, happens maybe once a year practicing.

Just the other day I was up 3-0 against the 4-ball ghost. Then 3-2, and I started pressing. Lost 3-10. Usual crap:

My runs are usually broken by stupid stuff. Rolling too short or too far hooking myself; rattling what should be easy shots; scratching even though I am applying side, top, stun or draw with what I think is the right amount of it to avoid the scratch.

Also, my shot selection needs to improve to quit expecting perfect speed control crossing the shot line so I am more often coming into it. So much to learn.

That I was able to get lined in using the drill, then stay there playing a rack, tells me I should keep this drill as a warm up. It really helped me get lined up and stay loose.