Final Thoughts on 2014 Mosconi Cup

(((Satori)))

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Are you willing to put up money on Darrens side? If not, then kindly back out of the conversation because you have no say.

They will play again and when they do you can give me a shout if you're looking for action. I like Darrens chances of making it 10 in a row.

Damn, 10 in a row! Just say that out loud with me 10 IN A ROW. That's some major ownage if true and you are either one hell of a troll or one hell of a SVB fan to talk about taking the bad side of that.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
They will play again and when they do you can give me a shout if you're looking for action. I like Darrens chances of making it 10 in a row.

Damn, 10 in a row! Just say that out loud with me 10 IN A ROW. That's some major ownage if true and you are either one hell of a troll or one hell of a SVB fan to talk about taking the bad side of that.

12/2/2014 -- Van Boening and Deuel defeated Appleton and Gray 5-3

(((Satori)))

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
12/2/2014 -- Van Boening and Deuel defeated Appleton and Gray 5-3
And? What's your point? I think it was pretty clear that Darren was talking about head to head matches.

This ain't no guy who was faster than a horse scenario again is it?

Last edited:

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
And? What's your point? I think it was pretty clear that Darren was talking about head to head matches.

This ain't no guy who was faster than a horse scenario again is it?

Darren's comment about beating Shane "the last 8 times" was after their singles match on the first day of the MC. It was one sentence with no elaboration. I do not know what matches he was including in that, nor do I know whether his memory was accurate. Nor do I know whether the count of 8 included the just-concluded match. Appleton and Boyes beat Van Boening and Strickland in the quarterfinals of the World Cup of Pool just 10 weeks ago. Was Darren including that win in his count of 8? I do not know. But if he was, then it is fair to point out that he lost to Shane (in a doubles match) the day after his statement (and Darren also won again against Shane in a doubles match earlier that same day).

So I guess my point is simply that I'm a stickler for facts and do not really know the facts about this. We did learn a couple weeks ago that Darren keeps track of some of his own stats, so it would not surprise me at all if he is accurate about his streak of wins against Shane.

In any event, he certainly has a big lead in wins in recent months.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Darren's comment about beating Shane "the last 8 times" was after their singles match on the first day of the MC. It was one sentence with no elaboration. I do not know what matches he was including in that, nor do I know whether his memory was accurate. Nor do I know whether the count of 8 included the just-concluded match. Appleton and Boyes beat Van Boening and Strickland in the quarterfinals of the World Cup of Pool just 10 weeks ago. Was Darren including that win in his count of 8? I do not know. But if he was, then it is fair to point out that he lost to Shane (in a doubles match) the day after his statement (and Darren also won again against Shane in a doubles match earlier that same day).

So I guess my point is simply that I'm a stickler for facts and do not really know the facts about this. We did learn a couple weeks ago that Darren keeps track of some of his own stats, so it would not surprise me at all if he is accurate about his streak of wins against Shane.

In any event, he certainly has a big lead in wins in recent months.

A win over Shane in the final of the 14.1 event in August, a win over Shane at the World Cup of Pool in September, a win over Shane at the Challenge of Champions in October and a win over Shane at the Accu-stats "Make it Happen" event in November would be among Darren's string of wins.

Swighey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nice post J.W.

Lol, people in this thread alluding to SVB being a better long race player and therefore better pool player despite losing in the short races. Maybe we should abandon triangular racks and adopt one that maximizes Shane's chances of potting the 8 outer balls off the break leaving him an easy shot on the 9 when it doesn't go down? And play a race to 10957 so that he is always in his comfort zone and the European players never get a chance to deal with the moment? Seriously, some of you guys are beyond the beyond - get behind your players rather than making (beyond reasonable) excuses when they lose. All credit to them - they turn up every year to take a beating.

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member
Glad you enjoyed yourself back in Blackpool again Jim. The last time I saw you there we left you passed out arse up in the skip behind the old ASDA after we'd done a runner with a carry-out from the off-licence, do you remember? Happy days eh? What a night that was - Bill Werbeniuk could certainly sup a few couldn't he? I can still see you now, with just your feet sticking out of the skip echoing to the sound of you trying to spew up your duodenum.

Come to think of it, it was either you or my auntie Doris, I forget which. Cast your mind back Jim. It's 1986/7ish - the Blackpool Classic. We've just been expelled for mooning The Bishop of Carlisle in the bar at the Norbreck Castle Hotel. Were you wearing a pair of pink furry slippers?

Boro Nut

forget MC 2014 and the man vs horse racing.

we need more info on this, starting with an English to American translation. :grin: :eek: :grin:

best,
brian kc

corvette1340

www.EpawnMarket.com
Silver Member
Nice post J.W.

Lol, people in this thread alluding to SVB being a better long race player and therefore better pool player despite losing in the short races. Maybe we should abandon triangular racks and adopt one that maximizes Shane's chances of potting the 8 outer balls off the break leaving him an easy shot on the 9 when it doesn't go down? And play a race to 10957 so that he is always in his comfort zone and the European players never get a chance to deal with the moment? Seriously, some of you guys are beyond the beyond - get behind your players rather than making (beyond reasonable) excuses when they lose. All credit to them - they turn up every year to take a beating.

lol, nobody is making excuses. I'm just simply pointing out that Darren himself acknowledged that Shane was the best rotation pool player on the planet and that he would no longer gamble with him. All of these dumbshits on here like to say that Darren would beat Shane gambling, blah, blah, blah, but NONE of them will put any money on it, nor will Darren even step in the box.

The same goes for any of the other Euros or Asians, etc....If you think you are the best then challenge all comers. To my knowledge, Shane is the only one that does this. Way to go Darren and others, you won a short race tourney, lmao.

There's a guy here in Georgia that won a big poker tourney and got paid $270,000. He has since lost all of it playing over his head in our big cash games. The difference being that any donk with basic game understanding can win a tourney, but the better players will always get the cash in the long run. EXACTLY like pool.

Tony_in_MD

You want some of this?
Silver Member
To me it sounds like one of my typical nights when I was younger.

Passed out arse up......

forget MC 2014 and the man vs horse racing.

we need more info on this, starting with an English to American translation. :grin: :eek: :grin:

best,
brian kc

peteypooldude

I see Edges
Silver Member

He's a great short race tournament player. That about sums it up

(((Satori)))

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He's a great short race tournament player. That about sums it up

Suppose you are right. Suppose Darren is just a tournament player.
And suppose the "format" really is what beat Shane.

The truth is they both play strong for the cash and strong in the tournaments. I think Darren is better as of late and you have your excuses for why he doesn't. It's all good.

Attachments

• download.jpg
    download.jpg
    11.3 KB · Views: 224
Last edited:

peteypooldude

I see Edges
Silver Member
Suppose you are right. Suppose Darren is just a tournament player.
And suppose the "format" really is what beat Shane.

It all comes down to which style you like best then huh. The mentally strong or the weaker guy who can outlast the others with a big break. Like a marathoner vs a sprinter. Strong and gifted or long and strong. It's a matter of choice then huh?

The truth is they both play strong for the cash and strong in the tournaments. I think Darren is better and you have your excuses for why he doesn't. It's all good.

I think Daz is a beast but I think it was a bit of a cheap shot or at the very least in bad taste to make that claim when he did. If it was Shane's style he had leverage to "knock" Daz as well. I agree he is stronger in the short race and 14-1 but in any rotation game going to say 11 or more he hasn't beat our 2nd string much less have the nerve to bark at Shane. I like Daz and I'm sure his comment was not meant to be offensive but people pick it up and make it that way. If Daz or anyone else wants to crow about getting out the gate 1st then so be it. Because that's exactly what it is

(((Satori)))

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think Daz is a beast but I think it was a bit of a cheap shot or at the very least in bad taste to make that claim when he did. If it was Shane's style he had leverage to "knock" Daz as well. I agree he is stronger in the short race and 14-1 but in any rotation game going to say 11 or more he hasn't beat our 2nd string much less have the nerve to bark at Shane. I like Daz and I'm sure his comment was not meant to be offensive but people pick it up and make it that way. If Daz or anyone else wants to crow about getting out the gate 1st then so be it. Because that's exactly what it is

Oh my god!

Grab a tissue and wipe them tears.

I guess it was bad taste for the commentators to point it out to huh.? 9 in a row, they said it a few times, 9 in a row. Man that is strong though 9 times in a row. 9 victories, 9 defeats. 9 in a row. 9 times Darren left happy while Shane's confidence dwindled further down. 9 times. Got I don't even like to say it. 9 times.

I'll just say Daz is the man and leave it at that.

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Oh my god!

Grab a tissue and wipe them tears.

I guess it was bad taste for the commentators to point it out to huh.? 9 in a row, they said it a few times, 9 in a row. Man that is strong though 9 times in a row. 9 victories, 9 defeats. 9 in a row. 9 times Darren left happy while Shane's confidence dwindled further down. 9 times. Got I don't even like to say it. 9 times.

I'll just say Daz is the man and leave it at that.

Dam that's a Horse F,,,king if I have ever heard of one

ineedaspot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Let me get this straight. Darren has apparently beaten Shane 9 times in a row now. And people are still whining about short races? You know, you can stitch together those short races into one long race, if you want to. What's the excuse for not doing that?

I guess in order to "count", all the games have to be played in one long 12-hour session, so it becomes a combination pool/endurance contest. Maybe it only counts if the table is set up just the way Shane wants it. Adjusting to table conditions is for bangers, right? Like the Mosconi table, it was playing loose, Shane would never have missed that 6-ball if only the pockets were tighter. And definitely not overseas, because then Shane gets jetlag. It's only fair if the other guy is the one with the jetlag.

But even when that happens, like when Ko beat Shane twice, here in the US, once in a race to 21, still there's some excuse. Was it the magic rack?

If it were really true that short races were just coin tosses, all about rolls and luck, then Darren and Shane should each win about half of them, right? The odds of winning 9 coin tosses in a row are about 500-to-1. Hmm. Maybe there's something else going on here.

Look, Shane and Darren are both great. But Darren's had his number recently. That's just the way it is.

peteypooldude

I see Edges
Silver Member
Dam that's a Horse F,,,king if I have ever heard of one

More like a rabbit F...king.
A Horse...king is what happens to Daz EVERYTIME he tries to step up and test his mettle. Maybe they should shorten these challenge matches to 5 games so Darren can win one . I've beat champions in short races. Nothing to brag about. The longer the race the better chance the LESSER player has to win. That's a fact
So go ahead and bark this dumb sh1t. Shane's the better player

peteypooldude

I see Edges
Silver Member
It is a horse f...king of epic proportions and its still going long and hard.

And the fans seem to be feeling it the most.

I'm not going to keep going back and forth so I'll give you something to talk about.
You can say Darren is the best race to 5 player on the planet and most will agree
Say he's the best rotation player and you'll get laughed at

(((Satori)))

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm not going to keep going back and forth so I'll give you something to talk about.
You can say Darren is the best race to 5 player on the planet and most will agree
Say he's the best rotation player and you'll get laughed at

I'll say hes the best player of the two right now and you can laugh in between your tears and excuses.

peteypooldude

I see Edges
Silver Member
I'll say hes the best player of the two right now and you can laugh in between your tears and excuses.

Good enough. BTW I haven't made excuses, I just pointed out the obvious
If you can refrain from the smart a$$ed comments I'd like to let this go