Final Thoughts on 2014 Mosconi Cup

ineedaspot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm not going to keep going back and forth so I'll give you something to talk about.
You can say Darren is the best race to 5 player on the planet and most will agree
Say he's the best rotation player and you'll get laughed at

Laughed at by who? By Shane worshippers?

Because, of course, the guy who's never won a world championship is obviously the best. It's like that in all sports. Take the world champions, ignore them, and whoever is left is the best! And if that fails, just look to the guy who's lost 9 times in a row to someone else. That guy is also a sure candidate for number 1.

Truth is, the best player in the world right now probably lives in Taiwan. Outside of Taiwan/PI, Shane is probably number 3, after Darren and Niels.

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
More like a rabbit F...king.
A Horse...king is what happens to Daz EVERYTIME he tries to step up and test his mettle. Maybe they should shorten these challenge matches to 5 games so Darren can win one . I've beat champions in short races. Nothing to brag about. The longer the race the better chance the LESSER player has to win. That's a fact
So go ahead and bark this dumb sh1t. Shane's the better player

Ya Ya Same old horse cocka,, but he can't beat Shane in a race to 4 thousand made to fit race because his advantage is stamina
Here's a news flash ,,tourneys are short races that's what players train themselves for
When the day comes they move them to 100 players will train mentally and physicaly to be better prepared for that
But until that happens they basicly their side shows

peteypooldude

I see Edges
Silver Member

Because, of course, the guy who's never won a world championship is obviously the best. It's like that in all sports. Take the world champions, ignore them, and whoever is left is the best! And if that fails, just look to the guy who's lost 9 times in a row to someone else. That guy is also a sure candidate for number 1.

Truth is, the best player in the world right now probably lives in Taiwan. Outside of Taiwan/PI, Shane is probably number 3, after Darren and Niels.

Wtf. I'm not a Shane worshiper and I've said all I have to say without repeating myself
I like a lot of Satons post so I'm not trying to get a beef going
It's all been said.

ScottyDzntKnow

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I'm not gonna have an AZ argument but saying Shane is below Neils and Darren is slightly laughable. When you hit their level of play it's anybody's game in races to 11 or below. My money still says Shane is the best long format player on the planet.

ineedaspot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm not gonna have an AZ argument but saying Shane is below Neils and Darren is slightly laughable. When you hit their level of play it's anybody's game in races to 11 or below. My money still says Shane is the best long format player on the planet.

Yeah, totally laughable. Niels is reigning world champ (and Darren's pick for top player right know, but what does he know), Darren's beaten Shane 9 times in a row.

9 times in a row. So much for the theory that it's "anybody's game".

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Ok I'll be the one to say it. A man can't beat a horse in the hundred yard dash. Other than that good post and I agree the event was great.

I got a buddy who lost a $100 bet in the 80s on a 50 yard dash.
His opponent was on foot...
...he was driving a T-Bird.

He aint bought a Ford product since.....:mad:

Jaden

"no buds chill"
Silver Member
lol....

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaaaaaaahhhhaaaaaaaaaahhaaaaaaaaaaahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

That's all I have to say about that...

Jaden

Jaden

"no buds chill"
Silver Member
Really???

Ya Ya Same old horse cocka,, but he can't beat Shane in a race to 4 thousand made to fit race because his advantage is stamina
Here's a news flash ,,tourneys are short races that's what players train themselves for
When the day comes they move them to 100 players will train mentally and physicaly to be better prepared for that
But until that happens they basicly their side shows

Where was Daz in the last three US opens???? Oh yeah that's right, watching Shane win them...

Jaden

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Where was Daz in the last three US opens???? Oh yeah that's right, watching Shane win them...

Jaden

Polishing his world championship trophies he should bring one next time he plays Shane so he can at least get close to one

nobcitypool

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Silly argument. In any given week, there's five to seven players who could be considered strong possibilities to won a big tournament. Daz and Shane are clearly in that group. To argue further than that makes no sense.

peteypooldude

I see Edges
Silver Member
Consistently? Because unless you have this means basically nothing when comparing yourself to someone like Appleton.

My point was that I wouldn't stand a chance if the race had been longer
Ive in no way compared myself to anyone
I've also lost to players that would stand zero chance if the match was longer also

Last edited:

SakuJack

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
And you wouldn't have a chance of consistently beating champions in short races either, which is what someone like Appleton does.

SmoothStroke

Swim for the win.
Silver Member
Got back home and wanted to share some of my thoughts on what in my opinion, was one of the best Mosconi cups ever. The event gets better every year and it amazes me how Matchroom and SKY Sports continue to put forth this kind of effort year after year and find ways to make this event the best on the planet, bar none.

I wanted to address a few points from an inside perspective if you will.

Firstly, I honestly believe in all of my 21 years attending and working at this event, that the USA is making the right moves towards securing a brighter future for their sport in America. The Varners, Stricklands and Archers have laid a foundation that the younger players now have to build on. Anybody that doesn't think these players who represented the USA didn't deserve to be there just needed to see what I saw. And remember "experience is what you get when you needed it". The younger players will be that much better for this event and trust me, they will tell all of their friends and anybody that asks them that they have no idea what its like over there, none. Words can't describe the feeling these guys lived in real time. And John Schmidt was as classy as any USA fan could ever have asked for, he never once refused to support the team or be there for encouragement. Of course he didn't play his game, hardly any of the Americans did, but he nor his team mates didn't quit on the team philosophy at any time and THAT is why Mark Wilson picked them. They brought respect and honor to the sport and that is where it all needs to start again.

With regards to Shane and his performance over there. Have you ever seen Shane getting out of his chair and talking to his fellow players like that before, ever? He bought into what Mark has selling and that was clearly shown. He racked balls for the players for hours and helped them all work on the break. He became a leader there, not a role Shane has ever had in a Mosconi Cup. But he will grow into it and make every American proud, just wait and see.
His performance was muted by the format and that is the simple truth. A man can beat a thoroughbred horse in a 100 yard dash, stretch it out a bit and good luck to that man. Shane is a thoroughbred - period!

Its tough to explain but I can only put it down to the fact that team Europe gel and accept the team event concept a bit better than the USA does. This is something that Mark and his team will certainly be addressing from today on. But it will be addressed make no mistake.

But the sport of pool was the winner here and for that we just have to thank Matchroom Sport and Sky TV. If we had more events like this in a calendar year how easy would it be to sell this game to corporate America.

Next one looks to be back in Vegas. I expect preparations will be starting for Mark Wilson very soon in 2015. I hope all the fans in the US can get behind him and his team as they start the next journey. Its a process and I for one like the way the building blocks are starting to form.

Of course everyone is entitled to an opinion and I hope that by sharing mine I have shed a bit more light on things. Being there allows one to see a bit more than what TV might allow. They don't call it the Tower Circus for nothing - thats something I learned.

And finally a shameless plug for my new club set to open in about a weeks time. It is called the Corner Bank and will be located in Toronto. It boasts three - 12 food screens, sixteen - 60 inch tv monitors, a 60 foot bar along with 28 Diamond tables and 8 professional snooker tables all waiting to be occupied. If your ever up that way stop in for a beer and a game.

All the very best over the holidays. Health and Prosperity to all!

Jim Wych

Mark Wilson should have attempted to get out of his chair and coach.
Afterall he was the coach. Coaching in the locker room after the days events is useless. I guess somebody had to do it so Shane did.

It's a race to 5,when it becomes a race to 50 or 100 then I think it should be brought up, until then it's a moot point.

Nice work commentating

r9ball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Good post and commentating Jim,,

Players that know Mark Wilson (me personally 25 yrs), they know Mark is dedicated to making the sport grow with younger players at Linwood and his private lessons and that he promotes and demands sportsmanship.
While I and others may not agree if he had the best players from the U.S., I believe he chose some of the present and future players that he thought best represented the sport, future of the sport and sportsmanship.
I believe I would have made a couple different choices as there is a ton of talent out there..
I read some people thought Earl should made the team. Yes, Earl has the talent and proven ability,, but his sportsmanship and antics will probably stop him from ever being on Mark's team. As with his Linwood team and team U.S.A., the players behaved properly and respectfully even in the loss.
Although we did lose, I still congratulate them in their effort and as the Cubs fans say (I'm not a Cubs fan), wait til next year.

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
rball...If you've known Mark for 25 years, then you should know the name of the school...it's Lindenwood University.

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

Players that know Mark Wilson (me personally 25 yrs), they know Mark is dedicated to making the sport grow with younger players at Linwood and his private lessons and that he promotes and demands sportsmanship.
While I and others may not agree if he had the best players from the U.S., I believe he chose some of the present and future players that he thought best represented the sport, future of the sport and sportsmanship.
I believe I would have made a couple different choices as there is a ton of talent out there..
I read some people thought Earl should made the team. Yes, Earl has the talent and proven ability,, but his sportsmanship and antics will probably stop him from ever being on Mark's team. As with his Linwood team and team U.S.A., the players behaved properly and respectfully even in the loss.
Although we did lose, I still congratulate them in their effort and as the Cubs fans say (I'm not a Cubs fan), wait til next year.

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Actually the talent needed to win this event from the American side is very limited

ScottyDzntKnow

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yeah, totally laughable. Niels is reigning world champ (and Darren's pick for top player right know, but what does he know), Darren's beaten Shane 9 times in a row.

9 times in a row. So much for the theory that it's "anybody's game".

It's funny how snard and dickish people can act towards someone's opinion. I'm not gonna get in a pool debate with someone I can probably give the 6 ball to. Keep running out on your keyboard buddy.

ineedaspot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's funny how snard and dickish people can act towards someone's opinion. I'm not gonna get in a pool debate with someone I can probably give the 6 ball to. Keep running out on your keyboard buddy.

You mean people who make posts calling others "snard and dickish" rather than even trying to make a substantive argument? Yeah, there's a lot of that on the internet.