Finished my first cue, thanks AZB!

kross

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just finished my first cue, and would like to thank AZB for everything I've learned here. It's a simple cue, but I like it. :) I haven't been active on the forum, but I've been lurking and learning in the background.

Here are some specifics for my cue:

Fully cored forearm and handle with flat laminated maple.
Bird's eye maple forearm and buttsleeve.
Aluminum 3-inch 3/8-10 A-joint pin.
SS 3/8-10 joint pin.
Final tapered shaft from Atlas
Aegis-II ferrule and black phenolic rings.
Target Coatings EM9300 clear coat finish.

I made some of my own tools, which I will detail below, with pictures.

I watched Joe Barringer's DVD's, and I read Chris Hightower's book. I still made lots of mistakes. There's no substitute for experience.

Lessons learned:

- Put those pins in straight and concentric! I had to plug and re-drill those holes a couple times to get it right.
- Live threading a deep hole with a long skinny thread mill isn't very accurate. I'll just buy a 3/8-10 tap for those holes, and only use the live threading on shafts (joint and ferrule).
- Glue relief! Cracking forearms sucks.
- Waterborne clear coats need to go on in many thin coats, not piled on in a heavy coat, unlike automotive clear coats. I got much better results once I figured that out. I went through a whole quart of the stuff practicing! I'll be doing another cue shortly, I think I'll video the finishing process, to help other newbies like me out.

Since everyone loves pictures, here are a few:

mg1571.jpg

mg1570.jpg

mg1578.jpg

To core the forearm, I made my own drill using 3/4" steel rod, and ground a "D" tip on the end. I also turned down the rod an inch or so behind the tip, for some relief from rubbing on the inside of the bored hole. Cost me less than $20, and works pretty well. It drills quite straight. The downside is it does get hot, and I have to keep backing it out and blowing it out, both to clear the chips and keep everything cool. But if you're on a budget, this is a good start before splurging on a gun drill.

mg1589w.jpg

mg1590.jpg

I also made my own boring bar for boring 1/4" holes 3" deep. I didn't feel like spending $50-$100 on a solid carbide boring bar, so I ground one out of 1/4" round HSS tool steel. Total cost: $3.

mg1583.jpg

mg1588.jpg

Thanks!
-- Kevin

BHQ

we'll miss you
Silver Member
Lessons learned:

- Put those pins in straight and concentric! I had to plug and re-drill those holes a couple times to get it right.
been there done that
- Live threading a deep hole with a long skinny thread mill isn't very accurate. I'll just buy a 3/8-10 tap for those holes, and only use the live threading on shafts (joint and ferrule).
- Glue relief! Cracking forearms sucks.
been there done that too
- Waterborne clear coats need to go on in many thin coats, not piled on in a heavy coat, unlike automotive clear coats. I got much better results once I figured that out. I went through a whole quart of the stuff practicing! I'll be doing another cue shortly, I think I'll video the finishing process, to help other newbies like me out.
paying it forward, i like that :thumbup:

congrats!
and now you're hooked , right? :wink:

scdiveteam

Rick Geschrey
Silver Member
Hi,

Great job, very nice cue..

Just to share some info. After reading where you say the tool got hot reminded me of how I blew up an Ebony piece. I started to drill and forgot to turn on the air for a inch or so. Then I turned on the air not knowing I plugged up the exit hole in the business end of the gun drill. At that tine I was running a 550 rpm.

Because it was loud I didn't clock that the air was of and the ebony piece blew up in a very dramatic way. Since then I slowed the RPM down and am careful about the air operation.

My advice to you is to get a sterling carbide gun drill and keep the RPM under 300.

Good future cues,

Rick

ArizonaPete

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nice job Kevin and congratulations on the determination to go forward and build it. What's on the back burner for the next effort?

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You made your boring bar to core the thing?

Making a cue is one thing. Making your tooling and producing a nice cored cue right off the bat is another.

As an observer and lover of cues, my hat is off to you.

63Kcode

AKA Larry Vigus
Silver Member
One down. Many more to come. I am sure. Welcome to the addiction. How was the first night out shooting with it.

Larry

DaveK

Still crazy after all these years
Silver Member
Bravo on your use of the D bit reamer ! Most people have never heard of them. These old techniques are often much more accessible to small shops.

Dave

cuewould

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Congrats

Welcome to the MAD HOUSE....The best people you will ever meet are right here.......P.S. Great job on your first cue ....keep them coming.....Ray

JuicyGirl

Scroll Lock- Juicy Style
Silver Member
Great work! Congrats. Out looks beautiful.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

kross

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Very nice indeed. Enjoyed reading your lessons learned. Good luck with future builds.

Thanks Joe! I would also like to thank you for your DVD's, they were a great help!

I'd like to thank Chris, too, for his book. Also a huge help!

Thanks everyone!
-- Kevin

kross

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My advice to you is to get a sterling carbide gun drill and keep the RPM under 300.

For sure. I made my own tooling because I wasn't sure cue building was for me, and I didn't want to spend a bunch on tooling. Now that I'm addicted, I'll be buying a proper gun drill. :grin:

I won't be using the D-bit drill much more. It just takes too long to core a forearm (about 30 minutes). For people that have more time than money, this is a fine option. But if you can afford it, definitely go for the gun drill.

ArizonaPete said:
What's on the back burner for the next effort?
Next I'll be making a taper attachment, so I can start making my own shafts. I don't care for the taper on the final taper shafts from Atlas, plus I don't like having to sand them down to the proper diameter. I'd rather turn them down on the lathe, to keep them straight and round. I've seen a number of threads on here with homemade taper attachments, so I have enough ideas now to make my own. Hmm, maybe I'll document that project with pictures to help other newbies out...

Thanks everyone!
-- Kevin

Last edited:

kross

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Great job Kev.

You can go to Rockler and buy UHMW plates and rig it up as taper bar.
http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=1580&site=ROCKLER&filter=UHMW
You just need aluminum extrusion to hold it.
Bend it as you please.

Thanks Joey, I was going to do something similar. I was going to buy some Delrin flat bar, 1/2" x 1" x 36" from MSC, some aluminum bar locally, and mount the two together with some adjusting screws every few inches.

For the straight taper (for butts), I was going to get some aluminum bar, and to true up the edge clamp a precision straight edge to it, and use a flush trim bit on my router table. And then an adjusting screw at one end to change the amount of taper.

Then a couple brackets to hold the taper bars to the lathe. I'm not going to do the fancy four-position rotating turret to change between taper bars. I'll just unscrew one from the brackets, and screw on the other one.

Easy peasy, right? :grin:

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Thanks Joey, I was going to do something similar. I was going to buy some Delrin flat bar, 1/2" x 1" x 36" from MSC, some aluminum bar locally, and mount the two together with some adjusting screws every few inches.

For the straight taper (for butts), I was going to get some aluminum bar, and to true up the edge clamp a precision straight edge to it, and use a flush trim bit on my router table. And then an adjusting screw at one end to change the amount of taper.

Then a couple brackets to hold the taper bars to the lathe. I'm not going to do the fancy four-position rotating turret to change between taper bars. I'll just unscrew one from the brackets, and screw on the other one.

Easy peasy, right? :grin:
You got it.
A 30" rod and an indicator make for great friends too .
The two will save you a ton of time and wood.
I like using a .0005 indicator so each click is a thousandth on lathe mode.

And if you use a set screw, you know what pitch gets you .100" cut per revolution.

You're on your way as a cuemaking maniac.