for the love of action

Why Do On Lookers Bother To Watch Players Gamble? What A Total Waste Of Time. Get On The Table And Do Your Thing. Ags
 
I've Driven 100s Of Miles Many Times To Simply WATCH Pool

kildegirl said:
Why Do On Lookers Bother To Watch Players Gamble? What A Total Waste Of Time. Get On The Table And Do Your Thing. Ags


I'll tell you why Mr. Hal Houle... because many (most) sweators don't play the speed of the gamblers and don't gamble (or gamble for very little).
I sweat action matches because it usually brings out the best in players and I appreciate the skill involved with betting your bankroll (or rent) and still being able to pull the trigger on the tough shots.

The really good players play much differently when gambling than they do in tournaments or League play. They're only illiminated when they run out of ammo.

I enjoy players losing the first set and raising the bet for the second set. I enjoy pool and being in a poolroom surrounded by people that feel the same way. I like to listen to 'pool talk' and I like to compare the skill of those I'm watching, to those I've seen play previously and from other eras.

Not everyone plays as well or knows as much about pool as you do and I enjoyed watching and listening to you as well.

Doug
( and there's always the chance that a bad player such as myself, might bet on the right horse and pickup a little cheeeese for themselves )
All imo of course..
 
I Hope You Didn't Stick Your Finger Inuit

Originally Posted by Smorgass Bored
Shouldn't he have been out hunting walrus or seals or sumpin ?
Doug
( don't ask, don't tell )


Johnnyt said:
Eskimo girl....LMAO. Johnnyt


How can you tell the difference, they look so much alike ?
Doug
( OH ! Nevermind.......... :)
 
wincardona said:
Fig,
My proposal applies to anyone my age,crews don't mean much to me after a certain age. Have you ever heard of a late bloomer? Fuhermore certain players from the chopped liver crew (upper half) after they reach 60 play better than some legendary players the same age.I wish I could make an exception ,but it's hard to do that unless you know specifically the quality of the chopped liver.


I can understand that. Sometimes chopped liver can turn out to be foie gras ;-)

Lou Figueroa
 
Alaska

Johnnyt and Nfty9er:

I am from Anchorage - graduated 1964. But I rememebr al of the 4th Ave joints. In 1968 or so I also paid my way on the bar tables. Remember the Montana Club/Malumute/Hunter bar/AlleyCat/Elbow Room/Embers/and a bunch more.

About the only real pool hall was Ford's on 15th and Gamble. There was also the little room on "dead mans curve" in spenard.

Oh - and the old Union Club. We had some sporty players back then. There were also all the ones that went down in the 1964 earthquake that i don't remember.

I kinda miss Anchorge - but when they renovated 4th Avenue, they took all of the character (and characters, LOL) away.

mark Griffin
 
Pushout said:
Billy,
I'd love to play you some Backgammon. I think I could make a game of it. However, I think you got waaaaaaaaay more gamble than me! I'd probably be seeing the cube so much I'd get dizzy;)

don't play Billy ping-pong. He whipped my butt in Pittsburgh around 1963.
 
Mark Griffin said:
Johnnyt and Nfty9er:

I am from Anchorage - graduated 1964. But I rememebr al of the 4th Ave joints. In 1968 or so I also paid my way on the bar tables. Remember the Montana Club/Malumute/Hunter bar/AlleyCat/Elbow Room/Embers/and a bunch more.

About the only real pool hall was Ford's on 15th and Gamble. There was also the little room on "dead mans curve" in spenard.

Oh - and the old Union Club. We had some sporty players back then. There were also all the ones that went down in the 1964 earthquake that i don't remember.

I kinda miss Anchorge - but when they renovated 4th Avenue, they took all of the character (and characters, LOL) away.

mark Griffin

Mark do you happen to know if Tony Softa is up in Alaska and still playing pool? Last I heard from him he was retiring and moving back up there but I haven't heard from him in a while. I was stationed with him in Alaska and we deployed together to the desert. I got a lot of seasoning playing against him. We first went to Saudi and they didn't have any pool tables but we bet on many other things including who could bench press the most and how much concrete barrier weighed. I came out on top a few hundred but then we forward deployed after that base closed down to the United Arab Emirates. They ended up having tables and I lost all of that and then SOME! All part of paying my dues. :)
 
12310bch said:
don't play Billy ping-pong. He whipped my butt in Pittsburgh around 1963.

Funny you should say that. The room where I used to play in Binghamton, NY had ping pong tables for some time. I walked in one Saturday night, I think it was. An older fellow was standing at the counter drinking a cup of coffee. He turned to me as I was passing and said: "Say, you look like a Ping Pong player." I told him I didn't play the game and had no desire to. We talked a bit more and he hit on just about every guy who came in the door with the same line. He finally got some young guy {younger than me, and this was along time ago. When they came back, the young guy as beat and I DO mean beat. The older fellow did this just about every night for the next couple of months and never lost. I think they just played for the time, mostly. The guy's name was Jack Diamond and he was the National Senior Ping Pong Champion. Nice guy, actually.
 
DeadPoked said:
Mark do you happen to know if Tony Softa is up in Alaska and still playing pool?...

Speaking of Alaska, do you have any familiarity with this player? Elmer "Junior" Jueco. I would be interested in learning more about him, if you do. :)

Smorgass Bored said:
Jeez, am I the ONLY one at AZB that can stay On Topic?

Monkey see, monkey do! :o

JAM
 
Mark Griffin said:
J

About the only real pool hall was Ford's on 15th and Gamble.

mark Griffin
What a great location for a pool room. :D

Too bad 15th street wasn't named Gettup. I can see the slogan now:

"Come to Ford's Pool Room on the corner of Gettup and Gamble !":D
 
Deadpoked and Jam

Tony Softa - I know him quite well. He and Barb (wife) used to come down to Vegas every year. He still lives in Alaska - but out in the Valley (Palmer-Wasilla). He did his 20 and is now an IT /networking guy for one of the oil companies - making big bucks. I moved 3-4 years ago and have talked to him - but do not know if he is till playing much. Contact me if you want his phone number - I d o not know it but can get it.

Jam- I have known Junior and his dad (Elmer) for a ong time. I guess you should IM me (or call 702-719-7665/812-987-1461 cell) and I'll see if I can get you what you need. I only see him about once a year - either in Vegas or at DCC. He had a big potential!

Mark Griffin
 
Thanks for the jog

Mark Griffin said:
Johnnyt and Nfty9er:

I am from Anchorage - graduated 1964. But I rememebr al of the 4th Ave joints. In 1968 or so I also paid my way on the bar tables. Remember the Montana Club/Malumute/Hunter bar/AlleyCat/Elbow Room/Embers/and a bunch more.

About the only real pool hall was Ford's on 15th and Gamble. There was also the little room on "dead mans curve" in spenard.

Oh - and the old Union Club. We had some sporty players back then. There were also all the ones that went down in the 1964 earthquake that i don't remember.

I kinda miss Anchorge - but when they renovated 4th Avenue, they took all of the character (and characters, LOL) away.

mark Griffin

I had no chance to remember those old hangouts names. Thanks for naming them. I played mostly in the day rooms at Elmendorf for the cash. Easy action. I was too young to go in bars in Calif. at the time so never learned bar tables, so stayed away from that as never trusted the locals downtown. I think I had my initials carved in most of those places and was real saddened by the earthquake after I returned to the lower states. I also used to go hang out at your high school assembly's to try to meet girls since Anchorage plus two bases of servicemen was a lot of competition. It was innovative and it worked. lol.
 
Cool that people mentioned alaska, just a couple of days ago I met a straight shooter named george who came from that area. He went on to frequent one of the pool halls in chicago where he says he got to watch efren, parica, and other legends play all the time. He even mentioned that there was this one guy who used to play efren for big money, a fella with a kind of droopy mustache... he couldn't remember the name, and I tried to jog his memory, then hazarded the guess "Billy Incardona?" ... he jumped up and says YES BILLY CARDONE. He remembered that billy was fearless gambling with even the best, even when he had the worst of it (tho I think the guy said efren gave him the 6-out, but hell... I'd run away from that game for sure. No offense if I don't have the spot correct =) )
 
Craig said:
I dont know how old you are Billy. But a while back ( Squirrel ) Marshal Capenter was looking for One Pocket Action Im sure he may be older but may be action. I have nothing on either side just a suggestion.


Marshal is 10 or more years older than `no saint billy` cardone and needs
10-7 and still no guarentee.He may have a chance with 10-6.I played marshal and never played `no saint Billy` but I know his game.:cool:
 
Sooooo

this topic has become way off...SOooooo does anyone have a match for Bill? he is in my opinion a well respected man of the game and I wish I had enough game + wallet to play him. i just wanna see him get some action...Good Luck Bill.:p
 
Back
Top