Forward balance or rear balanced?

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i am sorry to continue this
but i do not think i over reacted
can anyone really tell someone else why they prefer one thing over another??
the op can get the pros and cons of rear vs forward weighted cues
but does that really answer the question why HE likes it?
i will say it again
only he knows why
the rest is purely conjecture
no bold type /no capital letters
is that better?

No worries, and I see your point but, as much as you despise people coming on and asking about which tip is best, I despise newbies coming on and getting hammered because they didn't know the right question to ask ;)

From here - bygones.

Enjoy the rest of your day :)

Reactions: bbb

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
the op has gotten alot of replies regarding the balance point posters like and why
only the op can decide which reply resonates with him
edit
i was typing while you posted above
have good night
the end....:):)

cuesblues

cue accumulator
Silver Member
Interesting no one has asked, what is considered rear/neutral/forward?
IMO
Rear balanced is anything less than 18"
Neutral is 18-20"
Forward is greater than 20"

I'm in the neutral camp. Rear balance cues make me feel like the tip of the cue is always coming up off my bridge. Forward balanced gives me no feel.

My .02, fyi, no refunds
If the shaft weighs 20% of the overall weight of the cue it rear weighted

If the shaft is 30% of the overall weight of the cue It is front weighted

If the shaft is 25% of the overall weight of the cue it is evenly weighted

mr3cushion

Regestered User
Silver Member
If the shaft weighs 20% of the overall weight of the cue it rear weighted

If the shaft is 30% of the overall weight of the cue It is front weighted

If the shaft is 25% of the overall weight of the cue it is evenly weighted
My cue is 56" a 3C cue. 526 grams.

Butt: 416 grams/with rubber grips. Length 28".
Shafts: 108-110 grams. Length 28".

Center balanced 97+%.

cuesblues

cue accumulator
Silver Member
My cue is 56" a 3C cue. 526 grams.

Butt: 416 grams/with rubber grips. Length 28".
Shafts: 108-110 grams. Length 28".

Center balanced 97+%.
I guessed at the common denominator
With so many variables you couldn't possibly put a percentage on it.

Forward-weighted and evenly weighted cues are typically ordered by players who already know which cuemaker they want to work with and can be a highly engineered cue.
Rear weighted cues should be easy to figure out and obtain anywhere.
The balance point is not a legitimate question, although we do check it once in a while as a guideline while we are building a cue

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
Well that's why you like rear weighted cues. Your bridge is so long. Especially for only being 5 inches tall.
Was "height" what he referred to or "length"? Even at that, it could have been an exaggeration. (n) (thumb length)

Last edited:

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
i dont think my post was holier than thou or really disrespectful
i just stated my point of view and emphasized the important parts
my response to the ops reply also was not disrespectful or calling him any names
i just corrected his snide remark calling me "kid"
that i wasnt a kid
his childish reply of "take a nap grandpa" i laughed at if you look below his post
i took it for what it was.............. a childish response
and did not pursue it with a retort as it wasnt/isnt worth my time.
i appreciate your concern for my well being.....(y)(y)(and i mean that sincerely )
I'm thinking about starting private tutoring classes on "how to get under the skin and making brains explode" for various internet forum members that don't like doing it. YOU won't have to pursue it with a retort because all retorts and situations will be cataloged and easily copy and pasted. No energy, no emotions, no raised blood pressure, just business as usual. Sure, there are some responses that take it to the edge for a potential ban or an actual one, but when that happens it's because you REALLY got to them, and they cried and whined like little babies by reporting it to a mod. Those are the most gratifying. Please contact in private. I have new classes starting in the middle or March. :cool::ninja::sneaky:

• Haha

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i am sorry to continue this
but i do not think i over reacted
can anyone really tell someone else why they prefer one thing over another??
the op can get the pros and cons of rear vs forward weighted cues
but does that really answer the question why HE likes it?
i will say it again
only he knows why
the rest is purely conjecture
no bold type /no capital letters
is that better?
you called it like you saw it. i saw no problem with your post(s). no need to apologize for squat. the thin-skinned/easily butthurt need to go find their mommy to hold their hand. there's a new drug out called 'GROWACET' that some need to possibly look at.

• Haha

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
Depends on if you ever adjust your playing hand a lot or not.

I adjust mine often depending on required bridge length for shot.
But you're moving your back hand forward on the butt when you shorten your bridge point to keep your hand span the same, I would think that has a much bigger affect on how the balance point feels when shooting. That's purely a guess though.

Texas3cushion

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
But you're moving your back hand forward on the butt when you shorten your bridge point to keep your hand span the same, I would think that has a much bigger affect on how the balance point feels when shooting. That's purely a guess though.
Definitely affects how balance points feels.

And when the weight is more forward you have a larger margin for places you can put your hand while the balance still feels comfortable.

I.e. take a rear weighted cue and put your playing hand right above the grip (assuming you have one), and shoot a short ticky shot like that. It's hard to control with a butt heavy cue.

Last edited:

pvc lou

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
the op has gotten alot of replies regarding the balance point posters like and why
only the op can decide which reply resonates with him
edit
i was typing while you posted above
have good night
the end....:):)
Kick his a$$ Larry!

You're nice, but let'em know that you can be nasty! (Like me :p)

• Love

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
It pays to remember that while we call out the distance to the balance point from the butt, we measure it from the tip. My sixty inch cue has a 20-21" balance point. Measuring from the tip, I find that a very typical balance point.

I don't care for a nose heavy cue but I hate a nose light cue always wanting to lift out of an open bridge.

At a guess as to where somebody else likes a cue to balance look at primarily your grip hand and secondarily your bridge length.

Hu