FOULS IN POOL ... Everything You Need to Know

Dan Harriman

One of the best in 14.1
Silver Member
Illustrated principles, David G ='s David Guiterrez - Top professional player. Top ten things amateur's do wrong when reading news about Sports History and proper Pocket billiard Record keeping, #1} trusting the news source - without seeing proof.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Ok Doctor Dave, I just have one more question. Would you call john's accomplishment - a New World Record of 626?

I do, but I don't feel strongly about it either way. What I do know for sure is that what John did was an amazing accomplishment and it deserves respect.

Dan Harriman

One of the best in 14.1
Silver Member
I do, but I don't feel strongly about it either way. What I do know for sure is that what John did was an amazing accomplishment and it deserves respect.
When I was a young shaver I fell on my bike (trying to ride opposite handed - poor idea) went to the doctor and he said me arm was broke, he even did an x ray. My Mom noted that I could move my arm freely and thought she would get a 2nd opinion, the doctor was persistent that we get a cast (revenue). Turns out my Arm was just slightly sprained - not broken at all, my Mom was smart not to accept just any medical opinion. Thank u very much Dr Dave. Similar to my arm NOT being broken - neither has Mosconi's 526 been broken - you have no x ray vision here dr. dave, I learned from the common sense of my Mom - to not accept - all medical advice - without first thinking for myself. 2nd Doctor was Legit - he asked for the 1st doc's name, he said some doctors are in it for revenue and that it had to be reported. I would have worn a cast on my arm for a long time unnecessarily - wow. bca and poor scmidty would ask many of us to wear their phony 626 cast - with their phony little theater - ha ha. It would seem many are asking for a 2nd opinion. I say the bca and those who support that Mosconi's 526 has been surpassed - without first seeing unedited proof are trying to get Open Public in a cast of corrupt revenue - Mosconi's 526 - HAS NOT BEEN BROKEN - definitely a news media foul.

Last edited:

Dan Harriman

One of the best in 14.1
Silver Member
You're welcome. I aim to swerve. :geek:
Thanks - I will stay in my lane, I know the ride can get bumpy but my hand is steady and I real eyes yer not a good player, just another amateur tryin to sell yer x ray's to the Open and Semi Open public. I stand corrected on the vibes, u lost yer David status - u no star - just another first hand political correct opinion. keep selling yer x ray's - there will be plenty of people who are injured - n terms of knot' be in able 2think for themselves. Just some illustrated principles - I thought I would share with ya. :)

Last edited:

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
This thread could serve as such a "set of recommendations by outsiders." I will also continue to add to the list of suggestions at the bottom of the rules resource page.

Does anybody else have any suggestions for rules improvements to add?

Getting back on topic, does anybody have any rules changes to suggest that are not already listed at the bottom of the rules resource page?

Thanks,
Dave

Dan Harriman

One of the best in 14.1
Silver Member
Congatulations dr dave - on 'gaining functionality' in our billiard instruction dept. Thanks for lettin me VENT my VEEB, I am thinkin bout having some t-shirts made as well. I think we need a Cap for the crooked Mugs pushing their 626 x ray's and Posters on Open Public. adios doc -that's everthang u need to know.

Last edited:

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Congatulations dr dave - on 'gaining functionality' in our billiard instruction dept. Thanks for lettin me VENT my VEEB, I am thinkin bout having some t-shirts made as well. I think we need a Cap for the crooked Mugs pushing their 626 x ray's and Posters on Open Public. adios doc.

You're welcome, and best regards. (and thanks for the acronym "plugs") :)

Dan Harriman

One of the best in 14.1
Silver Member
You're welcome, and best regards. (and thanks for the acronym "plugs") :)
I have a couple questions 4 the - 'Real Record' here Dave and I will leave it alone, is your official stance - that you don't feel strongly about knowing whether or not the 626 story that bca,j.s,c.w., and mark griffin are pushing is actually real? So just to clarify here - would you say that you do not care if the bca - CLAIM - that Willie Mosconi's World Record mark of 526 has been surpassed - is actually true? Also should the Open Public be allowed to see unedited footage of this elusive 626 from john schmitt claim - in disc form and for sale to Open Public? Are myself and others wrong for asking the bca - to submit the 626 'red tape' as tangible evidence to back up their Claim? Just a few pertinent questions - if you don't mind answering - I promise (my word is good) to have no other follow up questions. Just genuinely interested in your answer, as you are the modern day online Pocket Billiard lesson guy. So these are not top ten things I need to know - just a few thangs that DO need clarification. Thank you for yer honest reply - in advance - I aim to be Honest Indian. I maintain that a serious foul has been committed against proper 14.1 Pocket Billiard - Adjudication. I also think the bca/j.s/nytime,c.w/mark griffin - should have to prove (in the form of unedited video footage they HAVE - what they are claiming as factually based journalism - they are trying to sell to public.

Last edited:

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
I have a couple questions 4 the - 'Real Record' here Dave and I will leave it alone, is your official stance - that you don't feel strongly about knowing whether or not the 626 story that bca,j.s,c.w., and mark griffin are pushing is actually real? So just to clarify here - would you say that you do not care if the bca - CLAIM - that Willie Mosconi's World Record mark of 526 has been surpassed - is actually true. Also should the Open Public should be allowed to see unedited footage of this elusive 626 from john schmitt claim - in disc form and for sale to Open Public? Also am I and others wrong for asking the bca - to submit the 626 'red tape' as tangible evidence to back up their Claim? Just a few pertinent questions - if you don't mind answering - I promise (my word is good) to have no other follow up questions. Just genuinely interested in your answer, as you are the modern day online Pocket Billiard lesson guy. So these are not top ten things I need to know - just a few thangs that DO need clarification. Thank you for yer honest reply - in advance - I aim to be Honest Indian. I maintain that a serious foul has been committed against proper 14.1 Pocket Billiard - Adjudication. I also think the bca/nytime,c.w/mark griffin - should have to prove (in the form of unedited video footage they HAVE - what they are claiming as factually based journalism.

Please discontinue bringing this up in this thread. I have no interest in answering your questions on this unrelated topic. If I did, I would have participated in the threads dealing with this issue.

Dan Harriman

One of the best in 14.1
Silver Member
Please discontinue bringing this up in this thread. I have no interest in answering your questions on this unrelated topic. If I did, I would have participated in the pertinent threads.
Well the question does seem pertinent to what should be legal and what should not, I feel a foul has been committed, obviously 'you knot' hear on this forum to explore - all the possible fouls eerily related to Pocket Billiards or maybe my question does not fit into your narrative of celling yer instruct dvd's. Oh no more likes from u dr.davey? My lesson 4 u is completed, I do find it odd that you have no opinion on the subject - maybe u too are apart of the bca's cancel culture. I believe in seeing proof that Mosconi's 526 has been surpassed - Superstition ain't my way - uh little to swervee' for me - I prefer to keep it between the honest lines. Would not have been polytickly correct for u to have had a an answer, funny the question I posed did not seem loaded. Not really sure yer the guy to teach our younger generation anythang bout pocket billiards - if u have so much trouble answering a simple question about proper Pocket billiard Adjudication. Adios - see ya in funny papers dr.dave, at least - unlike the bca - u do have some dvd for sale to Open public - maybe u should be like the bca and only offer yer product - to the Semi Public. Again this is everythang' y'all need to know, bumped u to the curb ha ha.

Thanks, Dan Harriman - The Springfield Rifle (Victorious Mosconi Cup Team Member)

Last edited:

gerryf

I believe in seeing proof that Mosconi's 526 has been surpassed
Hey Danny! Fancy meeting you here!

I gather you're trying to go anywhere you can to allege fraud and conspiracy about John Schmidt's record breaking run. Other people have pointed out that you have a fragile ego, but maybe there are more descriptive terms.

Is it true you've printed up your diatribe and posted it on the community bulletin board at your grocery store? On telephone poles above the Lost Cat notices?

But you still haven't done a thing to go see the John Schmidt video for yourself?

Ha! Ha! Wow!

eddiethelock

Locksmith
Silver Member
I just posted a new video as part of my "Everything You Need to Know" series that demonstrates everything you need to know about how to identify, detect, and avoid fouls in pool. Here it is:

Topics covered (with YouTube time-stamp links) include:
- legal shot (0:21)
- double hit (3:26)
- double hit detection (5:10)
- double hit avoidance (6:57)
---- small-gap angled hit (7:01)
---- elevated cue (7:14)
---- inside vs. outside spin (7:40)
---- short bridge and stroke (8:22)
---- small-gap grip tighten (8:30)
---- highly elevated cue (8:43)
---- hand against the rail (9:08)
---- reverse stroke with cue resting on table (9:28)
---- frozen CB shots (9:52)
-------- twice-as-full aiming system (10:58)
---- elevated follow shot (11:42)
- wrong ball first (12:37)
---- watching CB motion (12:53)
---- watching OB motion (13:31)
---- 3-frozen-OB proposition (14:10)
- miscue fouls (15:59)
---- herding unsportsmanlike intentional miscue foul (16:47)
---- cue lift unsportsmanlike intentional miscue foul (17:15)
---- unsportsmanlike intentional miscue safety foul (17:38)
---- illegal "scoop" jump shot (17:55)
- push shot (18:37)
---- push past frozen ball proposition (19:37)
- Pool Rules Quiz (20:01)

Please let me know if you have any feedback, comments, or questions. Also let me know if you think I left out anything important.

I wish all league players could somehow be required to watch this video. If they did, there would probably be fewer misunderstandings, disagreements, and arguments. It always shocks me how little most league players (even many good players) know about this important stuff.

Enjoy,
Dave

PS: FYI, all of the rules and fouls in the video are based on the standard WPA World Standardized Rules (the "official rules of pool"). APA, BCAPL, and VNEA league rules deviate slightly, but not by much. A good summary of all important differences can be found here:

PS: Here's another set of important "unwritten rules:"

here's one that won't make the page cause no one would expect this sht. guy calls a foul when i'm removing magic rack and touched another ball with it.. the same move as a ref adn acting like a ref by removing it

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
here's one that won't make the page cause no one would expect this sht. guy calls a foul when i'm removing magic rack and touched another ball with it.. the same move as a ref adn acting like a ref by removing it

This is already covered well and completely in WPA Regulation 4. Check it out.

MrKnives

I’m not sure I understand what may or may not pertain to marking a shot? If your opponent uses chalk on his cue to mark a spot on the rail he wants to aim for, is this legal?

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I’m not sure I understand what may or may not pertain to marking a shot? If your opponent uses chalk on his cue to mark a spot on the rail he wants to aim for, is this legal?
That would be a foul. If you use your cue stick to plan out bank shots, you need to be careful about what you touch with your tip.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is already covered well and completely in WPA Regulation 4. Check it out.
I just read the whole rule 4, and it doesn't state anything about what's a foul with respect to when removing the rack from the table. All it says is if there are interfering balls, the opponent or referee must remove the rack.