from the 80's glass shaved shafts

alphadog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Played in first Miller-Lite World Series of Tavern Pool ,seems I remember a
exhibitor hawking triangular shafts! Traditional shaft that was "hand shaved"
with a piece of glass.
Anybody else recall this or maybe have more info? Thanks,Jack
 
That is interesting but about 12 years after the fact! Shaft was supposed to fit a closed bridge better then a round shaft. How long did it take for you to form a closed bridge,hold it in the air,and say maybe a triangle shaft would fit better!
 
I'll bite. Have you ever tried to twist a triangle with a closed bridge? There are many times I twist the cue on impact with the cue ball, something that would be impossible with a closed bridge and a triangle shaft. At times I also rotate my cue in my bridge just before shooting which would also be impossible with a triangle shaft. JMO, but if it worked the pro's would be using them and in 40 plus years of playing pool I've never seen one...
 
I'll bite. Have you ever tried to twist a triangle with a closed bridge? There are many times I twist the cue on impact with the cue ball, something that would be impossible with a closed bridge and a triangle shaft. At times I also rotate my cue in my bridge just before shooting which would also be impossible with a triangle shaft. JMO, but if it worked the pro's would be using them and in 40 plus years of playing pool I've never seen one...

Ok, it's now official. There may be no more evolution of pool equipment, because if someone hasn't come up with it by now then it must be a worthless idea. I guess we're just lucky that LD shafts and layered tips got in just under the wire... :rolleyes:
 
Hand-shaved?

Are you saying that the triangular shafts were made cylindrical on a lathe, then triangulated by shaving off the three sides with glass? Not a planer?
~I have an antique mace with a "spoke-shaved" shaft. From a distance it looks smoothly cylindrical but up close you can see the fine shaved lines less than 1mm wide. I believe this technique involves using a planer to cut the sides off square wood stock. You shave 45 degree cuts off the corners of a rectangle- resulting in an octagon. Then you shave down the 8 corners, and so on until you get a nearly perfect round cylinder. That is what I have in mind as "traditional" dowel making. They used to make wagon spokes that way. My mace has an unusual mace head shaped like a pyramid with concavely grooved steps and a big rectangular piece of leather to strike balls. When I researched this I found nothing about using glass to cut the sides, so you have me curious about this. I do remember the triangular shafts, they looked well made in the ads.
 
Last edited:
Are you saying that the triangular shafts were made cylindrical on a lathe, then triangulated by shaving off the three sides with glass? Not a planer?
~I have an antique mace with a "spoke-shaved" shaft. From a distance it looks smoothly cylindrical but up close you can see the fine shaved lines less than 1mm wide. I believe this technique involves using a planer to cut the sides off square wood stock. You shave 45 degree cuts off the corners of a rectangle- resulting in an octagon. Then you shave down the 8 corners, and so on until you get a nearly perfect round cylinder. That is what I have in mind as "traditional" dowel making. They used to make wagon spokes that way. My mace has an unusual mace head shaped like a pyramid with concavely grooved steps and a big rectangular piece of leather to strike balls. When I researched this I found nothing about using glass to cut the sides, so you have me curious about this. I do remember the triangular shafts, they looked well made in the ads.

the hand planer you talk about is referred to as a spoke shave.....and also a draw knife
 
I really believe the shafts were shaved with a curves peice of glass. Glass can be sharper then metal so the vendor was stressing the work as non-sressfull to the wood fibers.like many at the tourn. I had a few drinks to support the sponsor,and now wish my memory was sharper,kinda like the glass! I dismissed the trangle concept bevause I felt the hand shaving was artsy-fartsy. Thanks to all,Jack
 
Back
Top