Frost vs Alex - 1 Pocket Match on Monday for $40,000

somms69

escape artist
Silver Member
In my mind someone does pocket 40K. Once you shove that money in the middle it's no longer yours. The only way to put it back in your pocket is by winning. Semantics and perspective lol. Hope you and yours are well :smile:

Todd

I was confused too. Don't feel like the lone soldier! :eek:

If they say they're playing a one pocket match for 40, to me that seems like the winner pockets 40. The "40 in the midde" is not something I would have thought about at first glance. :)

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
Scott's best "move".

Needless to say, it looks like to me I sort of had that game pegged right. My over and under was a landslide.

I have played many hours on that table. I've played Efren lots of times on that very table. That table, when you have been playing on Diamonds and you go to that table, plays entirely different.

I believe Alex had Scott off balance the whole game, and that definitely did play a factor in that set. I was getting a play-by-play from a friend of mine who was there, sweating the match, for a short period of time.

Another thing, in order to beat the Filipinos, you have to be in combat daily. If you're not playing every day, you don't have a chance. Pound for pound, especially somebody like Alex, when Alex is on his game, nobody has to like it, even the best. And when it really comes down to it, Alex is a way better all-around player than Scott anyways.

I don't want to take anything away from Scott. I think that he needs to probably try to play on a Diamond. Everybody is entitled to an off day, and I understand that. That table when it gets wet, if there's a lot of people in the place, it's really tough. I'm sure Alex had more playing time than Scott on that table.

It's like Rory McIlory playing Tiger Woods. Don't think Tiger can't get there just because he lost to Rory once. This match just might wake Scott up, and he may realize how much preparation he will need to knock these guys in the tub.

I wish Scott the best luck in the rematch. I'm sure there will be one somewhere, somehow.

I agree, playing on a Diamond would have been Scott's best "move".

LILJOHN30

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
good post cj,but i think alex can play on a diamond also..but it might give scott the psyc advantage he needs..he def was timid and un comfy last night

wahcheck

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
my 2 cents

In my mind someone does pocket 40K. Once you shove that money in the middle it's no longer yours. The only way to put it back in your pocket is by winning. Semantics and perspective lol. Hope you and yours are well :smile:

Todd

I understand your viewpoint; however, I never liked that perspective....
I first saw it in some High Stakes Poker where 2 players ended up putting
close to $500K into the pot and they titled it a MILLION DOLLAR POT....
Sure, it's a million in the middle, but the winner really only wins $500K...and the loser loses $500K....When they phrase it this way, it makes people think the winner wins a million dollars.....better 'hype semantics', I say........

TheMadScientist

Justin Richardson
Silver Member
I watched the whole match. Alex played pretty good. I would say his A- game. Scott played pretty bad, more like his C+ game. If Scott had played his A- game, he would have won. I can't believe how many short railers he missed and shots during a run. Scott never running 8 and out in a 9 hour session? WTF

Maybe the table was a little too tight...

watchez

What time is it?
Silver Member
I understand your viewpoint; however, I never liked that perspective....
I first saw it in some High Stakes Poker where 2 players ended up putting
close to $500K into the pot and they titled it a MILLION DOLLAR POT....
Sure, it's a million in the middle, but the winner really only wins $500K...and the loser loses $500K....When they phrase it this way, it makes people think the winner wins a million dollars.....better 'hype semantics', I say........

When you play in a pool tournament, with say a $100 entry fee and you get your prize money of $450 for coming in third place......do you tell people you won $450 or $350?

wahcheck

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I tell the truth.....

When you play in a pool tournament, with say a $100 entry fee and you get your prize money of $450 for coming in third place......do you tell people you won $450 or $350?

....I tell people I won $350, because I had to pay $100 for the entry fee....
Is that so unusual?

wahcheck

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
and may I ask you...

....If you put $500 into a poker pot with the other guy putting in the same, and you win; do you say you won $1000?

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
I don't play poker. I see why I'm confused :D.. I play a set/race for $1000.. Is it for a $1000 or is it $2000? So, if half is always wrong,then maybe it's not so cut and dry and clear.

1k a man or 2k in the middle. That way, nobody is asking if it was for 1k or 2k. Like now.

Freddie <~~~ thinks the words after the number is simple clarification

Last edited:

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
....If you put $500 into a poker pot with the other guy putting in the same, and you win; do you say you won $1000?

You won a $1000 pot. I think that's pretty consistent across the country. Corrections anyone?

Freddie <~~~ isn't making the rules

Jimmy M.

Insomniac
Silver Member
Needless to say, it looks like to me I sort of had that game pegged right. My over and under was a landslide.

I have played many hours on that table. I've played Efren lots of times on that very table. That table, when you have been playing on Diamonds and you go to that table, plays entirely different.

I believe Alex had Scott off balance the whole game, and that definitely did play a factor in that set. I was getting a play-by-play from a friend of mine who was there, sweating the match, for a short period of time.

Another thing, in order to beat the Filipinos, you have to be in combat daily. If you're not playing every day, you don't have a chance. Pound for pound, especially somebody like Alex, when Alex is on his game, nobody has to like it, even the best. And when it really comes down to it, Alex is a way better all-around player than Scott anyways.

I don't want to take anything away from Scott. I think that he needs to probably try to play on a Diamond. Everybody is entitled to an off day, and I understand that. That table when it gets wet, if there's a lot of people in the place, it's really tough. I'm sure Alex had more playing time than Scott on that table.

It's like Rory McIlory playing Tiger Woods. Don't think Tiger can't get there just because he lost to Rory once. This match just might wake Scott up, and he may realize how much preparation he will need to knock these guys in the tub.

I wish Scott the best luck in the rematch. I'm sure there will be one somewhere, somehow.

I think the table played a huge factor. I'm not saying that it would or wouldn't have turned out the same way on another table, but Scott looked clearly uncomfortable on that table.

By the way, how's it going, Evil?! Do you play anymore?

mikeyfrost

Socially Aware
Silver Member
I watched the whole match. Alex played pretty good. I would say his A- game. Scott played pretty bad, more like his C+ game. If Scott had played his A- game, he would have won. I can't believe how many short railers he missed and shots during a run. Scott never running 8 and out in a 9 hour session? WTF

Maybe the table was a little too tight...

He must have played SVB on the bar table again the night before hahaha

watchez

What time is it?
Silver Member
Yes that's unusual and proof you don't deal with money very often.

Go play somewhere we're busy!!!

Thanks Mikey - this wahcheck is the ONLY person in the world that I have ever heard answer that question like he did. Shows a lot for his character that he had to tell a white lie when proved wrong.

TheMadScientist

Justin Richardson
Silver Member
He must have played SVB on the bar table again the night before hahaha

He didn't look quite that much on tilt, but he didn't look comfortable. And it wasn't like Alex gave him no opportunities. Alex got 2 or 3 real nice rolls early, but after that Scott sure had his chances.

I'm just used to seeing Scott run a lot of balls when he gets his chance. That didn't happen last night.

watchez

What time is it?
Silver Member
Whoever does those stats on the stream matches for break and runs, % of balls made, safeties executed, etc. -- should have done the same last night.

The shot that told me that Scott definitely didn't have his 'A' game. Early on the match, within the first 4 games I think, all the balls are up table except the 8 ball on the spot. The cue ball is up at the top rail. Scott plays the cue ball off one of the balls that are also up table, goes to the side rail and then the cue ball runs smack into the 8 ball on the spot. A player of Scott's caliber when he is on his game should come no where within 18 inches of hitting the lone ball down table that is on the spot. It was then I knew that Scott was in for a long night.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I don't play poker. I see why I'm confused :D.. I play a set/race for $1000.. Is it for a $1000 or is it $2000? So, if half is always wrong,then maybe it's not so cut and dry and clear.

I look at it the way you do.
To me, the bet was $20,000...some people like to enhance.

If I get knocked out in the late stages of a tournament and finish 9th to 12th,
I'll say it, or I finished in the last twelve.
..I know many players that will say they finished 9th....
....tied for 9th I could accept.

I always note this 'ego spin' for future game-making

yobagua

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When playing poker you are computing pot odds. Money in the pot that you might have contributed to is not your money anymore. You dont say, for example, I put $100 into a $400 pot therefore if I bet $100 I have only 3 to 1 odds. No that money is not yours anymore so you have 4 to 1.

Promoters do what they have to do to conjure up facts from truth. So what.
I mean when a pool player wins $20K in a $40K pot we know most likely he doesnt win the whole $20K himself. He probably is being cut up seven different ways. From his backer to his sponsor etc.

If I said I made a $100K last year you know flackin uncle sam gets a huge chunk of it. And I end up with much much less. But that doesnt stop me from saying what I want to say.

mikeyfrost

Socially Aware
Silver Member
I knew Scott was in tough when he never played shape on the balls after any of his short rail banks. Normally he treats those like hangers and plays to run out off of those. Leaving Alex long??? Anyone think thats a winning strategy, Alex made almost every one of those shots. Scott puts people in screwed up spots and you could tell he couldn't get that cue ball quite where he wanted it. Scott's only player that freezes guys under balls down table against the rail regularly. He couldn't do that last night problems with ball speed.

Alex is probably always gonna beat him on a slow tight table. Like everytime. Scott didn't even get to really show his moves I think that table was in his head.