Funny pic/gif thread...

VarmintKong

Cannonball comin’!
giphy.gif
Everybody loves UNCLE JOEY!

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One of my earliest memories is of watching a crop duster beside our farm. He was flying between the barb wire fence and the electric wires to dust a field. In those days of flying the old Waco bi-planes and short poles there was damned little clearance between wheels or top of plane and wire.

Always fascinated by them, never gave it a try! Met an old boy named Unk, they had pulled his ticket due to a bad heart. He told tales of the new hotrod dusters. Those things look more like a fighter than a crop duster. He said the farmer would watch, wanting the poison put in low and slow to get good coverage. Unk did this until the farmer went to lunch, then 200mph passes!

My mom came over one day about this time and I mentioned I thought I would take up crop dusting. She was a bit apprehensive. "When?" I told her I had to get a pilot's license, a couple years experience, and about $50,000 for a decent used plane. "Oh, I thought you meant right now!" That wasn't an unreasonable fear, that is how I took up driving an eighteen wheeler and a stock car, most things I did. Buy or build what I wanted and go. A bit more involved to fly and I never got around to it.

Hu

First time I ever drove a semi was in 1995 when I went on a trip with my dad to the east coast (PA) from Nebraska then back up through Minnesota and back down to Nebraska. Somewhere in MN about 1AM we're driving down the interstate and he says "Wanna drive", well duh...it was a brand new (as in less than 100K on it) 379 Pete with a 500HP CAT and double overdrive 18sp. He slipped out of the seat and I took over and started driving. About an hour into it he decides he's taking a nap and crawls in the back to sleep, well, about an hour after that I'm headed down the road and I see a scale house and it was open - and it was less than a 1/2 mile away - I had never shifted a big truck (some class B stuff though) so I yell at my dad and tell him the scale is open. Within 30 seconds he was out of bed (in his underwear no less) and driving and I was in the passenger seat. His hair was still sticking up and he was still half asleep as we rolled through the scale and just waived.

Got back up to speed and he went back to bed and I drove until the sun came up ;)

Good times...

I got my CDL 6 months later and ultimately got a local driving job that allowed me to take his truck on runs a couple of times a month.