Gabby from Houston.......

Charlie Edwards

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This POS robbed and beat-up an elderly woman that I personally knew. She and her husband were some of the nicest people you could ever meet. She died several years ago. Her husband once told me that the threat and brutality she faced that day effected her the rest of her life.

When she couldn't get her rings off fast enough the beat-down started. He threaten to cut off her finger if she couldn't get them off. Out of her mind with fear, she luckily got them off. But just for good measure he smacked her again before this coward ran off.

If there is any justice this guy will never walk the streets again. A group of his victims and their family and friends swear they will attend each and every parole hearing he ever gets. I wish then luck in keeping him where he belongs.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
This POS robbed and beat-up an elderly woman that I personally knew. She and her husband were some of the nicest people you could ever meet. She died several years ago. Her husband once told me that the threat and brutality she faced that day effected her the rest of her life.

When she couldn't get her rings off fast enough the beat-down started. He threaten to cut off her finger if she couldn't get them off. Out of her mind with fear, she luckily got them off. But just for good measure he smacked her again before this coward ran off.

If there is any justice this guy will never walk the streets again. A group of his victims and their family and friends swear they will attend each and every parole hearing he ever gets. I wish then luck in keeping him where he belongs.

Parole hearing for a corpse? I think he's dead, killed in prison years ago. If he's alive, he just had a great resuscitation. Too many people from Texas that knew Gabby told me he was dead. All of a sudden he sprang back to life. Miraculous!

dardusm

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Parole hearing for a corpse? I think he's dead, killed in prison years ago. If he's alive, he just had a great resuscitation. Too many people from Texas that knew Gabby told me he was dead. All of a sudden he sprang back to life. Miraculous!

Looks like the rumors of his demise were exaggerated. I remember hearing rumors that Rafeal Martinez had passed away. Not the case, he just was in Mexico. If you do a search as mentioned by some in this thread, you can find the details of his incarceration.

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
So, a length of sentence means he'll probably never get out. If he does, it'll be straight from prison to the nursing home.

Mugging old ladies for jewelry. Yep, that's pretty low.

BillPorter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just added information I discovered in this thread to the photo of Gabby taken back in the 1980s at a Reds tournament in Houston, TX. Here's the photo:

71488118_5wVE8-O.jpg

poolhustler

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Anyone who thinks it is "strange" or "funny" that this guy may never get out of prison is f*cking stupid.

He would drive around, look for old women driving nice cars, follow them home or get one of the other people involved in the crimes to run their license plates to find their residences, beat the sh*t out of them, and take their jewelry.

I don't care if the guy could save dying babies, you do this sort of thing, you deserve to lose your freedom forever. Additionally, someone should be going into his cell on a regular basis, beating the sh*t out of him, and taking any and all belongings he has while in prison.

Good riddance.

I concur. What a POS. He should die in prison.

tattoo

Tatuaje in the house🤘🏻
Silver Member
I don't recognize that name. I knew him as Larry Hill.

mouise was the name he went by when he was in houston in the 90s....i watched him play a bunch....not many people called him that but that was the name on his driver license.....anyways it is what it is.....and he is paying for it...only god can judge him in the end.....

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
mouise was the name he went by when he was in houston in the 90s....i watched him play a bunch....not many people called him that but that was the name on his driver license.....anyways it is what it is.....and he is paying for it...only god can judge him in the end.....

I played him in L.A. and Bakersfield in the 70's. He never said a word, just ran out all day! :rolleyes:
He was an excellent 9-Ball player, right there with the top guys. He gambled with some stars down in Houston at Red's. Playing even!

I found his later-to-be girlfriend (Sherri Hudson) shooting pool in a little poolroom in Oxnard, CA. They put her in action against me about 15 years ago. She played surprisingly good, so I invited her to play at a WPBA event in Los Angeles. After that, she played on the tour for a couple of years and had some high finishes. Then she met Gabby in Texas and picked up some bad habits. I saw her a few years back at the BCA tourney and she did well there too. Wonder what became of her?

Jim Buss

Registered
I saw Gabby play while I lived in Houston. I played him a couple of times in local tournaments. He was the poster child for consistency. His stroke never varied. His warmup strokes went this way. One stroke, second stroke, third stroke, short fourth stroke, followed with a hesitation. Then on the fifth stroke, he hit the ball.

If something didn't feel right by then, he stopped, rechalked, and did the whole thing over.

He always had money, and jewelery. Nobody ever knew where it came from. We knew some of it came from pool, even the best pool players weren't able to carry that much money, or wear that much bling. I just figured he was dealing drugs, or perhaps had a stable of girls working for him. I never even thought he was beating up 80 year old women who were living alone. He is getting what he deserves. I hope he's rooming with Bubba!!!

--JIM BUSS--
http://www.jimbuss.com

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
I just added information I discovered in this thread to the photo of Gabby taken back in the 1980s at a Reds tournament in Houston, TX. Here's the photo:

71488118_5wVE8-O.jpg

That's our man Island Drive behind him with the cue slung over his shoulder. :smile:

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
Here's a link to his incarceration details. Real name Mouise Pouncey, age 63. It appears he is still alive, serving a 40 year sentence and will have a parole hearing in a few months.

https://offender.tdcj.texas.gov/OffenderSearch/offenderDetail.action?sid=03774653

None of the articles I read stated that he cut off a woman's finger (which was the pool room gossip). I read that he and an accomplice followed elderly women from affluent neighborhoods and jumped them (often brutally) , usually in their garages, pulling off their jewelry and wedding rings.

Here's one article with a lot of detail: http://www.chron.com/neighborhood/b...icted-in-string-of-area-robberies-9745545.php

Jeweler convicted in string of area robberies

By: ANNE MARIE KILDAY, Staff Writer

Published 7:00 pm, Wednesday, April 30, 2003

Nearly 10 years ago, an employee of River Oaks Jewelry began to suspect her boss was selling diamond wedding rings stolen from elderly women who had been brutally attacked in a series of highly publicized armed robberies.

The woman confronted Kenneth Roberts, owner of the store at 2607 Richmond Avenue. He ignored her concerns.

Roberts, 64, was convicted last week in federal court of conspiring to and laundering the proceeds of armed robberies, which took place between 1993 and 1998.

The employee testified in court that the two men who presented themselves with diamonds for sale appeared suspicious, said Angie Herrera, a spokeswoman for the U.S. Attorneys office in Houston.

Assistant U.S. Attorney John Lewis, who headed the prosecution team, argued to the jury that if Roberts had heeded his employees advice, many of the robberies might have been prevented, and many of the victims would have been saved from the brutal attacks. During the three-week trial, the jury heard about the string of robberies. Many Houston women stopped wearing their jewelry in public places during the string of robberies

The victims were women, ranging in age from 61 to 88, whose diamond wedding rings were stolen. Many of the women were brutally attacked and some suffered broken bones, police said. About 40 women were followed home from department stores or grocery stores by two men later convicted of armed robbery.

Mouise Pouncey, 47, pleaded guilty to one count of armed robbery in the 184th State District Court in March 1999. He is currently serving a 40-year sentence in the Texas Department of Corrections.

Carlton Keith Jackson, 46, was convicted of armed robbery in the 337th State District Court and was sentenced to 20 years. He is currently serving a 19-year sentence in the Federal Bureau of Prisons for the distribution of crack cocaine.

Jacksons wife, Lisa Renee Jackson, was convicted of aggravated robbery and sentenced in 1999 to 40 years in connection with the robberies.

A former employee of the Houston municipal court, Lisa Jackson allegedly used a computer at work to look up addresses of elderly women so that her husband could rob them. Authorities said the pair attacked the victims in their garages.

They then took the diamonds to Roberts. He purchased some of the stolen diamonds and sold them, giving Pouncey and Jackson a share of the proceeds. The rings had an estimated value of $1 million. The Internal Revenue Service Criminal Investigations and the Houston Police Department worked together in the investigation. Roberts purchased the rings without keeping legally required records of the purchases.

U.S. District Judge Lee Rosenthal scheduled Roberts to be sentenced Aug. 7. Roberts faces up to 20 years in prison and a fine up to $500,000 on each of the two counts.

Roberts, who was arrested in July 2002, is free on $50,000 bail. His attorney John Maunier has said he plans to appeal

Last edited:

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here's a link to his incarceration details. Real name Mouise Pouncey, age 63. It appears he is still alive, serving a 40 year sentence and will have a parole hearing in a few months.

https://offender.tdcj.texas.gov/OffenderSearch/offenderDetail.action?sid=03774653

None of the articles I read stated that he cut off a woman's finger (which was the pool room gossip). I read that he and an accomplice followed elderly women from affluent neighborhoods and jumped them (often brutally) , usually in their garages, pulling off their jewelry and wedding rings.

Here's one article with a lot of detail: http://www.chron.com/neighborhood/b...icted-in-string-of-area-robberies-9745545.php

Jeweler convicted in string of area robberies

By: ANNE MARIE KILDAY, Staff Writer

Published 7:00 pm, Wednesday, April 30, 2003

Nearly 10 years ago, an employee of River Oaks Jewelry began to suspect her boss was selling diamond wedding rings stolen from elderly women who had been brutally attacked in a series of highly publicized armed robberies.

The woman confronted Kenneth Roberts, owner of the store at 2607 Richmond Avenue. He ignored her concerns.

Roberts, 64, was convicted last week in federal court of conspiring to and laundering the proceeds of armed robberies, which took place between 1993 and 1998.

The employee testified in court that the two men who presented themselves with diamonds for sale appeared suspicious, said Angie Herrera, a spokeswoman for the U.S. Attorneys office in Houston.

Assistant U.S. Attorney John Lewis, who headed the prosecution team, argued to the jury that if Roberts had heeded his employees advice, many of the robberies might have been prevented, and many of the victims would have been saved from the brutal attacks. During the three-week trial, the jury heard about the string of robberies. Many Houston women stopped wearing their jewelry in public places during the string of robberies

The victims were women, ranging in age from 61 to 88, whose diamond wedding rings were stolen. Many of the women were brutally attacked and some suffered broken bones, police said. About 40 women were followed home from department stores or grocery stores by two men later convicted of armed robbery.

Mouise Pouncey, 47, pleaded guilty to one count of armed robbery in the 184th State District Court in March 1999. He is currently serving a 40-year sentence in the Texas Department of Corrections.

Carlton Keith Jackson, 46, was convicted of armed robbery in the 337th State District Court and was sentenced to 20 years. He is currently serving a 19-year sentence in the Federal Bureau of Prisons for the distribution of crack cocaine.

Jacksons wife, Lisa Renee Jackson, was convicted of aggravated robbery and sentenced in 1999 to 40 years in connection with the robberies.

A former employee of the Houston municipal court, Lisa Jackson allegedly used a computer at work to look up addresses of elderly women so that her husband could rob them. Authorities said the pair attacked the victims in their garages.

They then took the diamonds to Roberts. He purchased some of the stolen diamonds and sold them, giving Pouncey and Jackson a share of the proceeds. The rings had an estimated value of $1 million. The Internal Revenue Service Criminal Investigations and the Houston Police Department worked together in the investigation. Roberts purchased the rings without keeping legally required records of the purchases.

U.S. District Judge Lee Rosenthal scheduled Roberts to be sentenced Aug. 7. Roberts faces up to 20 years in prison and a fine up to $500,000 on each of the two counts.

Roberts, who was arrested in July 2002, is free on $50,000 bail. His attorney John Maunier has said he plans to appeal
Still alive huh? I only knew him as a good player. Didn't know he was such a s^*tbag. That Carlton guy the report mentions lived here in Tulsa for a while and was Gabby's stakehorse. He said he owned some nursing homes but eveyone knew he was selling blow to fund the pool $$.

Last edited:

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
Still alive huh? I only knew him as a good player. Didn't know he was such a s^*tbag. That Carlton guy the report mentions lived here in Tulsa for a while and was Gabby's stakehorse. He said he owned some nursing homes but eveyone knew he was selling blow in to fund the pool $$.

Interesting - gotta fund the road life I guess. I saw him once out here in Oxnard playing money games. This was probably in the 1970's. He was a nice looking, well dressed, well mannered pool player. Smooth as glass. Appearances can be deceiving.

dabarbr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would have never suspected that he was anything like this. I played him a couple of times in the 70's. Quite, dressed well, and played real well. You never know about a person.

terryhanna

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I heard he was killed while in jail a few years back.Can anyone confirm that rumor?

aside from maybe Mark Tadd,he was the best black pool player(9b)I have ever seen....

anyone remember Gabby?
He is alive and out of jail.

He is at Legends Billiards now playing in The Houston Open