Galveston $1,000,000.00 tournament

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
Jay Helfert finally calls Joey out...Oh but wait a minute, he does that all the time.

I'm going to get the draw rigged so you and I play in the tournament. And I'm gonna kick your ass! :eek:

If we should play, just to put a little salt on the wound, the wager should be a friendly wager of say $500 each, for the set, winner take all. I will push to have it filmed for posterity so that you will be able to regurgitate your cud (words) day after day, year after year to chew on them, ad infinitum. :p

JoeyA

JoeyA

Silver Member
The only thing I have heard about this from players was in Olathe last week. Most were arguing on the vagueness of what is an amateur player.

And there was concern that the IPT is involved. Makes me wonder now with the superfluous advertising if the IPT was involved from the get go and this is really their baby.

No IPT involvement. My word.

JoeyA

JoeyA

Silver Member
I threw away 3 big sat. dishes that would get shows from all over
the world .Youre post made me realize if I kept one I could watch
some good pool from asia and europe .......oh well

Also I believe some of that video is from the IPT at least
the shot with the guys with the hands on the big trophy . Not casting
any doubt ,looks good, I just have a good memory when it comes to
video .

I don't know for sure but I am betting that the IPT is interested in improving their image amongst pool players and if they have been asked for some of their video for the Taylor Production's Galveston World Classic, they probably gave it freely and without strings simply their way of trying to make amends for things that did not go entirely the way they had planned.

Matt, as much as you like pool, I expect you to be there. Seriously, it may be the best thing that has happened to pool in the past ten years or more.

In fact, I hope that everyone that loves pool will give them a chance to do this again by supporting this tournament with your presence with whatever time you can afford.

If I wasn't playing in any of the events, I would make it my business to be there Thursday, Friday Sat and Sunday 17-20th to watch the finals of all of the tournaments and I would be securing cheap Internet flights to help with the expenses right now and getting a few buddies to share the expenses for a nice condo or hotel. At the very least I would be there the last two days of the tournaments.

This might be your chance for your allotted 15 minutes of fame. :smile:

JoeyA

JoeyA

Silver Member
Very cool. But just curious: how does the math happen? It goes by quickly on the video, but they say something about guaranteed prize money. I think I counted $175K in first place monies -- soooo, does that mean the udder $825K is also guaranteed? And what does guaranteed mean anyway? Is a million in escrow at a bank somewhere? Is any of it in escrow?

And, as I think Lenny asks downstream, it would also be good to know who has paid their entry, to date. Or at least how many are paid, since they're advertising "hundreds" of players competing.

Lou Figueroa
just askin'

Just guessin'..........
I would just guess that the MILLION DOLLARS payout IS the number if full fields were filled for all of the events.

I counted $200,000 in first place money alone, but who's counting?

Please don't tell me you've changed your mind and will now be attending. :p j/k ...You know you're welcome any time.

JoeyA

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just guessin'..........
I would just guess that the MILLION DOLLARS payout IS the number if full fields were filled for all of the events.

I counted $200,000 in first place money alone, but who's counting?

Please don't tell me you've changed your mind and will now be attending. :p j/k ...You know you're welcome any time.

JoeyA

But, but... why do we have to guess?

You come here with all this ballyhoo, posting links and posters and videos and in big caps GO GALVESTON. But just when any *facts* (any facts at all) would help buttress your agitprop, you suddenly run out of gas as their spokesmodel. What's wit that?

In past posts you've demonstrated how much you like to highlight to other posters, ignored questions posed, so here's a couple for you, that you ignored:

What does "guaranteed" mean?

Are *any* of these monies in escrow at a financial institution?

Who and/or how many are paid up entries?

Lou Figueroa
no, no.
don't thank me :)

JoeyA

Silver Member
But, but... why do we have to guess?

You come here with all this ballyhoo, posting links and posters and videos and in big caps GO GALVESTON. But just when any *facts* (any facts at all) would help buttress your agitprop, you suddenly run out of gas as their spokesmodel. What's wit that?

In past posts you've demonstrated how much you like to highlight to other posters, ignored questions posed, so here's a couple for you, that you ignored:

What does "guaranteed" mean?

Are *any* of these monies in escrow at a financial institution?

Who and/or how many are paid up entries?

Lou Figueroa
no, no.
don't thank me :)

Lou,
Get off your lazy arse and go post your questions on their web site. They have a comments section and a Chat room if I am not mistaken.

Maybe you will get your questions answered to your satisfaction but I doubt that. :rolleyes:
JoeyA

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
If we should play, just to put a little salt on the wound, the wager should be a friendly wager of say $500 each, for the set, winner take all. I will push to have it filmed for posterity so that you will be able to regurgitate your cud (words) day after day, year after year to chew on them, ad infinitum. :p

JoeyA

I like your style Joy Boy. See you in Galveston. If you have any other questions you want answered, please go to my website jaysaysfu.com ;)

Fuji-whopper

Fargo: 457...play some?
Silver Member
Trying to round up some cash and sponsors right now to make it to this event, should be great and I hope to compete!!

Fast Lenny

Faster Than You...
Silver Member
Currently Taylor Road Productions has already contracted the Galveston World Classic for 11 hours of televised programming to be broadcasted on ESPN Star throughout Asia, which boasts 40 million households in almost 60 countries. The U.S. distribution will be announced by Taylor Road Productions shortly. Please visit The Galveston World Classic web site for more details.

AND NOW...................July20, 2009
Taylor Road Productions, promoters of the Galveston World Classic, will be announcing a deal for U.S. distribution of televised programming for the event. The event will be held at Moody Gardens in Galveston, TX September 11-20, 2009 and features over $1,000,000 in prize money.

This sounds like it will be something special, just hope it gets some TV time here in the US, amazing that more people in Asia will be watching then where it is actually taking place. I spoke with Scott Frost about the event and he was happy about it, big first place for a one pocket tournament. :smile:

JoeyA

Silver Member
This sounds like it will be something special, just hope it gets some TV time here in the US, amazing that more people in Asia will be watching then where it is actually taking place. I spoke with Scott Frost about the event and he was happy about it, big first place for a one pocket tournament. :smile:

Glad to hear that Scott will be making the trip. I'm sure by the time the dust settles, there will be a LOT of professional players going to this tournament. If the European players can't get waivers to make this tournament I will be personally disappointed as the European players add a different dimension to the tournaments.

some other pros that I have heard that they expressed interest in playing are Ronnie Wiseman and of course Hillbilly, besides the highlighted pros.

If I played on an amateur pool team I would surely be trying to get them to play in this tournament.

JoeyA

AuntyDan

/* Insert skill here */
Silver Member
Just guessin'..........I would just guess that the MILLION DOLLARS payout IS the number if full fields were filled for all of the events.

No need to guess, I've already posted the link once already if anyone cares to visit it, and the math ain't *that* hard. The declared minimum prize payouts are posted here: http://www.theworldclassic.com/payouts. Add it up and, even if every Pro event has a full field of 256 the total payout is $400,265.60. (They claim thus is a MINIMUM and it could be bigger, but I've no idea how they get it to a cool Mill unless they add another $600,000 from somewhere magical, given there's no other income except entry fees.)

Get off your lazy arse and go post your questions on their web site. They have a comments section and a Chat room if I am not mistaken.

Why? I've yet to see a single question about the size, provenance and security of the added funds be answered there. (Although I have to give you props for the correct spelling of the posterior epithet.) As I've already mentioned, if you care to look at the foot of the Payouts page this very question is sitting, unanswered since June 25th, from no less a personage than Jose Parica. (If it be he.) And he is someone to whom the answer actually matters. To me, Lou and everyone else here in the AZB Peanut Gallery (Free admission for members of ANANU*) it makes no odds, except the idle curiosity of just what has got our dear Joey so gosh-danged infatuated about these people.

Either they can't or they won't answer these questions in public. I don't know or care what assurances they've given you or others in private, words aren't worth the paper they aren't written on. Talk (And forum posts) is cheap.

It's just a great shame that Pros are yet again getting asked to throw money and time out into the great unknown in the hopes of getting decent pay day and praying they won't getting ripped off. But then again I suppose if they didn't like gambling with their livelihoods they wouldn't be Pros would they?

*ANANU - Amalgamated Naysayers and Nitpickers Union**
** Not affiliated with TPPODA***
*** The Professional Prophets of Doom Association

Last edited:

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Lou,

Maybe you will get your questions answered to your satisfaction but I doubt that. :rolleyes:
JoeyA

Joey, obviously you don't have the hang of this spokesmodel thing yet. (And by the way, this discussion is happening here, on AZ, in the Main Forum -- not on some other web site where, as Aunty points out, they don't seem to do much of a job answering questions anyway :)

Back to the spokesmodel thing, take a look at what you've been doing, just in this thread. You've opined that players at all levels should be "lining up to get a piece..." That Galveston may be "THE MOST SPECTACULAR EVENT OF THE DECADE." Personally sworn that there is no IPT involvement. And said in one instance that you expected a player to be there while exhorting one and all to support the event.

IMO, when a spokesmodel goes from just presenting the facts, to advocating support, based upon what appears to be pure speculation, it is incumbent upon the spokesmodel to provide some rationale rooted in fact, for the urged support. Otherwise, (particularly when looking at the manner in which you're touting this whole thing) you are no better than the man in front of the tent on the midway :)

"Now folks, behind this curtain you are going to see the most bizarre attraction you have ever seen — and I'm going to introduce her to you all right now. Ladies and gentlemen, meet Galveston! This beautiful lady is our star attraction, but she is so unusual we are banned from advertising her on the outside. And since she is not advertised on the outside, she is not included in your general admission ticket, there is an extra charge for what you are about to see. We make no apology for this policy, because when Galveston goes behind this curtain, and you go with her, you are going to view her entire body, and you will plainly see that, in fact: This may be the greatest pool event of the decade! You've heard your neighbors talking about a billion dollars in prize money -- now you will see Galveston in its entirety, as bare as my right hand that you see before you right here. Now you must be between 18 and 80 years old or older to enter, because if you're under 18 you wouldn't understand it, and if you're over 80 you couldn't stand it. And since we do not wish to embarrass any of you sensitive folks, we have erected a partition down the center of the tent so that the men and women will be separated as they enter. The ladies will go to the right and the men to the left. When you enter I want you to go right up to the edge of the stage. Get as close as you can so that you can see Galveston in every detail as she displays herself to you, unadorned, unashamed, unlike anything you have ever seen before. The fee for this attraction is $200, it's time to go in right now. And those of you who are under 18 years of age, please step down to the other end of the tent where you will be entertained by our magician on the main stage."

So, Joey, you got any facts? Or just the smoke and mirrors?

Lou Figueroa
with apologies to
"Carny Lingo."

Last edited:

JoeyA

Silver Member
Commedienne

Joey, obviously you don't have the hang of this spokesmodel thing yet. (And by the way, this discussion is happening here, on AZ, in the Main Forum -- not on some other web site where, as Aunty points out, they don't seem to do much of a job answering questions anyway :)

Back to the spokesmodel thing, take a look at what you've been doing, just in this thread. You've opined that players at all levels should be "lining up to get a piece..." That Galveston may be "THE MOST SPECTACULAR EVENT OF THE DECADE." Personally sworn that there is no IPT involvement. And said in one instance that you expected a player to be there while exhorting one and all to support the event.

IMO, when a spokesmodel goes from just presenting the facts, to advocating support, based upon what appears to be pure speculation, it is incumbent upon the spokesmodel to provide some rationale rooted in fact, for the urged support. Otherwise, (particularly when looking at the manner in which you're touting this whole thing) you are no better than the man in front of the tent on the midway :)

"Now folks, behind this curtain you are going to see the most bizarre attraction you have ever seen — and I'm going to introduce her to you all right now. Ladies and gentlemen, meet Galveston! This beautiful lady is our star attraction, but she is so unusual we are banned from advertising her on the outside. And since she is not advertised on the outside, she is not included in your general admission ticket, there is an extra charge for what you are about to see. We make no apology for this policy, because when Galveston goes behind this curtain, and you go with her, you are going to view her entire body, and you will plainly see that, in fact: This may be the greatest pool event of the decade! You've heard your neighbors talking about a billion dollars in prize money -- now you will see Galveston in its entirety, as bare as my right hand that you see before you right here. Now you must be between 18 and 80 years old or older to enter, because if you're under 18 you wouldn't understand it, and if you're over 80 you couldn't stand it. And since we do not wish to embarrass any of you sensitive folks, we have erected a partition down the center of the tent so that the men and women will be separated as they enter. The ladies will go to the right and the men to the left. When you enter I want you to go right up to the edge of the stage. Get as close as you can so that you can see Galveston in every detail as she displays herself to you, unadorned, unashamed, unlike anything you have ever seen before. The fee for this attraction is $200, it's time to go in right now. And those of you who are under 18 years of age, please step down to the other end of the tent where you will be entertained by our magician on the main stage."

So, Joey, you got any facts? Or just the smoke and mirrors?

Lou Figueroa
with apologies to
"Carny Lingo."

You make a good commedienne. lol
JoeyA

tonyc

Good Job Joey

I am trying to find some sponsors also at this time to get my entry's paid.
Looking forward to going and playing this event.

JoeyA

Silver Member
Tony Crosby

Good Job Joey

I am trying to find some sponsors also at this time to get my entry's paid.
Looking forward to going and playing this event.

Sniper,
You are a good ambassador for pool in general and play top speed.

A sponsor would be fortunate to have you in their stable.

So you are asking for your entry fee to be paid by a sponsor?

NO other expenses? Just checking????

JoeyA

Roy Steffensen

locksmith
Silver Member
Based on what they have mentioned on their website under payouts, they will pay $ 400 000, IF full field in 10-ball Open (256 players), 8-ball Open (256 players), Women's 9-ball (256 players!!!!!!!) and the one-pocket event (256 players)

i guess the remaining $ 600 000 will be pricemoney in the 8-ball team division and the wheel-chair division... :p

Something just doesn't add up here... I would like to know more