Galveston $1,000,000.00 tournament

watchez

What time is it?
Silver Member
Based on what they have mentioned on their website under payouts, they will pay $ 400 000, IF full field in 10-ball Open (256 players), 8-ball Open (256 players), Women's 9-ball (256 players!!!!!!!) and the one-pocket event (256 players)

i guess the remaining $ 600 000 will be pricemoney in the 8-ball team division and the wheel-chair division... :p

Something just doesn't add up here... I would like to know more

Lou's post was priceless. Good stuff.

Maybe KT will be kicking in an added $600K in bonus money that will be announced at a later date.

If $600K is going to the amateur events, that would be a huge undertaking. I believe the BCA amateur events in Vegas pay out $750K and the APA is over $1 million. Is Galveston trying to say that their event will be this big?

Joey - I missed the # of tables. Are they going to have 300 bar tables at the event?

AuntyDan

/* Insert skill here */
Silver Member
When in doubt stick with the classics:

"You don't know what you're doing, do you?

What do you mean?

Well, you just blew $500 bucks. That kid, he has both arms in traction he beats anybody in the room.

Yeah, he could.

So I'll offer it to you again. I'll play him for $500 bucks. You don't know what to say, do you? Maybe I'm hustling you, maybe I'm not. You don't know, but you should know. If you know that, you know when to say no.

What should I say?

You should say no. Why? Because it's too much money and I'm an unknown."

Tom In Cincy

AKA SactownTom
Silver Member
I'm just guessing but maybe just maybe... the promoters are matching the entry fees with more added money.... or.. (2nd guess here) there is so much TV ad money available... BOOOM... more added money for the tournament.

3rd guess, (less chance of being correct than the first two)
Or, someone hit the Lottery and is just being very generous and adding another $600,000 into the prize money.

What ever the reason... the players will welcome the extra cash.

Great payouts for the players regardless of how the extra $600,000 comes to be.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
I'm just guessing but maybe just maybe... the promoters are matching the entry fees with more added money.... or.. (2nd guess here) there is so much TV ad money available... BOOOM... more added money for the tournament.

3rd guess, (less chance of being correct than the first two)
Or, someone hit the Lottery and is just being very generous and adding another $600,000 into the prize money.

What ever the reason... the players will welcome the extra cash.

Great payouts for the players regardless of how the extra $600,000 comes to be.

What have you been smoking Tom? :eek:
I think you know better than this. I'm taking door #4, none of the above.

In spite of my misgivings about this event, I am going. I want to see what they're doing first hand, and I don't want to miss the opportunity to hang out with my friends. It would be nice to see one more premier pool event in the USA. There aren't many anymore. So I have my fingers crossed.

watchez

What time is it?
Silver Member

In spite of my misgivings about this event, I am going. I want to see what they're doing first hand, and I don't want to miss the opportunity to hang out with my friends. It would be nice to see one more premier pool event in the USA. There aren't many anymore. So I have my fingers crossed.

Say hi to KT for me.

bankout

Registered
Maybe they thought about this whole added money ordeal. With a "million viewers," one dollar donations wouldn't be out of hand :p

Everything sounds legit to me though. Are the amateur events on bar boxes?

Tom In Cincy

AKA SactownTom
Silver Member
I wish I was going and sharing in the festivities.
I can't get off work.
Pls tell everyone I said HI.

AuntyDan

/* Insert skill here */
Silver Member
In spite of my misgivings about this event, I am going. I want to see what they are doing first hand, and I don't want to miss the opportunity to hang out with my friends. It would be nice to see one more premier pool event in the USA. There aren't many anymore. So I have my fingers crossed.

So to summarize; the standard operating procedure applies: Assume the worst but hope for the best. And always make them post the money. Oh wait, never mind, we already know that ain't gonna happen.

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
Lou's post was priceless. Good stuff.

Maybe KT will be kicking in an added $600K in bonus money that will be announced at a later date.

If $600K is going to the amateur events, that would be a huge undertaking. I believe the BCA amateur events in Vegas pay out $750K and the APA is over $1 million. Is Galveston trying to say that their event will be this big?

Joey - I missed the # of tables. Are they going to have 300 bar tables at the event?

Go to their website and get the information from there.

But I don't see why you or Lou would want to know anything if you're not going to go.

It doesn't make sense unless......

JoeyA

Roy Steffensen

locksmith
Silver Member

But I don't see why you or Lou would want to know anything if you're not going to go.

JoeyA

I've been to their website and I only found $ 400 000 in payouts, yet they advertise with $ 1 000 000

I am not going to the event, but I would hate to see my friends in the poolworld end up stiffed, again.

I really do hope this event will be a major success, and I would love to go myself.

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
Trying to round up some cash and sponsors right now to make it to this event, should be great and I hope to compete!!

H Neil,
It should be a big payday. Good luck with your sponsors.

FWIW, I watched you play a lot of TOP SPEED matches at the Gem City Classic.

Good luck.

JoeyA

stuckart

Paint Dry Watching Champ
Silver Member
Pro:
10-ball: $174,377.60
1-Pocket: $78,248.00
8-Ball Open: $94,120.00
Women's 9-ball: $53,520.00
$400,265.60

Then we have these tournaments:

Teams 8-ball: Entry $500/team; $50,000 1st place

Amateur 9-ball: Entry $200; $10,000 1st place

Women's Team 8-ball: Entry $300;

WheelChair 8-ball: Entry $100; $5000 1st place

Women's 8-ball Amateur: Entry $200; $5000 1st place

8-ball Amateur Open: Entry $200; $10,000 1st place

Scotch Doubles: Entry $200;

The total payouts for all these other tournaments are not listed, but easily could push the total payout over $1 million. Right?

watchez

What time is it?
Silver Member

JoeyA

Unless what ....I have no idea what you are getting at.

Read Roy's response. It fits my response as well. I didn't go to the IPT either but I hope I am still allowed to have an opinion. If I am not allowed to have an opinion, than I will leave this thread. I looked on their website, I also see 400K. I look at their video and see it is now inflated to 1 million. I am sorry if it offends you but I think ANY association that this tournament has with the IPT is bad, compounded with the recent new superfluous 1 million dollar amounts and it leaves questions unanswered.

After the tournaments are over, am I allowed to add up the total prizes handed out, subtract what was paid in for entrees, and come up with what was added?

watchez

What time is it?
Silver Member
Taylor Road Productions has posted the following guidelines on the official web site of the Galveston World Classic:

1. Any player may participate in the amateur 9-ball and 8-ball singles events that is not in the top 128 BCA points list.
2. Team players also become qualified if they have been a member of a recognized league within the last 5 years. Currently the recognized leagues are the APA, BCA, ACS, TAP, and VNEA. To have a league recognized that is not part of a system listed, please contact Taylor Road Productions at The Galveston World Classic.

Would you like to know the roster of a team that I know that is entered with some friends of mine?

Roy Steffensen

locksmith
Silver Member
Pro:
10-ball: $174,377.60
1-Pocket: $78,248.00
8-Ball Open: $94,120.00
Women's 9-ball: $53,520.00
$400,265.60

Then we have these tournaments:

Teams 8-ball: Entry $500/team; $50,000 1st place

Amateur 9-ball: Entry $200; $10,000 1st place

Women's Team 8-ball: Entry $300;

WheelChair 8-ball: Entry $100; $5000 1st place

Women's 8-ball Amateur: Entry $200; $5000 1st place

8-ball Amateur Open: Entry $200; $10,000 1st place

Scotch Doubles: Entry $200;

The total payouts for all these other tournaments are not listed, but easily could push the total payout over $1 million. Right?

thanks

It definitely can!

If the payout-structure is the same for the three events with the highest first-price, of the events you now listed, as the events with a published payout, then it will be like this:

Teams 8-ball will have a payout of 174 000, 8-ball and 9-ball amateur will both have 53 000 each. All these are if 256 players. that's 300 000 more.

Then the rest of the tournaments mentioned has payouts of nearly 300 000 in total, if full fields.

stuckart

Paint Dry Watching Champ
Silver Member
Taylor Road Productions has posted the following guidelines on the official web site of the Galveston World Classic:

1. Any player may participate in the amateur 9-ball and 8-ball singles events that is not in the top 128 BCA points list.
2. Team players also become qualified if they have been a member of a recognized league within the last 5 years. Currently the recognized leagues are the APA, BCA, ACS, TAP, and VNEA. To have a league recognized that is not part of a system listed, please contact Taylor Road Productions at The Galveston World Classic.

Would you like to know the roster of a team that I know that is entered with some friends of mine?

I would like to know! Are they all less than Masters Players?

watchez

What time is it?
Silver Member
I would like to know! Are they all less than Masters Players?

By these rules - where does it say less than Master players?

It says you can't be in the BCA top 128 and you have to be on one of the leagues in the last 5 years.

mikeyfrost

Socially Aware
Silver Member

Oh lord I can think of a team from Texas, Oklahoma, and you guys in the MO probably can make a sick team to go ruin the event. Lord know Jason Kirkwood probably rounded up a team. I can't do this there are gonna be guys playing amateur tourneys that havent been able to play an amateur tourney in 10 years. I know Chad Vilmont and Jamie Barracks are gonna be excited if they hear this news.

You know how many BCA Grandmaster players there are that arent in the top 128 mens point lists? Some will donate just to say they played...however you are not gonna fill out fields when guys know they're going against pure monsters that can walk into any pool room in the country and not be an underdog. Gimme a break. So many "pros" will be elated to find out they are actually amateurs! Cool stuff. Now I gotta follow this thread because I think the amateur side of this event is doomed!

P.S. Mike Fuller plays APA and is 93 on the points list...no more to say about the criterion!

Last edited:

watchez

What time is it?
Silver Member
On this page: http://www.theworldclassic.com/

It says: Only 1 Master per team

I would imagine they would take into account the Team Masters that BCA has listed on: http://www.playbca.com/Leagues/MasterList/tabid/106/Default.aspx

Interesting - well I think that some people would not be listed as a Master and not listed in the top 128 that are very strong players. I have read it 10 times and guess I am just not smart enough in reading comprehension to figure it out - do you have to be BOTH - not in top 128 and also be on a league to play in the Team event? Or is it one or the other?