GC VI Designer on ABR - Submit Your Questions

Mr. Bond

Orbis Non Sufficit
Gold Member
Silver Member
This week's ABR show will feature Mr. Colin Tury of Detroit, the gentleman who designed the new Brunswick Gold Crown VI table.

Brunswick has had some incredible table designers in their long history. To be ranked among them is truly an honor.

If you have any questions for Mr. Tury about his winning design, feel free to post them here (between now and Thursday morning) and I will choose a few to include in the interview.

- cheers
 
Fyi:
To design the new table, a 3D cad model was produced of the existing GCV table .
The existing model was then used as a reference, or jumping off point, for the new design.
There were no prerequisites for the design other than what should be considered standard features on the table. Ie pockets ,slate, cushions etc.

And Colin does play pool.
 
Last edited:
Which of the design's was his? I googled "Gold Crown VI winning design" and saw an article announcing his win...but no picture of his design.

What else has he designed, and did those projects find their way into this one?

Does he play pool?

Did Brunswick dictate any particular elements of the table? They must have required certain functional elements such as rail width and rake, skirt clearance, etc.

Oops. I was typing while you composed your second post....
 
Were there any design changes that might lower the price point of the GCs to make them more competitive in the current market?
 
Will they play like a Diamond ?

The cushions are the difference in the play of the two tables.
Artemis cushions on diamonds......Brunswick super speed cushions on the brunswick.
Night and day differences in those two cushions.
I'm more than sure the GC 6 will have super speed cushions and play great.
I just hope they will offer the 4-1/2 corners like they do with the 5

I think this table my eve the best looking one of all of them....and I had some imput on the GCV.
Can't wait to see it....and hit some balls on it.

Mark Gregory
 
Here'e the pic of the winning design. I like that he's "flattened" the pocket rims, but it looks like the diamonds are right up next to the cushions. If so, that's going to throw off a lot of "through the diamond" bank/kick systems.
 

Attachments

  • Gold Crown VI winner - Reborn.png
    Gold Crown VI winner - Reborn.png
    66.3 KB · Views: 387
Here'e the pic of the winning design. I like that he's "flattened" the pocket rims, but it looks like the diamonds are right up next to the cushions. If so, that's going to throw off a lot of "through the diamond" bank/kick systems.

Looks like there's no lengthwise panel under the table.
I wonder if that will affect the table's stability.
 
Here'e the pic of the winning design. I like that he's "flattened" the pocket rims, but it looks like the diamonds are right up next to the cushions. If so, that's going to throw off a lot of "through the diamond" bank/kick systems.

I plan to ask him about that. As long as the distance from the diamond to the cushion nose is the same, it should be fine. I'd also be a little surprised if that wasn't considered ahead of time.
 
GC vi

What about leveling the table.

The design is one thing- the playability is another. You need to be able to see through the diamonds- stability demands the stretcher.

Also the hardware design and attaching is critical. A pro model table should be able to be disassembled many times without hardware failure.

Mark Griffin
 
Table

I'd like to know a few things about it...
1. did they keep the same frame and slate sill design of the GC5 ?

2. did they have a table service expert in on the design?

3. is the ball return still the same? Are they aware the ball return limits on how much support is allowed on the outer edge of the slate sill overhang- which is always moving tiny amounts/ that's the cause of a lot of the time when a table becomes unlevel. When the slate is suspended up by screw levelers or wedges you are battling gravity and down pressure from the slate screws that are not only pulling the slate down but also pulling the frame up.... All of the newer GC's I've seen, most of them the levling bolts are not used due to having to crawl under the table so frequently to turn a bolt a 1/8 of a turn... Or a wedge is needed where no leveling bolt is located.... But it's only a pool table....right.........?

4. will they build the GC in a 10 foot model?

5. There has been arguments and bicker about AMF and brunswick billiards being owned by one or the other...? Did they ever get intertwined?

6. why did they pull out of the trade show and make there own?

7. when will the BRUNSWICK GOLD CROWN be discontinued? After a certain number before they completely redesign the table or change the name?

8. Is brunswick billiards division for sale???


9. Does brunswick have any plan to educate installers and mechanics of the new designs and how to work with it?


10. And like Dr.Sullivan mentioned above.... They really needed a mechanic like mark gregory or RKC who has dealt with the table during installs and tear down more times then most have and have seen the issues table goes thru from improper repairs,handling and instalition from many years of pool too
service and use..




Rob.M
 
Last edited:
Who is the target customer for this table? Novices at home who don't care about the playability or commercial pool rooms/tournament play?

Was his forcus more on the cosmetic side or playability?
 
Some great questions so far, but keep in mind that Mr. Tury has never been an employee of Brunswick. (Thus far) So he won't be able answer certain business related questions about marketing, production or availability etc.

They say that the table won't actually be available until late 2015, so there is still plenty of time for the engineers to tweek the design for ideal playability.
 
I've played on well setup IV's and V's and they play perfect imo

this sounds like a cosmetic design refresh alongside some marketing

as far as a wish list, I would want to see a 10' version, and matching table light,
 

In the video, the company called Crate & Barrel was mentioned and then was compared to color schemes. These colors were displayed on the leg stretcher... but the new GC VI doesn't appear to have a leg stretcher.

I'm sure students designing home furniture came up with a great looking table... so have other table designers. What makes the GC great is it's long term stability and playability. That's what makes the GC a good table.
.
 
Last edited:
I wouldn't expect any real functionality improvements from such a contest which is normal

the good news is Brunswick has decided to use actual design experts for the aesthetics, this is big imo, get some nice ideas and them implement the construction accordingly
 
I think the chunky look of the legs looks like the squareness of a diamond table, I perfer the classy curvy classic lines of the current legs Also I live in earthquake county, and the current stracher seems a lot more sturdy to me, what with the cloth back to the diamonds? more space to collect chalk? hey, if it aint broke, dont fix it!
What would improve the table would be to use Glen's one piece slate and leveling system, and perhaps a bigger/better access to the ball storage rack, It feels a bit akward to reach in the small space to access the balls. a low profile storgae drawer under the slate with indented padding, really good ball berring rollers for smooth opening and closingwould be a plus to me. just my 2 cents...
 
my dream feature for now is a ball return that feeds the ball upwards somehow to avoid bending down to get em

dream fantasy table for the future would be a fully automatic one that racks, sets up shots, provides stats and feedback, etc.....that will happen one day and when it does it will do for pool what the internet did for Poker, namely the ability to practice 5-10x the amount of shots in the same time we practice today
 
Back
Top