Gold Crowns

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I dont see how anybody can be unhappy with any of them.

I do know some people dont like the rail counters. Cues get scratched up occasionally. The flush mount pockets on the 4 and up are an upgrade though.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
GC5, loved that table. Of course any GC is a good table if set up properly. Never have seen or played on a GC6.

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
I have a GCI.
But having been around a few, I'd Never buy one that did not have leg levelers, not real common but they are out there. Brun stone (rock) was in the mix with Slate in the GC's early years, and was unique. Cracks & chips could be fixed. The wood frames were thicker to get the 31''bed height right. This table had no leg levelers. That sucks, and watch out, those old Brunstone slate sets of three may be gone, but the frame with these feet on a floor that's not flat, could be annoying.

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The Gold Crown I and II are virtually the same table aside from aesthetics. There is a common misconception that Gold Crowns with floating nut plates, leg levelers and metal nameplates are Gold Crown II's. Not the case at all. All of these features were introduced during Gold Crown I production. The metal nameplate was added early on due to the plastic name plate being fragile and prone to cracking. Leg levelers are also quite common on Gold Crown I's with only the very early production years not having them. I'm not exactly sure when the floating nut plates were introduced, but I would guess sometime between '67-'69 (could be wrong on the date). As I stated earlier, the only difference between a I and II is aesthetics. Gold Crown I's came with white pedestals, stringer and ball tray, aprons in Blue, Gold, Tangerine or White, white plastic skirts, clear anodized aluminum pocket castings, clear anodized aluminum feet or nickel plated pot metal feet, clear anodized aluminum rail trim and chrome plated ball tray bezel. The Gold Crown II came with Rosewood solid stained pedestals, stringer, ball tray and aprons, white plastic skirts, clear anodized aluminum pocket castings, clear anodized aluminum rail trim, bronze plated feet and ball tray bezel. I like the Gold Crown I the best but I may be a little biased.

49602961653_9097ad9e13_h.jpg

7stud

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
4,6,1,3,2,5 in that order

Yet, there seems to be a design flaw with 4's:

On a GC4 frame, the end rail timber is bolted to the ends of the long side frame timbers. On a GC5 frame, the end timbers are sandwiched between the long side timber frames, and doweled to fit. The flaw in the GC4 is that the end frame timbers are actually only held in place by 2 bolts going into the long side frame timbers, and when you use the levelers to support the slate, that causes the end frame timbers to tilt down-wards at an angle due to the weight of the slate sitting on the levelers. On the GC5 frame, the side frame timbers go the whole length of the slates, therefore there's no real weight on the end timber frames, and because they're doweled to fit between the long timber frames they can't bow down even if there was no frame bolts installed. The 4's and 5's both have the triangle support blocks mounted along side the timber frames to help give extra support for the slates, but on the 4 frame they do nothing to stop the end frame cross member from sagging because it's the whole cross member that sags because the frame bolts can't hold it in place tight enough against the long main support timber frames. The triangle supports are not missing on either of them, you're just both looking at different areas of the frame is all. Glen

Last edited:

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Why the 3 before the 2 and 5?
I couldn’t ever keep a 5 level, I had a few of them. They were early ones.

2’s are good ok, I just liked the look of the 3’s a bit more and they seemed better. The 2’s were ok, didn’t see near as many of them either so my judgment might be a bit off.

I like 4’s with the frame corrected.

Nick B

This is gonna hurt
Silver Member
Played on one GC6 and it was perfect. Don't have enough data points and thus I will go with GCII

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Which Gold Crown model is your preference? Thanks

4 or 5 to play on stock, although I have not played much on anything newer. The biggest issue with the earlier models is the plastic lip sticking out on the pockets. If those were modified, as long as they were setup well with same rail cut and cloth installation, I am not sure I would have a clear favorite.

For nostalgia, probably the GC 3 would be tops by far, that is the table used in most 80-90s videos, tournaments and pool halls. and that is what I remember as THE table.

Now having said that, if I could pick any of the models to be restored, the rails and pockets made to modern spec and placed in my house, I would pick a 1 or 2.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
The Gold Crown I and II are virtually the same table aside from aesthetics. There is a common misconception that Gold Crowns with floating nut plates, leg levelers and metal nameplates are Gold Crown II's. Not the case at all. All of these features were introduced during Gold Crown I production. The metal nameplate was added early on due to the plastic name plate being fragile and prone to cracking. Leg levelers are also quite common on Gold Crown I's with only the very early production years not having them. I'm not exactly sure when the floating nut plates were introduced, but I would guess sometime between '67-'69 (could be wrong on the date). As I stated earlier, the only difference between a I and II is aesthetics. Gold Crown I's came with white pedestals, stringer and ball tray, aprons in Blue, Gold, Tangerine or White, white plastic skirts, clear anodized aluminum pocket castings, clear anodized aluminum feet or nickel plated pot metal feet, clear anodized aluminum rail trim and chrome plated ball tray bezel. The Gold Crown II came with Rosewood solid stained pedestals, stringer, ball tray and aprons, white plastic skirts, clear anodized aluminum pocket castings, clear anodized aluminum rail trim, bronze plated feet and ball tray bezel. I like the Gold Crown I the best but I may be a little biased.

49602961653_9097ad9e13_h.jpg
A lot of good information here. Which GC had the ash trays in the corner pocket castings? GCI I would guess.

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
GC4 as I have one. Appearance wise the 1-4 or 5. As for looks the 6 is not a GoldCrown and 5 is close not being one also. Tradition got lost.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
4 or 5 to play on stock, although I have not played much on anything newer. The biggest issue with the earlier models is the plastic lip sticking out on the pockets. If those were modified, as long as they were setup well with same rail cut and cloth installation, I am not sure I would have a clear favorite.

For nostalgia, probably the GC 3 would be tops by far, that is the table used in most 80-90s videos, tournaments and pool halls. and that is what I remember as THE table.

Now having said that, if I could pick any of the models to be restored, the rails and pockets made to modern spec and placed in my house, I would pick a 1 or 2.
The GCIV was the first one to have the plastic/rubber pocket lip flush with the rail. That was a big improvement.

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A lot of good information here. Which GC had the ash trays in the corner pocket castings? GCI I would guess.
The 1’s for sure had them. I’d guess as an option.

I think it was an option on the 2’s or the early 2’s as well. Just a different pocket casting.

I can’t remember ever seeing them on the 3’s.

Why am I telling Jay about history? He’s older and smarter than me!!😂😂

We had some great times in biz together Jay. Miss ya, I need to bounce down and take you to dinner and catch up!

Happy turkey day,
Fatboy❤️💪😃