Grainless Elforyn experiment

qbilder

slower than snails
Silver Member
Ok so I made a couple ferrules from it & installed them. I haven't played with them enough to really give an opinion yet, but thus far they seem to have a medium soft feel, which is kinda cool because it tames down the sharp, edgy feeling of the tip I prefer. They are also not as noisy as many of the molded plastics I have tried. The impact isn't clicky ticky with a very hard tip, which is good. Time will tell about durability and overall playability. Will report later.

The material cuts very smooth & clean. It's solid, clean, true white. I like the color a lot for ferrules. It smells like coconut when cutting, which is a pleasant change. It sands & glues great, and gluing tips on was a breeze as the glue set just fine & holds. It's kinda like working with the older IvorineIII but better color & no pitting. And it smells better.

I also bought some Juma to try as I have read & heard lots of raves about it. I haven't tried it yet, though. Made a couple ferrules but haven't installed. It's a weird material. First notion was that it reminds me of PVC, but it cuts nothing like PVC. Not sure what to think of it yet, but i'm not totally crazy about the off-white color. Will report when I try it.

hdgis1

Eric - Sent you an email about buying a couple pieces of LBM rod. Do you have any handy?

Chris

BLACKHEARTCUES

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I put one of these ferrules on the 1st cue that I ever made. A hustler type cue that I have been playing with since 1987. Initially I liked it. Then I noticed that it was a little harder hit, than the Juma that I have elected to be my standard. I like it for the Ivory looks, but JUMA is my hands down favorite...JER

Varney Cues

Handcrafted quality!
Silver Member
JUMA is my hands down favorite...JER

Mine as well Jerry. So nice to be able tune a softer "hit" with a quality material that so far is proving to be quite durable. As an experiment...I even used it in a capless version on a j/b with the big 5/16 i.d.....with a G10 stemmed tip no less. Have yet to have one single crack or failure. My ONLY complaint is that on the most recent batch I have had a couple ferrule rods with large air bubble/pockets appear as its turned to size. Definately not the norm & I'm sure limited to just an off batch. Anyone else seen this? Also I'd like to note that the black Juma makes for a supremely live hit when used for joint collars. Love it!:thumbup:

scdiveteam

Rick Geschrey
Silver Member
I put one of these ferrules on the 1st cue that I ever made. A hustler type cue that I have been playing with since 1987. Initially I liked it. Then I noticed that it was a little harder hit, than the Juma that I have elected to be my standard. I like it for the Ivory looks, but JUMA is my hands down favorite...JER

Ditto

Elforyn is great for Inlays but it play havoc clogging my drum sander.