Great unknown roadies

Eric.

Club a member
Silver Member
Neptune Joe Frady is from NJ. He is one of the great unknowns. Joe has one of the best cueballs around, he plays a simple but effective game and yes, he's on the "roadie do not play" list.

Dennis Spears is also from Jersey. Great player that only goes on the road occasionally but gets the cash. FWIW, Dennis was playing as an APA 6 around here, last year :eek:

Probably the best current road player around here (whose no longer unknown anywhere) is Danny Basavich.

Eric

Last edited:

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Varney Cues said:
If you ended up only paying for the time...that speaks VOLUMES about your one pocket game. Unless you two were playing really cheap...and he thought you might jack it up & play later...LOL!
What did he break this time?
He's been in Baltimore for a while...I've sent over a half dozen cues to your area. Keep your eyes open for a few players that break & jump way better than normal...

We were playing cheap...you don't think he'd hold out for the big$, do you?!!!!!;)

Jedi V Man

Why yes I would......
Silver Member
huckster said:
I seen Chicken George get the 6,7,8 from Cracker Jack Hynes in Akron in the mid ninties for 20 a game jack won about 300. George told everyone he would have lost everything he had if Jack would have had more money. Anyone that knows George knows that it is hard to seperate him from his dough.

You obviously aint seen Chicken George shoot lately then.

I see him shoot in the Monday night Tournament in Flint almost weekly.

No one around here will gamble with him Heads-Up on a bar-box. Even Bar-Box Barry won't play George even up....

That Fury tour came through here at Hit-N-Run 2 years ago and George ran through everybody on the 9' tables to win it, SO easily it wasn't even funny. He was even stalling to not show what he really had and still won with ease...

My best friend is a Champion on all tables and told George he would play him $100.00 for a race to 10 if George promised to go all out and show his "All around game" and not stall at all. He just wanted to see what George REALLY had in him....

He beat my buddy 10-0 and my buddy never made a ball and only got to the table 2 times, and both times he was kicking 2 or 3 rails to try to get a hit...

He does have some mad skills, and he's a pretty good guy too...

sixpack

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
cuetechasaurus said:
I've heard a few people talk about someone named Gabbey, some said he was one of the very best unknown players out there.

Last year I wandered into my local ph (now deceased) only to run into Skillet, a former road buddy of Gabby's. I had run into him once in Texas in the early 90's.

The room was all college kids except for us. We were laughing and joking and talking about the old days, everyone thought we were crazy. He was trying to get me to play banks with him and I was trying to get him to play 9-ball. Overall a very fun evening.

He said Gabby was crazy...

Cheers,
RC

sharandrew

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A couple of years ago a guy came through town in a yellow school bus selling records and tapes. He was about 50 yo had overalls and sandals. Never knew is real name and never seen him before. i tried to ID him on AZB but no one at the time was sure who he was some said cowboy. More like a hippie. He played about the speed sub top 128 barely. Mostly all he did was go to flea markets and sell tapes and records, said he had been doing it for years.. without practice, or playing much he jumped into any game in town and held his own and a lot of everyone elses...........................

bigg7

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
sorry

sorry but unless he's found god or had a heart transplant George is still an a$$hole.I still remember having to threaten to leave him about 2 hours from Akron if he didn't give me 20 for gas after I just drove him to 800 dollar score.

InTheCloudzzz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've heard stories about a player out of Meridian, MS called Junior Monsour. He passed away about 15 yrs ago. From my understanding, he was a helluva one pocket player and an even better gin player. Anybody else ever hear of him?

Tommy-D

World's best B player...
Silver Member
> Is George Kieselat the one they call Chicken George? If it is,I've ran into him a few times in Akron myself,very strong player but for someone that plays that speed,he's awful nitty about things. George beat a friend of mine out of 200 up there one time,then point blank refused to pay the time. I go up there once a year,again here in a few weeks,and I always found it funny that a LOT of the local tournaments made it a point to print on their flyers "Chicken George and Chris Szuter can NOT play!"
Tommy D.

Voodoo Daddy

One Pocket 101
randyg said:
Hippie Dave.......Still unknown....randyg

Not quite...he was in South Florida twice. I spoke to him at length and remember him well. I wont give up his M.O. cause it aint my way but he can play!!!

Varney Cues

Handcrafted quality!
Silver Member
Dennis Spears is also from Jersey. Great player that only goes on the road occasionally but gets the cash. FWIW, Dennis was playing as an APA 6 around here, last year :eek:
^^^The above was a quote from Eric.^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Once during a big tournament at Mothers...a couple of FBI agents came in looking for Dennis. Hmmm...they wouldn't say why though.

Last edited:

Varney Cues

Handcrafted quality!
Silver Member
DTL said:
One player that I know of that did make a decent living on the road was a guy named Jimmy Hodges. This country boy played jam up and treated the road like a business. He made a ton of money in south during the 70's.
He saved his winnings and opened up a nice poolroom in Bowling Green, KY...from the ground up. Last I heard he now owns a couple of upscale rooms in South Carolina.

Jimmy doesn't play that well...not in recent years anyway. He will gamble, but I don't believe he wants to play any quality players. He did own a very nice, large room in Greenville, SC called Gametime Riptide. The room recently changed names so I don't know if Jimmy still owns it. I believe he was friends with the dearly missed late Fountain Inn Red Willis.

vagabond

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Varney Cues said:
He did own a very nice, large room in Greenville, SC called Gametime Riptide

I still have my membership card that expired.I did not renew it.

powderburner

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bamacues said:
You said of all time, right. How about a little old man from way down south. In my home, Lewis Alexander Goff, Jr. (aka: Junior, Lefty, the Florida Kid) was and still is, a real legend. Billiards Digest called him "the consumate gambler". Even in his early 80's now, he is one heck of a one pocket player.

Jr's 3 rules of gambling:
1. Get the money
2. Get the money
3. Get ALL the money

Was this the Junior Goff from PC Florida? I don't reconize the photo but he was much younger when I knew him.

frankncali

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
powderburner said:
Was this the Junior Goff from PC Florida? I don't reconize the photo but he was much younger when I knew him.

I have never known of Junior to "live" in PC but he has lived most of his life within 90 miles or so from there.

IMO he looked much the same except younger in older pictures that I have seen. I did not meet Junior until he was older.

Below is a picture from 1968. Steve Cook is the other fellow.

Also here is a link that might be of interest.

http://www.cues.com/goff.html

Attachments

• Florida68-2  Junior.jpg
    Florida68-2 Junior.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 491

Mike_Mason

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I remember Nicky...

Nick Vlahos was my best friend. Between road sessions he came back to Salem, MA for 'recuperation'. I have so many stories about Nicky that I could go on forever...and maybe I will in the end. Nicky died way too young.

Nicky was a great player and competitor but I'd like to testify to his gentle side. For a few years there we played tennis every morning when he was in town...he would pick me up at sunrise and we would drive around for a while chatting...which he always drove way below the speed limit. Then we would play 3-5 sets...I won sparingly and celebrated mightily when I did.

His parents were old. Sometimes he brought his father along to watch us. Nicky sat him in a lawn chair beside the tennis court and pleased him greatly. The dad died before too long. Nicky sometimes brought his mother to watch but she didn't have the patience to come too much. We did however pick her up sometimes after our match and take her to lunch. I remember Nicky in so many ways but I'll always remember how loving he was to his parents who knew that he was special in so many ways besides just being their son.

Besides Mosconi, I've never seen a more perfect stroke than that of Nick Vlahos. Nicky's might have even been smoother than Willie's.

powderburner

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
frankincali, Junior was well known in PC. I was just starting to play in the earily 60's and heard the name quite a bit. I had no idea he played that level. Thanks for the link.