Have the rules changed?

Monstermash

Lock Ness Monster
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
64   0   0
Before anyone posts smartass comments informing me that I am breaking the rules because I'm not offering anything for sale here, you may want to consider that this is the only place that this thread belongs because it deals specifically with and issue that is directly related to this section.

I'm curious if the rules have changed regarding bumping of threads in this section?

I'm only asking because most of us try and follow the rules while others bump every day and sometimes several times a day. It's complete BS that those of us who try and follow the rules are punished by those who do not.

Is anyone else sick of having your listing on the first page for only a short time before a bunch of members who are not following the rules post multiple times or have their buddies post comments to bump the thread? If I read the rules correctly, posting comments such as "nice cue" are considered bumping.

I'm not trying to anger the mods here but seriously, I've been seeing this behavior more and more as of late. From what I understand, warnings are given via pm but wouldn't it make more sense for a mod to post in the thread warning the OP so others can see it? Although that may be counterproductive as the post would bump the thread. Lol :rolleyes:

Here are a few thoughts that may help clean up this section.

Require members to check a box certifying they have read and understand the rules BEFORE being allowed to post in this section.

Require members to have a specific amount of posts before they can post in the WFS section. I belong to a few other forums and that is standard practice there. That way we get to know the member a bit before they are allowed to post items for sale and would deter scammers. Additionally it would stop the BS spam posts that we occasionally see here.

Anyone else have any thoughts that may help improve this section?

J Layer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
I agree!

Tom I agree with you my friend. I think it's just a lot of new memebers not aware of our rules. They are acting like this is a free "eBay" . I'm not saying it's all new members but I've noticed the same issue's your bringing up.

Or the same over priced cues being bumped over and over again etc.or bumpimng 4-6 threads at a time to take over page 1.

This used to be a great place for collectors to buy & trade. Over the last year or so it has become more of a place for people to flood with items they have in quantity. It's almost as if some treat AZ like their main retail outlet.

I've also noticed bad transactions becoming more of a issue. Making changes like your suggesting could help. I can't preach ESCROW enough. I just bought a cue from a new memeber with 1 post. It went off with out a hitch! We used escrow.

I do really like your idea of the box checking before you post that says youve read the rules. I think that's a great idea!

Last edited:

devorator

Ipoolmyheart@thetable
Silver Member
Rating - 99.2%
127   1   1
Right...

Tom you are right man. Tho, I belong to many selling/trading forums, including some of the best on internet regarding photo equipment. There is none, and I mean NONE which has the 48h rule. Every forum I belong has a 24h rule and any comments regarding the product you sell are allowed (like asking details the user forgot to mention and I am not talking about the obvious ones but deep info about your merchandise).
Also, it should be a rule about how a sale thread should look. All details, pics and specs should be a must! I agree to warn/temporary ban a user who didn't wrote all of this in his sale/trade thread.
There are a lot of threads lately: "want to sell a X cue, it's straight and shoots good, price is negotiable" and that's all you got.
This is not a street market or at least it shouldn't be but it starts to look worst that that.
I do bump my threads 24h. Based on actual rules I should be warned/banned...but I am really really tired to see a bunch of "good friends around here" jumping on a thread with comm. like "woowwwww, this cue is still here?" or "if I had the money it'll be mine for sure".....common'...
I didn;t ask anybody to bump my threads, but I know a ton of people doing this every day...

I hope I bother no one with my post...it's just that after only 1 week of seeing all this start to wake up with a bad taste about this section...and not only..
Just my thoughts....

All the best to everyone, (excuse my english as I am not a native)
Chris

Last edited:

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
13   0   1
Anyone else have any thoughts that may help improve this section?

I always thought it was wrong for one person selling multiple cues to open a seperate thread for each cue. I've seen a few sellers on here do that with as many as 5 or 6 cues being sold at the same time.

Hell, list 'em all in one thread!!! That way, everyone elses threads aren't getting bumped to page two.

Maniac

paulf765

Registered
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can only speak for myself in this situation. I have been around for a little over two years now, I bought my first cue within 6 months and it was a great experience. I have asked a cue related question here and got the "is anything for sale here" comment. I have also seen where other members have made sure to let people know that bumping is only allowed once every two days, and if I'm correct that should be in a pm instead of on the thread to stop unnecessary bumping. I know that I have tried to respect that rule even though it would be nice to see it, not three pages back, by end of day one. As a relatively new user and poster, I feel that some fine tuning should be done. What say the majority of the people that use this as a business tool?

1outofthe$$$$

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
39   0   0
Amen

I always thought it was wrong for one person selling multiple cues to open a seperate thread for each cue. I've seen a few sellers on here do that with as many as 5 or 6 cues being sold at the same time.

Hell, list 'em all in one thread!!! That way, everyone elses threads aren't getting bumped to page two.

Maniac

I feel the same way

SwissChris

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
79   0   0
I wanted to be a smarta$$ but then i cant do that to Tom LOL

Chris

At a minimum the section should be broken up to:
Cues
Cases
Books/DVD's
Misc

JV

yes JV i agree with you

Last edited:

larry732

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
208   0   0
Lately there are so many items for sale and will post specs or pictures later. why not get your act together, prepare everything and then create your new thread. And so many items without pictures. Maybe the mods should post a tutorial on how to add pictures for newer members. I still cannot add a picture on a PM.

alanvo

Banned
Rating - 88.2%
30   4   0
Instead of having to reply 'bump' to actually bump, we can have a button to 'bump'.
Replying a thread will not bring it to the top. Pressing the button will. And you can only press the button once every 48 hours.

It should be simple to implement that feature. Question is, will AZ do it? :)

nick serdula

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Rating - 97.9%
140   3   0
One bump every 2 days.

I break it only when a Cue is sold or is asked to be held. We each other courtisy. Ever wanted to to buy a Cue and couldn't at that moment watching for a week or 2 then called only to hear sold it. Big bummer speaking from experience.
Have more than one thread? Don't bump a half page of threads. Bump a thread with links to your advertisements. KRBSailing is great at it.
Nick :)

leto1776

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
As a new member,I'll admit I only gave the rules a quick read,and missed that one about bumping,and have done it a few times. I now know better.

However,I disagree with the rule that all questions should be sent via pm.If someone has a genuine question(s) about the item(s),wouldn't it better serve everyone if the actual questions are allowed to be posted,saving the seller from having to reply to multiple pms answering the same questions(s)? That way,once a question is asked and answered in the thread,it won't need to be asked again.

cleitonrocha

Administrador
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
207   0   0
TOM, I hate to say this, but YOU ARE ABSOLUTLY RIGHT....lol

AGREE 10000000%

What about azers that post 2 threads for the same product?

I don't think that's allowed either.... RIGHT?

whoaaaa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
I've noticed the same thing with some people getting somewhat agressive at "newer members". There are more than one "good" points to this issue.

I think one of the main issues is that some members don't know what is considered "bumping". Out of the 3 forums I constantly visit, this one is the only one that considers answering a question "bumping". This is for good reason as posts can go from page 1 to page 4 in a few hours. Breaking this selling section into 2 or 3 categories would definitely help.

On the other hand, people do need to read the rules. They aren't created because the MODs felt like doing something different. It is usually a specific solution to a problem. In addition, the MODs don't get paid to run this forum. The probably get just enough to pay for the hardware and website subscriptions. Please don't feel like you're entitled to something. You are a visitor, that is using what someone else has created. Don't bash the MODs. If you think you can do it better, go for it.

This is a place to share knowledge and find people to gamble with.... just have fun and enjoy what we have.

phade

I am one with my cue
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
84   0   0
TOM, I hate to say this, but YOU ARE ABSOLUTLY RIGHT....lol

AGREE 10000000%

What about azers that post 2 threads for the same product?

I don't think that's allowed either.... RIGHT?

I see that all the time... I think a few key thing will fix alot of problems.
Just my 2 cents
Dom

Newsheriffintwn

Newsheriff Custom Cues
Gold Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
177   0   0
Like was already stated IT SHOULD BE A RULE....One thread and all you're selling should be listed in that ONE thread.....Its exhausting to wade threw and see so many threads from one seller selling ten different cues at one time. Not to mention the people selling one item being pushed farther down the pile.

How much easier and less cluttered the FS section would be.

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
The posted rules are wrong.....

Okay.....here's the real deal.......per Mr. Wilson's message to me. Read this carefully and find out that the Forum rules do not apply and the Moderators decide (in their sole discretion) what's allowed to be posted and the content.

You do not have to have any pool related item to sell, you can do price checks, you can post political messages, you can chit chat, etc. I've been reporting posts under the "misimpression" that the Rules posted on the Wanted/For Sale section apply/pertain to this subsection of the Forum. I was wrong and was straightened out a week ago by Mr. Wilson for reporting posts that didn't have any pool related item for sale. I explained my understanding of the rules and exactly why I was reporting to the moderators all these apparent violations Jerry Forsyth's rules listed on the opening page of the Wanted/For Sale Section. My reports were essentially turning into a nuisance which is why Mr. Wilson contacted me.

The Moderators have the final say in what's allowed to be posted and apparently that's why there's some confusion. If the Moderators agree or condone the thread, even if it's got "nothing to do with pool, ex. anti-gun control legislation or anti-Obama, if the Moderators think it's okay then it is regardless of whether you, me or anyone else feels about the topic being listed in the Wanted/For Sale subsection of the Forum.

I suggested that the Forum Rules for Wanted/For Sale section be replaced with the rules that Mr. Wilson called my attention to. I didn't even know that I was actually being a distraction to the Moderators by reporting posts with non-related pool items, or price checks, or anything else like that, even 48 hr. bump violations. Despite my best intentions, albeit thinking I was simply calling the attention of The Moderators to very specific threads that did not comply with the Forum Rules, I was actually creating more work for them.

So my conclusion is don't bother reporting any posts. Personally, I abhor threads/posts that obviously contain nothing more than political messages, albeit often abberant-minded, but if the Moderators agree with the thread, case closed. I don't like that a pool related item doesn't appear but what I don't like or care for isn't consequential to the Forum.

Let's face it......it doesn't matter if you're a paid member or not........the Forum is a convenience and if any of us don't like what's going on, we just stop patronizing it. But we're not going to change things because until a problem is even recognized to even exist, there's absolutely no chance of fixing it. I've been reporting threads since joining the Forum and nothing has ever come from it until Mr. Wilson recently explained to me the Rules posted by Jerry Forsyth do not apply to the Wanted/For Sale Section and the rules for the Wanted/For Sale section were written by Mr. Wilson which he kindly shared with me.

In turn, I pass this information along to everyone else so we can collectively avoid burdening the Moderators reporting posts that mistakenly appear to violate the Forum's rules. It all comes down to this exculpatory clause........."Any Posts without an Item For Sale, Trade or Wanted to buy will be deleted or moved as Moderator sees fit." So unless you aspire to become a Moderator sometime in the future, just ignore these posts rather than bother the Moderators with reporting them. It's a waste of your time and the Moderators as well. None of us can read the Moderators's minds and so if they agree/condone/endorse a thread, it will be allowed regardless of the content.

In case you are curious if what I've saying is accurate, listed below is a copy of Mr. Wilson's reply to my reports about Forum rules not being followed.
Meanwhile, click on this link to find out what the actual posted rules are (01-26-2006 & 1-1-2010) for The Wanted/For Sale Section which Mr. Wilson told me he personally wrote. http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=25061

Re: Whats the issue - 02-10-2013, 06:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bavafongoul
Thank you......it's apparent that I've been misbehaving..........may I suggest replacing the rules posted by Jerry with these rules? I think it would help to clarify things because I know from having read posts by others I'm not the only one under the impression that the currently listed rules apply.

I've seen others write posts criticizing on threads that ignored the Forum rules as I previously thought them to be. Thanks for setting me straight.

Matt Brennan

The rules you are referencing for Jerry are posted only in the sales area.

Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wilson
Forum rules.

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=25061

Last edited:

Monstermash

Lock Ness Monster
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
64   0   0
As a perfect example to what the problem is, I just received a pm from a member calling me an a$$hole for leaving him a negative rep for posting a thread and then bumping it about 8 hours later. He couldn't understand why I would give a "good az'er" a bad rep. Well..... If you were a "good az'er" you would know the rules and try to follow them. :rolleyes:

For those of you who are guilty of this practice, here's why it's a problem. There is a 48 hour bump rule that only allows you to bump your for sale thread every 48 hours. This is done because if you keep bumping your thread, the rest of us who also have items for sale keep getting our threads pushed further and further from actually being seen on the front page. When you continue to bump your post, you continually are on the front page where the rest of us are on page 6 after an hour. So think about that and ask yourself if that's fair to the rest of us?

Edit: I just received another pm from this "good az'er" stating that he was going to back and look at all my threads and leave me negative rep for every time I broke the rules. I'm so glad he is such a great member of our community. Rather than just realizing he made a mistake and trying to correct it in the future, he would rather be vindictive and discourteous to the other members and keep practicing the behavior that earned him a red rep.

Let's all give him a greenie for being such a team player! Lol

Last edited: