He asked for help,I tried but.........................

TheBasics

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I used to play play fun 9 ball with a guy.
Sometimes he would just stare at the shot and I would say are you struck on how to get position?
He would say no and then screw it all up even though I saw the way to shoot it.
I stopped asking after awhile,I just don't understand that.
I played at strong short stop speed in my prime,I don't play that good these days(I'm old) but I still have the knowledge.
I played a lot of pool with much better players and sometimes I would ask them questions about position play and shot selection and I would just soak it up.
I never let ego get in the way of learning and I've been that way since I first picked up a cue in 1961 o_O
measureman, Howdy;

I can understand some of your confusion about your friend. I've seen folks that have interest in learning
something and yet not be able to put the information they get to good or bad use. I don't think it's for
lack of trying, they just don't have the skill set (mental or physical), to take the verbal information and put
it to the use.
Me, I'm a visual learner (monkey see, monkey do), type. I can sit and read a repair manual and understand it
but when it comes to implementing the written word to physical action I'm lost. Somewhere in the gray matter
the signal gets lost. Yet if someone shows me what to do, no problem the solenoid valve or whatever gets fixed.
Have you asked your friend or noticed if his Cue ball skills are capable of doing what you ask him to do? How is
his speed control? How is his draw? Those things need to be honed as you know. Have you asked him if he'd
like some help getting the necessary basics refined then work on the patterns not in a game situation. I don't
know, just have a talk with him, see what his goals are, if he has any ... at least you care enough to try to help
him.

hank

michael4

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
measureman, Howdy;

I can understand some of your confusion about your friend. I've seen folks that have interest in learning
something and yet not be able to put the information they get to good or bad use. I don't think it's for
lack of trying, they just don't have the skill set (mental or physical), to take the verbal information and put
it to the use.
On top of all that, some people are only in the mood to "learn" on certain days....

For example, some people may be in the mood to "play" on a certain day, but thats not the day that also want to "learn"......

I consider those two different brain functions, and especially as I get older, I find it harder and harder to multitask like that....

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I’ve ran 28 total balls in my career. One at a time……it’s that bad. 14.1 is slower than 1P for me. My high run in 3C is higher than in 14.1.

I sure do like to watch guys who can play it
:eek: :eek: :oops::oops: 😂 😂

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That’s true(almost) for sure in 1P it’s higher. I can’t play 14.1 at all.

My mind gets divided on making the ball and where the white ball is going. It’s a very strange this as it’s important in all pool. Something about 14.1 just doesn’t work for me. In 1P of course I can control both the OB & CB no problem, which should mean that I could do the same in 14.1-but I can’t. 🤯🤯

I just get frustrated and stop after a few minutes. It will never work for me. All other cue sports I’m fine with. Golf on the snooker box is a bit dry for me as well.

Keeping it real
Fatboy 😃

Reactions: bbb

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
also I would say some people dont want to be taught by certain people.........

on this point, my ex would never take any advice I ever gave her, even when I knew I had the correct advice.....but she would gladly take advice from the homeless guy under the bridge. i.e. your friend sees you as a "friend", or as an "equal", and doesnt want to be taught by you (but dont be shocked or offended if he listens to someone else, even someone else with less pool knowledge)

thats just how the world works....dont sweat the small stuff
There's a saying for that: The prophet is without honor at home.

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That’s true(almost) for sure in 1P it’s higher. I can’t play 14.1 at all.

My mind gets divided on making the ball and where the white ball is going. It’s a very strange this as it’s important in all pool. Something about 14.1 just doesn’t work for me. In 1P of course I can control both the OB & CB no problem, which should mean that I could do the same in 14.1-but I can’t. 🤯🤯

I just get frustrated and stop after a few minutes. It will never work for me. All other cue sports I’m fine with. Golf on the snooker box is a bit dry for me as well.

Keeping it real
Fatboy 😃
I suspect a wee bit of sandbagging going on here. ;)

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
measureman, Howdy;

it to the use.
Me, I'm a visual learner (monkey see, monkey do), type. I can sit and read a repair manual and understand it
but when it comes to implementing the written word to physical action I'm lost. Somewhere in the gray matter
the signal gets lost. Yet if someone shows me what to do, no problem the solenoid valve or whatever gets fixed.
Have you asked your friend or noticed if his Cue ball skills are capable of doing what you ask him to do? How is
his speed control? How is his draw? Those things need to be honed as you know. Have you asked him if he'd
like some help getting the necessary basics refined then work on the patterns not in a game situation. I don't
know, just have a talk with him, see what his goals are, if he has any ... at least you care enough to try to help
him.

hank
The guy plays pretty good,we battle even in one pocket and 10 ball but he has very little knowledge of 14.1.

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
So I played 14.1 with this guy again and he says "Let's just play and not talk about shots'
So I took that to mean he didn't want anymore tips,I had to bite my tongue a few times when he chose the harder end pattern and screwed it up.
Damn, dont people see the easy path on the last 4 or 5 balls?
Some do not listen...do not want to listen and do not hear...but have How To questions.

Rosewood

My 2 cents, just keep playing with him and play your game. If he really does want to learn, he will watch how you play and likely be comparing his mental ball patterns with yours. Who knows, may even ask why you played a certain pattern other than what he saw.

I know some guys don't like to watch while opponent is shooting during straight pool. I always do and think about the pattern. Same as if I'm watching a straight pool video. There's always something to be learned.

There is a guy I play one pocket with who plays prettyt good but knows next to nothing about 14.1.
He asked if we could play and would I help him.
Every time I suggested a different pattern then he just played I got push back.
One time the rack was open a bit and he had a perfectly good shot in the side with a natural angle to break the balls open and he passed on it.
Instead he tried shooting in 3 more balls to get position on a different break shot and failed ending the run.
After enough push back I stopped suggesting moves.
At the end I told him he passed up too many break shots,
I said never pass up a break shot to open the balls you may not get another one.
OK I know sometimes opening the balls too soon creates more problems but at his level of play passing up on a chance to open the balls is not a good idea.
We are talking about a player that has a lifetime high run of 25.
Just my opinion.
Your friend is what I like to call an "Ask-hole". 🙄
An "Ask-hole" is someone who asks for advice and then does it another way. 😆😆😆

Podunker

Measureman
I understand the trying to help thing. Got a gold crown in cellar. Got 2 friends I believe are low 500 fargos. Don't have one myself. Play straight pool with them. Try to help for years, they make the same mistakes over and over. Pretty much have given up helping. I put 84 on one of them last week and they watched tv and racked. We're all 68 to 70 years old. In 1980's and early 90's I was blessed to play a gentleman that was a small step below the very best. He'd played Balsis, Shorty Johnson, Crane etc. Poetry in motion. Classic high setup still running 5 to 6 racks at 80 years old. Wouldn't let him pay for anything. Just sponged on his talent. Watched every move. When I screwed up he'd give it to me and he wasn't quiet or gentle. I loved it. What I tried to help these guys with is what I learned him. Nothing from me. Now I keep my mouth shut and am happy to have company and play one in awhile.

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Measureman
I understand the trying to help thing. Got a gold crown in cellar. Got 2 friends I believe are low 500 fargos. Don't have one myself. Play straight pool with them. Try to help for years, they make the same mistakes over and over. Pretty much have given up helping. I put 84 on one of them last week and they watched tv and racked. We're all 68 to 70 years old. In 1980's and early 90's I was blessed to play a gentleman that was a small step below the very best. He'd played Balsis, Shorty Johnson, Crane etc. Poetry in motion. Classic high setup still running 5 to 6 racks at 80 years old. Wouldn't let him pay for anything. Just sponged on his talent. Watched every move. When I screwed up he'd give it to me and he wasn't quiet or gentle. I loved it. What I tried to help these guys with is what I learned him. Nothing from me. Now I keep my mouth shut and am happy to have company and play one in awhile.
For about 10 years I played a lot of pool with Neptune Joe Frady (RIP) a world class N.J. player during the '80's and I not only watched him I studied him and asked questions.
I learned a lot.

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
For about 10 years I played a lot of pool with Neptune Joe Frady (RIP) a world class N.J. player during the '80's and I not only watched him I studied him and asked questions.
I learned a lot.
You wanted to improve and took it in. Most would like to improve but have no intention of working on it. Or ask with their ears closed.