He has decided to share his news :(

BillPorter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Grady, I passed along the sad news to Alf Taylor. He told me that you were very close to the Taylor family and that he was deeply saddened at the news. He said that Jack will be trying to call you on the phone. I always looked up to you as a top player, way out of my league, and always admired your approach to the game.

stevekur1

The "COMMISH"
Silver Member
Never count Grady Mathews out, its still his shot...a favorite to win while he's at the table !!!!! keep the prayers coming

Pelican

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have not known Grady as long as most of you, only about 10 years, but we have become very close. I went up to Lexington 2 weeks ago and spent 4 days with him before he left the hospital. We enjoyed some of my Creole wife's gumbo Friday night and some Conecuh Sausage while watching football Saturday night. He was in great spirits and we had a wonderful visit. He had not started chemo at this time.

Y'all don't start diggin the grave yet cause he ain't giving up so easy. I told him that one thing he taught me was to "always give yourself a chance to win". This is the most important game he has ever played and by God he is going to give himself a chance to win.

I am leaving in the morning to go up and stay till Monday. If he Ok's I will update on him when I get back. If he wants to remain private that is the way it will be because I love him like a brother.

Later, Pel

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have not known Grady as long as most of you, only about 10 years, but we have become very close. I went up to Lexington 2 weeks ago and spent 4 days with him before he left the hospital. We enjoyed some of my Creole wife's gumbo Friday night and some Conecuh Sausage while watching football Saturday night. He was in great spirits and we had a wonderful visit. He had not started chemo at this time.

Y'all don't start diggin the grave yet cause he ain't giving up so easy. I told him that one thing he taught me was to "always give yourself a chance to win". This is the most important game he has ever played and by God he is going to give himself a chance to win.

I am leaving in the morning to go up and stay till Monday. If he Ok's I will update on him when I get back. If he wants to remain private that is the way it will be because I love him like a brother.

Later, Pel

Thank you for the update, Mr. Pelican Man. Grady sure is fortunate to have such a good friend in you.

Bless you and yours always. :smile:

jkjerry

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Our thoughts and prayers are with you and your father.

Grady has always been one of the most special people that we've come accross at the few U.S. Open 9 ball tourney's we've attended. He is a very special man.

Jerry and Cindi

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member

Later, Pel

Good man, Pel. Keep us in the loop.

Print out this entire thread and bring it with you. It will lift Grady's spirits. This thread shows how much Grady is appreciated.

Thanks for keeping us informed.

huckster

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Prayers are with you grady stay strong you've always been a fighter I have faith you will beat this

cmbwsu

Pool Stream Advocate
Silver Member
attachment.php

Firenback

Stay Smooth.....
Thank You for the Update

Grady, you don't no me, I'm older and have been around pool scene for a long time. you been around as long as i can remember. The 60's i don't remember but 70's and early 80's you were there and seen it all...you alway were able to take the most intricate parts of pool and communicate them in away that even a moron like me could understand and have a chance to improve my game...not to mention how you invented, mastered and set a standard for commentating pool matches thats still studied today... Player,Teacher, Commentator...

Good luck with your treatments
God Bless
Firenback

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member

Later, Pel

God bless you Pelican!

ironman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Later, Pel

WOW, in this negative cynical world I live in, this restores my faith in mankind.
Grady is very fortunate to have a Brother like you and in a tough circumstance. You are a very special person!
He will fight like hell and with all he has!
God bless you all!

G&M

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Update from Grady Mathews

attachment.php

Glad to read that Mr. Mathews is continuing to get treatments and working to get better. How many times has he been at the table, looked it over, saw that there was a key to the rack or sequence that would keep him in line, and then continued his inning?

Like many others who have written on az, I never knew Grady personally, but I did see him play, and, years before that, met him once at the 14.1 U.S. Open. He greeted me like a friend when about all he knew about me was that I was enough of a fan of pool to buy a ticket. But that was all he needed to know. He shook my hand, spent time talking with me, and made an impression that would hold up over a decade later.

I’m looking forward to his next commentary or instructional video because all of the work he’s done in that area up to now has been extraordinary. People passionate about billiards have been fighting for so long about whether pool is an elegant game that should be played in tuxedos in grand ballrooms or whether to embrace the hustling and gambling side of the sport. It’s a debate that’s gone on for so long it’s hard to think of when it first started. Meanwhile, whenever you hear Grady speak, in his elegant, funny, and smart way, he brings out what’s attractive about both sides – the beauty in a sport compelling enough to have more than one facet to it.

Maybe what so many people respond to is how Grady shares so much of his encyclopedic knowledge of the analytical, mechanical, and mental aspects of all the pool games, and, of course, his obviously genuine love for billiards and those who play it. Whether he’s playing or commentating, he never seems to hold back … and it’s good to see how so many people seem to understand that.

kano

Unbelievable!!!!!
Silver Member
. . . just 'cause he may be down 0-10 in a race to eleven it doesn't mean he needs unscrew his cue.

hang in there. i've seen many people on tv saying how their doctor told them they didn't have much time left and that was like 10 years ago.

!!!YOU CAN STILL RUN OUT THE SET GRADY!!!

kano