Here's a scenario ; Unsportsmanlike or not?

67tbird

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You're playing Texas express nine ball, race to seven for the cash. Rack your own, winner breaks. You're using the magic rack.

You break, make a ball, and leave the cue ball behind the head string. No balls stay on the rack but you get down to shoot figuring you'll move it next shot.

Opponent says "wait a minute" and stands up. You ask him to sit down. He refuses, walks down and removes the rack from the table (after repeated requests to leave it there).

Does opponent have the right to do so?

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What means unsportsmanlike?
Grounds for disqualification? No, IMO
Poor form? Sure, if you are looking for something someone has done ya wrong.

rjb1168

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
You're playing Texas express nine ball, race to seven for the cash. Rack your own, winner breaks. You're using the magic rack.

You break, make a ball, and leave the cue ball behind the head string. No balls stay on the rack but you get down to shoot figuring you'll move it next shot.

Opponent says "wait a minute" and stands up. You ask him to sit down. He refuses, walks down and removes the rack from the table (after repeated requests to leave it there).

It's a tough call due to these reasons,
With nothing on it I would think you would have moved it and this would not of happened. I have had a ball roll funny going across it when hitting a soft shot. My thought is what if you miss and he get's stuck on it having to shoot across it. Just my thoughts.

Last edited:

cardiac kid

Super Senior Member
Silver Member

Your opponent has absolutely no business going to the table while it is not their turn. No different than going to the rest room on your turn and expecting you to wait for them to shoot. Ain't gonna happen. Simple solution? Tell your opponent the next time they do that, you will take cue ball in hand. Do it twice and you'll put a game up on your side. They need to pay a price, not you.

Lyn

67tbird

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Black-balled, I meant Unsportsmanlike as in poor form. I wasn't looking to benefit from his error, but he was adamant that he had a right to remove it. He didn't ask me to remove it myself btw, just took it upon himself.

I felt it was a flagrant disrespect to me and to the game, honestly.

Yes, I won the set.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

bwally

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's in the rules, only the player at the table or the ref may remove the magic rack.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

LWD

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think you may be right, but can you cite the source in the rules?

Henry W

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I wonder what is wrong with pool. Who cares and you are gambling which means you can quit and not play people you don't want to play with. What you can't do is control your opponents actions or behavior you either play or quit.

Neil

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Black-balled, I meant Unsportsmanlike as in poor form. I wasn't looking to benefit from his error, but he was adamant that he had a right to remove it. He didn't ask me to remove it myself btw, just took it upon himself.

Yes, I won the set.

Maybe it's not so cut and dried. Maybe he feels it's disrespectful to the game to leave it on the table when it is very possible it could slightly affect a shot?

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I think it is bad etiquette on your part for not removing it after the break, if there were no balls stuck in it.

I think it should be MANDATORY to move it in that case, before the next ball is shot.

And it doesn't matter what type of game you are playing, or how many games in a set, or whether it is for funsies or for money.

Kevin3824

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It was a poor decision on your part not to remove the rack after the break if no balls are stuck on it. What right did you think you had simply by it being your turn to possibly alter the path or speed of any balls that come into contact with that rack during the course fo your turn at the table? Did he have a right to remove it No he did not. However, he could have pointed out to you that the rack would not count in his wager if any ball came into contact with the rack during the course of your turn.

marek

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
WPA Regulations:
4.2 Removing of the Ball Rack Template
After the break, the Ball Rack Template must be removed by the referee from the table as soon as possible without disturbing any of the balls. If a referee is not present and there are balls obstructing the removal of the Ball Rack Template, the opponent must be the one to remove the Ball Rack Template. If there are no obstructions, the player at the table may remove the Ball Rack Template without the opponent interfering.

With or without a referee present, the Ball Rack Template can only be removed if not more than 2 balls are an obstruction in its removal. Exception to this rule applies if 1 or more balls are frozen and obstructing the removal, in this case the Ball Rack Template stays in place until such time that the frozen balls are no longer an obstacle in the removal of the Ball Rack Template.
With the removal of the Ball Rack Template, the referee or opponent may use markers in the form of ball markers or chalk blocks which are at their disposal to mark the obstructing balls. The Ball Rack Template must be placed in its required spot away from the playing area including the rails and the balls placed back into their original position.

End of story

rjb1168

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I think it is bad etiquette on your part for not removing it after the break, if there were no balls stuck in it.

I think it should be MANDATORY to move it in that case, before the next ball is shot.

And it doesn't matter what type of game you are playing, or how many games in a set, or whether it is for funsies or for money.

****Agree 100%****

Harold Smith

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have to ask why would you not want to remove the template? I think along the same lines as another poster, after you shoot and there is a ball or two on the rack are you going to protest about me removing it then, I think you should have removed it ASAP after the break as the rules state.---Smitty

Double-Dave

Developing cue-addict
Silver Member
http://wpa-pool.com/web/the_regulations#4_2

If you are playing WPA rules the magic rack MUST be removed after the break when a ref is present under all circumstances.
If no ref is present the rack MUST be removed after the break if no more then 2 balls are hindering it's removal.

So in your scenario your opponent is completely within his rights to demand the magic rack be removed.

Regards, Dave.

EDIT: I see Marek allready posted the rule.

BmoreMoney

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's a tough call due to these reasons,
With nothing on it I would think you would have moved it and this would not of happened. I have had a ball roll funny going across it when hitting a soft shot. My thought is what if you miss and he get's stuck on it having to shoot across it. Just my thoughts.

+1, my thoughts exactly - nuther reason me no likey

No...he's a moron.

I played in a major Northeast event and used a piece of Predator chalk. I left it on the rail after I left the table. Everytime my opponent would pick it up and bring it to me before shooting. Even when it was nowhere near him. I let it go on most of the set...baffled me. Near the end I said "Does my chalk really bother you that much? He was horrible anyway and lost. Most bizarre thing I've seen.

Yes, I won the set.

Let the anger fuel you.